Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Working FT and nursing

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Mar 29 2016, 8:10 pm
Currently expecting my 2nd and working full time.

Can you share your experiences of nursing and working full time? Pumping/feeding schedule, did you feel like it was doable or too much, and any and all tips that would be helpful.

I'm extremely nervous that I won't have the time/strength to do it but it's very important to me to not lose out because I'm working.

Thanks for your help!

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Mar 29 2016, 8:17 pm
I was able to do it. BH.
I shared an office with one other woman. She knew to knock and wait if the door was closed.
I kept the pump at work and brought home the milk and pumping gear for washing. I slso kept a spare set of gear at work for emergencies.
Sometimes I didn't pump as much as baby needed during the day so I gave the babysitter a can of powdered formula to use when needed.

STovah

Post Tue, Mar 29 2016, 8:47 pm
I was able to. I left my pump at work and just brought the attachments back and forth. I either pumped in an empty office or private room that HR made available for pumping or in my own office, 3x a day, until my kids were at least a year old. I did not sleep train or drop nighttime feedings as I wanted to maintain my supply.

chocolatecake

Post Tue, Mar 29 2016, 8:53 pm
I was away from my babies 7.5 hours a day and pumped till both my kids were a yr. There was an empty room downstairs that had a lock and I pumped there. I kept the pump at work and brought the gear home every day for cleaning. I pumped twice a day. Once in a.while if u cazy busy I only pumped once. It was actually kind of nice to be forced to stop what I was doing twice a day and have tem minutes of peace and quiet as I pumped.

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Mar 29 2016, 9:35 pm
I'm doing it now. Its really hard. Your situation is a little different though because you have another child already and probably more things to do. I'm away from my baby about 10 hours a day Sad I'm counting down for when he turns a year! I don't produce enough milk for me to only pump for the 4 feedings he gets while I'm away so I end up pumping 6xs a day. I pump in the morning before he wakes up, then I pump during my drive (wearing a coat to cover my sides, a nursing cover and a hands free bra), once again in the middle of my day, during my lunch break, during my commute home and then at 9pm (I'm actually pumping now!). "People" say they can get enough milk after pumping for 15 minutes, but I don't know if thats typical for most people. Don't be discouraged if your supply is not like that. I usually end up pumping twice for 25 minutes and 4 times for 35 minutes. If you really want to do this, I'd say to invest in a good pump (medela), extra pump parts, a hands free bra, boon grass to dry the pump parts quickly, lots of lanolin or coconut oil, and make lots of lactation cookies.
Hatzlacha!

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, Mar 30 2016, 12:13 pm
I left my pump at work and pumped 2-3 times a day. I also used to pump one side in the morning when I nursed the other side.
It was very hard for me to get such frequent breaks and I was not comfortable in the room I had so by 4 months my milk was practically non existent when pumping and I switched to formula we were all much happier.
But it is most definitely doable.

besty

Post Wed, Mar 30 2016, 3:27 pm
are you going back to work full time with 2 babys? im working full time with one baby I pump twice a day and my babysitter is next to my office so I take my lunch break and go nurse her once shes 7 months kh and bh so far working nicely!!

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Mar 30 2016, 3:42 pm
Following. Due before pesach and just got my medela from my insurance. Trying to figure out how many spare parts and bottles I should buy. The pump comes with nothing extra...

How early should I pump? Can I start immediately after feedings even if nothing comes out to stimulate extra production?

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Mar 30 2016, 9:58 pm
My baby is 7 months old now and my supply is not doing too well, hence I have to pump 6 times a day to get enough. Medela officially says that you need dry parts every time you pump in order for the parts to work correctly. For the past few months I've just been using 2 sets, kept them in a cooler with me at work and I would reuse them a bunch of times while they still had milk on them. It worked for a few months, but then my supply was decreasing so I called medela to troubleshoot. Thats when they told me the parts need to be dry. They sent me new parts for free and I recently have been trying to pump on only dry parts, but honestly, I haven't really noticed a difference. I'd say in the beginning you can start of with 2 sets of parts.

In terms of bottles, I like to have the number of bottles my baby is drinking when I'm gone plus at least 2-4 to take with me to work to pump. ( I also keep breastmilk storage bags in my pumping bag in case I forget to bring enough bottles.)

I started pumping when my baby was 2 weeks old to build up my supply and went back to work when he was 3 months old. I think he was eating every 2 hours so I would try to pump maybe 30 min- 1 hour after he ate. Morning is usually the best time to pump because thats when you get the most milk. Pumping even when very little comes out should still help build up your supply. Eventually, more milk should come out at that time if you're consistent with the time(s) that you pump.

Its good to start pumping soon after your baby is born because you will usually produce more milk than you need during the first few weeks while your body is regulating and figuring out how much it needs to produce. Starting to pump 2 weeks postpartum may have been too early for me to start because I ended up having more milk than I was able to freeze. Hashem has His ways though because my sister had a baby 3 months after I had mine and had difficulty with her milk supply so I was able to give her baby my freezer stash!)

I hope this was helpful! B'shaa tova

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Mar 30 2016, 10:37 pm
amother wrote:
My baby is 7 months old now and my supply is not doing too well, hence I have to pump 6 times a day to get enough. Medela officially says that you need dry parts every time you pump in order for the parts to work correctly. For the past few months I've just been using 2 sets, kept them in a cooler with me at work and I would reuse them a bunch of times while they still had milk on them. It worked for a few months, but then my supply was decreasing so I called medela to troubleshoot. Thats when they told me the parts need to be dry. They sent me new parts for free and I recently have been trying to pump on only dry parts, but honestly, I haven't really noticed a difference. I'd say in the beginning you can start of with 2 sets of parts.

In terms of bottles, I like to have the number of bottles my baby is drinking when I'm gone plus at least 2-4 to take with me to work to pump. ( I also keep breastmilk storage bags in my pumping bag in case I forget to bring enough bottles.)

I started pumping when my baby was 2 weeks old to build up my supply and went back to work when he was 3 months old. I think he was eating every 2 hours so I would try to pump maybe 30 min- 1 hour after he ate. Morning is usually the best time to pump because thats when you get the most milk. Pumping even when very little comes out should still help build up your supply. Eventually, more milk should come out at that time if you're consistent with the time(s) that you pump.

Its good to start pumping soon after your baby is born because you will usually produce more milk than you need during the first few weeks while your body is regulating and figuring out how much it needs to produce. Starting to pump 2 weeks postpartum may have been too early for me to start because I ended up having more milk than I was able to freeze. Hashem has His ways though because my sister had a baby 3 months after I had mine and had difficulty with her milk supply so I was able to give her baby my freezer stash!)

I hope this was helpful! B'shaa tova

Super helpful! It's not my first but I will be returning to work earlier than previously. Before it was late enough to already have adequate supply and frozen before I returned (however supply did drop so it ended up not being enough even with pumping...). I now will be returning earlier with having longer hours than last time most likely...
Guess I should get another set of those parts that hook to the bottles... I had a medela last time. I saved the parts but should look to see if all those bottles and parts are still good. (Obviously will clean well before the first use).

Queen6

Post Wed, Mar 30 2016, 10:42 pm
My question is WHY? You do realize that's formula is available. By you being stressed over pumping and feelings is not gonna be a help or benefit to the baby.

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Mar 31 2016, 7:24 pm
Queen6 wrote:
My question is WHY? You do realize that's formula is available. By you being stressed over pumping and feelings is not gonna be a help or benefit to the baby.

Because nursing is an incredible bonding experience with my baby that I'm not ready to give up, although formula is definitely waaaay easier.
Also, nursing makes me really skinny Very Happy

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Mar 31 2016, 7:36 pm
Queen6 wrote:

1. Bonding.
2. Health benefits to baby can't be compared to formula.
3. Immunities are passed through.
4. Health benefits to mom.
5. Mom gets oxytocin that helps during tough mommy hood times.

And if it doesn't work, it doesn't work.but I am going to do my best! And I am not against supplementing if needed. I just want to try.

HonesttoGod

Post Fri, Apr 01 2016, 11:07 am
amother wrote:
1. Bonding.
2. Health benefits to baby can't be compared to formula.
3. Immunities are passed through.
4. Health benefits to mom.
5. Mom gets oxytocin that helps during tough mommy hood times.

And if it doesn't work, it doesn't work.but I am going to do my best! And I am not against supplementing if needed. I just want to try.

What you write is true but this last one, for a stressed out mom working full time taking care of two kids and nursing and pumping it is not always so. In fact the stress can be felt by the baby and can make them cranky, unhappy, and "stressed".

you have to do what is best for you, try it out of course but formula is there to help if needed. Don't feel bad or guilty for doing either.

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, Apr 01 2016, 12:21 pm
Totally true about not getting too stressed about it. Hence my desire to try to figure things out, get tips and suggestions, and just look at my options before baby even shows up.

I did get the free container from my OB that enfamil gives out just in case. Last time I used it as a backup with a babysitter but it wasn't needed in the end. So I am willing but I would rather try to nurse and pump if possible and good for baby.

myym

Post Fri, Apr 01 2016, 12:36 pm
I have nursed all my children past a year and I have always been working 6-8 hours a day. It is very doable and totally 100% worth the effort!
I personally recommend the Medella handpump. I never used the electric pumps. Way too cumbersome. I pump every 3.5 hours..more or less..
just some inspiration:
One of my kids was on a feeding tube for the first 5 months of her life and I Solely pumped for those months, and went on to nurse her from the age of 5 months to a year and a half, BH!

lapmom

Post Fri, Apr 01 2016, 12:54 pm
I nursed my baby for 13 months, pumped till she was 7. It was hard but it was doable. I worked 7 hours a day and pumped twice. I used the Medela Electric pump, it was very good until it broke and thats when I decided to stop. It was getting too hard and I didn't have a normal place to pump, I did it in the bathroom, it was gross, I kept on saying that no more, I am stopping... I am glad I kept it up because my baby refused formula and started solids by 7 months.

As far as having enough bottles, I always left bottles at home... so I bought bags for emergencies..

pmom

Post Fri, Apr 01 2016, 1:02 pm
I'm working full time and pumping 2 times a day it's murder!!! my cycle is also all messed up from pumping. seriously considering calling it quites right now... just waiting till after pesach cause don't have the strength to do it before

mha3484

Post Fri, Apr 01 2016, 1:03 pm
I nursed until 16 months but I work 10-15 walking from my home. I started this job when my baby was 2 mo old. I set up my schedule so that the last thing I did before leaving was nurse. I would nurse at lunch time, he would take a bottle of pumped milk around 3pm and I would nurse him when I got home. I detest pumping so this work really well for me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics