Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Kitchen layout: opinions please
Previous  1  2

amother
White

Post Wed, Mar 30 2016, 6:47 pm
tweety1 wrote:
My layout was done by where I bought my kitchen. Its part of their job to design a layout if needed

I hear you. I understand that the kitchen place can design the layout but I want to come up with what's convenient for me personally, and that is why I specifically want to hear the opinions of other imamothers. [b]

amother
White

Post Wed, Mar 30 2016, 7:53 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
You should be aware that some companies have their own, self-certified "sabbath mode" -- like a K on food. You should check the Star-K website for the list of those ovens with their certification; that way you know who is behind it to be sure it will function according to halacha.

That's a good point, what's Shabbos mode anyway?

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Mar 30 2016, 7:59 pm
amother wrote:
That's a good point, what's Shabbos mode anyway?

See here for a full explanation and lists of Star-K certified appliances: Web Page Name

For an oven it usually means the following:
1) it won't automatically turn off if left on for 12 hours
2) no lights or fans or beeps will turn on when you open the door
3) temperature display is blank
4) if oven is set in a timed mode, no beeps or lights when it turns off
5) Not acceptable by most Rabbonim, but is by Star-K: ability to adjust temperature on Yom Tov (may sure to ask your LOR if you want to use this).

I'd recommend checking out the Star-K's info for full details.

While Sabbath Mode is handy for ovens, it is much more critical for newer refrigerator models as those often have electronic controls where various things happen (which you cannot override unless you have Sabbath Mode) when you open the door.

amother
White

Post Wed, Mar 30 2016, 8:05 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
See here for a full explanation and lists of Star-K certified appliances: Web Page Name

For an oven it usually means the following:
1) it won't automatically turn off if left on for 12 hours
2) no lights or fans or beeps will turn on when you open the door
3) temperature display is blank
4) if oven is set in a timed mode, no beeps or lights when it turns off
5) Not acceptable by most Rabbonim, but is by Star-K: ability to adjust temperature on Yom Tov (may sure to ask your LOR if you want to use this).

I'd recommend checking out the Star-K's info for full details.

While Sabbath Mode is handy for ovens, it is much more critical for newer refrigerator models as those often have electronic controls where various things happen (which you cannot override unless you have Sabbath Mode) when you open the door.

Oh man, that is sophisticated. I am used to old style appliances.

I actually never use oven on yomtov, I'm kind of scared to leave it blasting heat for 48+ hours. Because I've never used it I'm not even sure why someone would.

Why would one want to keep their oven on on yomtov? Is it for something like baking large roasts for a seuda that you can't make before yomtov, or there is no room in the fridge for; or cakes for a crowd if you run low? Or more challahs if you see you're running out?

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Mar 30 2016, 8:07 pm
amother wrote:

Why would one want to keep their oven on on yomtov? Is it for something like baking large roasts for a seuda that you can't make before yomtov, or there is no room in the fridge for; or cakes for a crowd if you run low? Or more challahs if you see you're running out?

I often leave on two ovens over yom tov (even a 3 day one). One at a higher temperature to actually cook (usually chicken or roast, but sometimes other things either that couldn't be made in advance or taste better fresh) and one at a lower temperature to warm things up.

Obviously we do not hold like the Star-K that the oven temperature can be adjusted on YT.

amother
White

Post Wed, Mar 30 2016, 8:22 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
I often leave on two ovens over yom tov (even a 3 day one). One at a higher temperature to actually cook (usually chicken or roast, but sometimes other things either that couldn't be made in advance or taste better fresh) and one at a lower temperature to warm things up.

Obviously we do not hold like the Star-K that the oven temperature can be adjusted on YT.

I hear, thank you for the clarification.
I guess I'm not at the stage of cooking so much yet and can still get away with stovetop cooking (not kugels or cakes obviously Smile ).

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Mar 30 2016, 9:39 pm
There are a few ranges out there where you can adjust the oven temperature according to just about everyone. They tend to be either really pricey, like Wolf, or really cheap — like some apartment ranges. Or really old, like before computer chips controlled the thermostat.

amother
White

Post Wed, Mar 30 2016, 11:05 pm
Guys, puleeze, can anyone chime in on the original dilemma: what do you think about the shared milchig&fleishig stove thing?

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Mar 30 2016, 11:39 pm
amother wrote:
Guys, puleeze, can anyone chime in on the original dilemma: what do you think about the shared milchig&fleishig stove thing?

There's nothing like separate stove. If you have a large family and cook a lot its just not convenait.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Mar 31 2016, 8:38 am
I do space planning and kitchen design professionally.

2 separate stoves are very convenient if you also have enough counter space. I've been very busy with work all week and did not have time to read your original post about your proposed layout. I assume you will have (at least) 2 sinks if you're asking about 2 stoves.

So here's the question: would you have adequate prep and serving space by both ranges? If yes, then 2 ranges will make your life easier. Your milchik range could be 24" wide instead of a standard 30".

amother
White

Post Thu, Mar 31 2016, 9:27 am
Rubberducky, you are 100% right about the a mint if prep area, that's why the existing counter size and the addition is guiding me in how to assign prep areas, as I need much less space for fleishig than for parve.

I Guess I didn't make it so clear: I do want two sinks and two stoves. Rather, the layout is a little questionable.

I do want two stoves. according to the sizing of counters one of them would be parve (it's adjacent to larger prep area), while the second one would be between fleishig and milchig prep areas. And that's my dilemma: having a shared stove between dairy and meat.

The layout would be like that:

[this already exists]: Narrow piece of counter---parve stove---larger parve prep area---sink---smallest prep area for meat[end of current kitchen]---stove---medium-size dairy prep area---sink.

I am concerned about inconvenience of sharing the second stove between milchig and fleishig. However, switching fleishig and parve area would offer too much of meat prep area and too little of parve. Plus then some oven would be across the kitchen from respective prep area, eg milchig oven by fleishig counters.

One thing I've just thought of (don't know how expensive it would be though) is move existing sink to the left, thereby shortening left prep area and increasing the middle one.

This maneuver would involve making a new sink opening and cutting off a piece of the countertop. Also, probably reconfiguring the base cabinet so it accommodates the sink. I have a feeling hat it may be quite expensive.

I now have 2 separate stoves with a small parve buffer in between. However, my parve prep area is away from the stove which is quite annoying.

saw50st8

Post Thu, Mar 31 2016, 9:36 am
I use one 36" cook top for meat and dairy. If I'm cooking both at the same time, I can use the left 2 burners for one, the right 2 burners for the other and nothing on the middle too. I find it convenient.

amother
White

Post Thu, Mar 31 2016, 9:42 am
I found a picture of a similar kitchen, except the island is sideways.

amother
White

Post Sun, Apr 03 2016, 11:57 pm
bump

anyone can weigh in on sharing a stove btw milchig and fleishig, and general layout?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen