Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Please help settle a disagreement

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Apr 03 2016, 7:30 pm
I am doing a sale for a manufacturer in my house. The agreement was that I would get a percentage of the sales.
I went to get the merchandise and I spent time setting it up. The manufacturer came to my house and didnt like the set up and told me to redo my room where I will be selling the items they want me to paint and get rid of the furniture in the room because they feel it is not nice looking and they refuse for a sale to happen until I fix up the place.
I argue that they are not willing to pay for it to be fixed up and it is fine the way it is, they want me to rearrange my whole basement for their needs. I told them that I have people sleeping in the room some shabbosim which they told me I could find other place for them because they want me to move things around.
Who is correct here? Do I have to accommodate their needs when I am doing the selling and only getting a commission.

seeker

Post Sun, Apr 03 2016, 7:43 pm
Never heard of such a thing. But it seems like it's up to you - if you don't want to rearrange your place you don't have to but then they will take their sale elsewhere.

Though I'm not really sure I fully understand the setup here.

justforfun87

Post Sun, Apr 03 2016, 7:52 pm
This sounds like a big financial risk for you. Are you confident in this product selling? Most of these MLM gigs do not pay off.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Apr 03 2016, 9:11 pm
OP here

First it is not a MLM. A manufacturer had merchandised returned to them and they want to sell it for half price.
I am very confident in the product and I know people want it.
I did not buy the inventory I am just selling it for them and getting a percentage.
Yes they could take the merchandise back but I think they really want me to do the selling for them.
They want me to record every detail write down the item number, take a picture of it, and have the customers write their email and cell phone number so they could be called when new merchandise comes in. I dont want to do all this because if I have several people at once I wont have time to help the customers and I am afraid they will leave and there goes my commission.
Yes I will write down what was sold but I dont want to be bothered to do everything else.

seeker

Post Sun, Apr 03 2016, 9:33 pm
Again, sounds like if you want the business you do it their way. If you don't want to be bothered, then don't be bothered and let someone else have the bother and the commission. No one gets something for nothing.

cm

Post Sun, Apr 03 2016, 10:31 pm
All of this should be clarified ahead of time...consider it a lesson learned, and next time (if there is one) will go more smoothly.

greenfire

Post Sun, Apr 03 2016, 10:55 pm
did they not know your setup when they hired you ?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Apr 03 2016, 11:02 pm
greenfire wrote:
did they not know your setup when they hired you ?

No they didnt. And they never told me anything when we spoke they just gave me the merchandise and told me to go sell.

greenfire

Post Sun, Apr 03 2016, 11:12 pm
I think they're asking too much ... so long as you're able to sell

not sure I'd want to shop where I'm being bugged about my private information

they sound like they lured you in with something easy & want to milk you for more than it's worth

[who rearranges their house and stops having guests over ?!]

The Happy Wife

Post Sun, Apr 03 2016, 11:59 pm
I would be annoyed if I went to buy something and they pushed for my email and phone number. Why are both needed? Put a sign up sheet, and people can give whatever info they want without feeling pressured. And why you they want you to take a picture of the merchandise they give you? They should know what they gave. It sounds very odd.

It does sound like a lot of demands. However, they may have a point about the room. I don't know what you're selling, but it might be off-putting to go to a store or sale that doubles as sleeping quarter (beds, nightstands, etc). I don't know what your setup is, though, so I couldn't say if it's reasonable or not.

DrMom

Post Mon, Apr 04 2016, 3:31 am
Since you work on commission, I would think that if your room is too unsalesroom-like, *you* would be the one to decide whether it is worth investing in fixing it up. After all, if is really not conducive to sales, you won't sell anything.

If they have strict requirements about the sales rooms, then they should have told you that ahead of time. Were these details specified in your contract?

If you customers would bristle at having to give up private information (although, sadly, this is a growing trend...), then your sales won't be that high anyway.

It sounds like there were serious gaps in their training/onboarding process for new salespersons. If I were you, I would re-evaluate whether I want this job.

imasinger

Post Mon, Apr 04 2016, 4:22 am
It sounds quite a bit off to me.

They basically are using your home, rent free, as a showroom, and asking you to work as sales representative, unsalaried, on commission only. And to get personal info from your friends for their use. Now, on top of that, they expect you to fix up the space to their specifications, on your dime?

They do not sound like honest or scrupulous business partners. Can you get out of this?

kollel wife

Post Mon, Apr 04 2016, 10:37 am
I know this doesn't address the bigger question - but can take photos of the merchandise in advance?

watergirl

Post Mon, Apr 04 2016, 12:27 pm
Firstly - is this a one time sale, like for one night/week only? Or for an undetermined amount of time?

It sounds like there are 2 issues here - one is that you don't want to pay to fix up the room/take out the furniture that you need in there, etc. The other issue is that you don't want to do the work that they expect of you.

Can you set your own hours? How will people know to come - are you in charge of advertising? In theory, they are telling you to spend money and make a show room for them, and you have no promise of making the money back.

It sounds weird to me, but maybe if you would share a bit more about the merchandise, it would make more sense. Is this a frum company? If people are again unhappy, will you take returns (which would mean its the second time its been brought back)? Will you offer store credit? Are you in charge of the store? Most importantly - the product has already been returned once. Why has the product been returned? They are, at this point, considered "seconds". Can you tell us what it is? We can tell you from an outsiders perspective if its worth all the hassle.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics