Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Otsar or strive right

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 8:33 pm
does anyone have info? prefer first hand.. how are the teachers? therapists? administration? thank you.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 8:39 pm
While I am not a parent of a child who went to Strivright, as someone who has been working there for many years, I just want to tell you what an unbelievable place it is. The warmth, care, and expertise of the staff is seen by all who walk through Strivright's doors. For the right child, it can be extraordinary.

Hopefully a parent of a child who went to Strivright can fill you in from a parent's point of view.

sourstix

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 8:45 pm
not a parent but an aunt. about 10 yrs ago nephew went there and did wonders. dont know how its like today

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 9:22 pm
I am a parent of a strivright graduate. The school is really amazing! The staff really cares for your child as an individual and works hard to get to goals. The director Mrs. Bravman puts her heart and soul into the place and it really shows.
The classes are grouped according to age and ability. There are integrated classes and classes only for those with IEPs. As far as the curriculum, they usually teach one theme throughout all ages and will teach the lessons according to level. They problem solve, cause & effect, and most importantly build listening and speaking skills. At the end of each day, the kids come home with a full page of what they did that day. This way you can discuss what they did daily.
They have 'specials' which is either art, music, or literacy. Each special has a separate teacher.
They use a great social skills program which has a skill of the week. The kids respond really well to it.
The therapists have been great. They have accomplished so many goals and have been great communicating with me.

Overall my child really blossomed in strivright!

zigi

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 9:35 pm
I was very happy with otsar. my son went there for 2 years he was barely verbal and now he talks! sentances! there is music and dance.

the world's best mom

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 10:32 pm
My ds went to both. He was in Strivright when he was two years old, but never for preschool. I thought it was a great program, though he was still non-verbal by the time he aged out. It wasn't enough for him. It was great for kids with hearing impairments.

My ds thrived in Otsar. They have different level classes- the smallest is 6 kids with one teacher and two assistants. They have classes of 8 and 10 and 12 as well. They work with you to help your child thrive. Their therapists are absolutely amazing. The director, Chashi Brand, gives great advice. Ds started out there completely non-verbal, and within a few months he was talking sentences.

Ashrei

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 11:30 pm
Nothing but great things to say about StrivRight. I second Crimson's comments. The therapists all coordinate too, and they make sure not to take him out when there's a special. My son loves music therapy. Each special is weekly. Excellent administration. The building is new, very clean, and beautiful!

I suppose it also depends on the issues your child is going for. My son just needs an accessible building, and he gets PT and OT, so might as well have it in-house. Nonetheless, they are customizing his learning experience.

I was surprised to read the world's best mom's experience there. I feel like helping a non-verbal child speak is exactly StrivRight's forte! I wonder why it didn't work out.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Aug 19 2015, 9:56 am
Bump..

sped

Post Wed, Aug 19 2015, 10:02 am
I have been out of the US for years, so I don't know about Strive rite, but Otzar always had a great name. Chashi is a wonderful person ad educator, staff is very dedicated and the atmosphere there is very positive.
I suggest to parents to walk into a place and try and feel their first impression. Is it warm, comfortable, positive vibes, etc? That is a really good sign.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Jan 06 2016, 3:16 pm
Bump again

Still looking for info

naomi2

Post Wed, Jan 06 2016, 7:50 pm
Another vote for striveright.
Plus chashie brand is not at otzar anymore.
Your best bet is take a tour of each school and ask alot of questions, that will tell you alot.
Also striveright is specificly a language based program. They take hearing impaired kids or kids that have language issues. Your child may not fit their criteria.
If striveright is not an option and you are willing to send to a top notch program that is not jewish but extremely accommodating, Please pm me

Pooh

Post Wed, Jan 06 2016, 9:54 pm
My dd has been in Strivright since early intervention. My understanding between the two schools is that they differ in what type of diagnoses they deal with. So that may be ultimately the deciding factor. But if they both are willing to take and you have to chose I'll give u my perspective from Strivright:

Simply put, best program ever!!! There's not a day hat goes by that I don't thank Hashem for orchestrating everything in my life so that my daughter can benefit from the school. The therapists, teachers assistants and entire staff are so warm and professional! They know exactly how to make sure your child thrives. They are constantly discussing with each other milestones and goals to make sure they are all on the same page. The parent is also very much involved. Just yesterday I was there for my daughters birthday party and ALL the therapists on her case present and past showed up on their own simply because they love her so much and wanted to be part of her birthday! The entire time I was just thanking Hashem for the progress my daughter has been making ever since her cochlear implant surgery 2 years ago and the dedication to her success in the schools part. They are sooooo committed to her (and every kid's) success! I love everything about it! It's the biggest blessing!

Good luck pm me for any specific questions

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Mar 29 2016, 3:41 pm
Bumping again bec need to make decision..

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Mar 29 2016, 9:26 pm
My daughter is in Striverite this year and I am very happy. They are caring & devoted. its overall a happy atmosphere. How old is your child?

mommy100

Post Tue, Mar 29 2016, 9:44 pm
What is your child's problem? Strivright focuses a lot on auditory learning since most children there have some sort of hearing device where as otzar does not have that kind of program.

Leahh

Post Tue, Mar 29 2016, 11:44 pm
I will be a dissenting voice.
I was not happy with striveright. I will not give more info publicly but I am not going amother so if you want to discuss it feel free to pm me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers