Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Hair covering when lighting Shabbat candles

hoboken

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 9:54 am
I normally cover my hair outside the house. Do I need to cover when I'm lighting Shabbat candles? It's just me and my kids around, so I never do.

heidi

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 9:59 am
I do even if it's just me and my immediate family. Then I take off the hair covering bcz. I hate covering unless absolutely necessary (people are around). But I don't cover my hair to make a bracha on food or asher yatzar, or while davening in the morning.
So why should candlelighting be any different?

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 10:19 am
hoboken wrote:
I normally cover my hair outside the house. Do I need to cover when I'm lighting Shabbat candles? It's just me and my kids around, so I never do.
why do you believe that you have to cover to light? I dont cover in my house either and dont cover specifically for brachot either.

BetsyTacy

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 11:43 am
The people I know who cover for candlelighting don't cover their hair any other time/place except for the shul sanctuary. I guess this goes along with a "holy time" for them, but I know no halachic basis for it if you generally don't cover to make brachot.

naomi6

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 6:40 pm
It's such a holy time and when we go to shul we usually cover so it should be by candlelighting

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 6:44 pm
I don't cover my hair at home and I am definitely not Mahmoud to cover when making a bracha. However I (personally, not because it was explained to me or because I was taught) feel that candle lighting is a very special time, and if I am wearing a hoodie I will try to remember to pull it over my head.

TeachersNotebook

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 11:06 pm
I always wondered if there was some halacha I don't know about regarding covering your head while saying a bracha. First, they asked me at the mikvah if I need to cover my hair when I say the bracha. I hadn't learned about this, so I assumed I didn't! But I guess some people do? And then there's this... my grandmother (who doesn't usually cover her hair or keep any tznius outside of shul) specifically covers her hair for candle lighting. I decided this is probably considered a "family minhag" then, and so I make sure my hair is covered by candle lighting too.

anony

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 11:31 pm
Both my mother and 2 grandmothers covered their hair during candlelighting even though they didn't cover normally. I cover out of the house and during candlelighting, not for any other brachot. Interesting that this is what many women did/do!

heidi

Post Mon, Mar 28 2016, 8:24 am
TeachersNotebook wrote:
I always wondered if there was some halacha I don't know about regarding covering your head while saying a bracha. First, they asked me at the mikvah if I need to cover my hair when I say the bracha. I hadn't learned about this, so I assumed I didn't! But I guess some people do? And then there's this... my grandmother (who doesn't usually cover her hair or keep any tznius outside of shul) specifically covers her hair for candle lighting. I decided this is probably considered a "family minhag" then, and so I make sure my hair is covered by candle lighting too.

I learned to take a washcloth and put it on your hair when making the bracha in the mikva. Kind of ironic in the situation imho, but that's what my mama said to do Rolling Eyes

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Mar 28 2016, 11:19 am
I usually cover my hair at home once I get dressed for the day. Yesterday I had a headache so I went about the house uncovered, but that's unusual for me. So when it comes time to light candles I already have something covering my hair.

The only exception is when I'm fresh out of the shower and my hair is still too wet to cover. Then I'll briefly cover just to light candles and then uncover to let my hair dry until DH comes home and we move to the shabbos table. This is not something I was taught, but I too have seen women just cover for shul and lighting candles, so it feels like the right thing to do. It certainly doesn't hurt!

Ruchel

Post Wed, Mar 30 2016, 3:29 am
My grandmother covers with a scarf with the candles.
I cover my hair outside (and not for candles), she doesn't.

chanchy123

Post Wed, Mar 30 2016, 5:27 am
I haven't read through the thread. However, yes, you should cover when you light candles. Because a married woman should cover her head when saying brachot just like men do. Unfortunately, I am not makpid enough on this. But yes, you should make a concerted effort to cover at least when saying the bracha lighting candles. Especially since this isn't something we're doing as part of our daily routine like before we are eating (I mean we should cover when saying a bracha then as well), and you sort of forget. This is something I am trying to work on myself. Good luck.

I'm editing to add that my Bubby A"H also would makpid to cover when saying brachot, even though she did not cover here hair outside of shul. She kept a few doily's in a drawer underneath her candlesticks.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Mar 30 2016, 7:28 am
I always cover at home, unless I have a migraine. If I need to light, I will put on one of my lightest scarves to make the bracha, and keep it on for the meal. I'll take it off again after birkas hamazon.

The Happy Wife

Post Wed, Mar 30 2016, 7:58 am
chanchy123 wrote:
Because a married woman should cover her head when saying brachot just like men do. Unfortunately, I am not makpid enough on this. But yes, you should make a concerted effort to cover at least when saying the bracha lighting candles. Especially since this isn't something we're doing as part of our daily routine like before we are eating (I mean we should cover when saying a bracha then as well), and you sort of forget.

I'm a BT and shortly after I got married I had a moment of "oops! Was I supposed to be covering my hair each time I made a bracha?" I guess I had heard that this is a thing some women do, but I never specifically learned this. So we asked a shaila and I was told that it's not required. So it's not universal that we should all be doing this.

I try to cover my hair when lighting only because I like to look nice and fully dressed for Shabbos and I guess I feel more fully dressed with my hair covered.

ValleyMom

Post Wed, Mar 30 2016, 10:14 am
I only cover my hair in shul. I never cover my hair when I light shabbos candles.

sleepybeauty

Post Wed, Mar 30 2016, 11:24 am
I'm pretty sure that a woman is not obligated to cover her hair while making Brachos, but a man is not allowed to make a Bracha in front of a married woman whose hair is uncovered.
I think Sefardim may be more machmir, but I'm not sure.

Even though I don't usually cover my hair at home, I would still feel weird lighting with my hair uncovered.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels