Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Cleaning stored clothes

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Mar 31 2016, 5:24 pm
So I had stored my DC's baby clothes- all clean and dry. I just opened the first box and saw yellow stains on the white parts. How best to clean it? I expecting DC2 soon!!
6 month clothes didn't have them. How to avoid for next time?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Mar 31 2016, 6:00 pm
Soak the yellowed clothes in a solution of oxiclean powder dissolved in boiling (not hot) water.

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Mar 31 2016, 6:39 pm
Can I let the water cool down? Doesn't hot water set stains?

pause

Post Thu, Mar 31 2016, 6:45 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Soak the yellowed clothes in a solution of oxiclean powder dissolved in boiling (not hot) water.
I do it in warm water, soak it overnight but not longer. Whatever clothing doesn't get clean from doing that is gone.

amother
Gray

Post Fri, Apr 01 2016, 3:43 pm
So if oxiclean doesn't work, it won't come out? What about bleach? Some were all white onesies...

And what can I do to avoid this the next time?

pause

Post Sat, Apr 02 2016, 7:45 pm
amother wrote:
So if oxiclean doesn't work, it won't come out? What about bleach? Some were all white onesies...

IME, if oxi doesn't work then bleach won't either.

Most yellow stains come from spit-up, and the only thing you can do is wash and/or soak the item right away. Even then, sometimes it doesn't help and it's too bad. That's how it is with a baby.

amother
Gray

Post Sat, Apr 02 2016, 8:52 pm
What's annoying is that everything was boxed clean. Sad

pause

Post Sun, Apr 03 2016, 7:45 am
amother wrote:
What's annoying is that everything was boxed clean. Sad
I know. It's the storage that brings out those latent stains. Somehow the stains are really already built into the fabric but can become "invisible" when washed.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 03 2016, 7:55 am
amother wrote:

If there are all white, all cotton, items that you are willing to risk with bleach, prepare a large basin of very cold water, add some bleach and mix to evenly distribute. About a gallon of water and 1/4 cup bleach.
Add the white garments (do not overstuff the basin, allow room so the item is not bunched up) and allow to soak for 10 minutes. You can mix it every few minutes with the length of a cleaning toothbrush if you feel it needs it. Sometimes it may need 15 minutes but that long can sometimes weaken the fabric fibers, so keep that in mind.
Hope that works for you! It has worked for me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry