Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
14 month old not walking or standing on her own
Previous  1  2

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Apr 04 2016, 7:23 am
amother wrote:
In my experience (and I'm not a professional, I still think you should be in touch with EI), you do want the baby to spend at least 4 months crawling. You also want a good amount of cruising (side walking holding on) before the baby is walking independently.

Pediatricians are often quite laissez faire when it comes to development, and don't even ask about crawling. I think you really need someone to feel the baby, observe, decide if she's floppy or stiff, just fine, and put your mind at ease.

My baby was slow to hit milestones, and it turns out she had a mild stiffness one side that was totally dismissed by the pediatrician.

EI was able to help her and get her on track.

Can I ask why a baby needs to crawl for 4 months?

The reason pediatricians don't make a big deal of these things, is because they're not a big deal.

ana21m

Post Mon, Apr 04 2016, 7:33 am
My daughter did not walk till 15 and half. My friend has a baby thats 15 months and does not stand. Her dr. Says shes double jointed and because of that will take her longer to walk....

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Apr 04 2016, 7:40 am
mommy3b2c wrote:

The reason pediatricians don't make a big deal of these things, is because they're not a big deal.

Yeah, I used to think that. Till one of my kids had autism, which the pediatrician completely missed, while reassuring for 3 years that "every kid is different and develops at their own pace". Bh, I trusted my gut and started the EI process when he was 2 even though the doctor brushed me off and said there was no need.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Apr 04 2016, 7:54 am
amother wrote:
Yeah, I used to think that. Till one of my kids had autism, which the pediatrician completely missed, while reassuring for 3 years that "every kid is different and develops at their own pace". Bh, I trusted my gut and started the EI process when he was 2 even though the doctor brushed me off and said there was no need.

I'm sorry for your experience. I bless you that your son should grow and teach his potential. However, your particular story does not mean that all children who are late have issues. Most of the time, it's because children reach milestones at different times.

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Apr 04 2016, 9:08 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
I'm sorry for your experience. I bless you that your son should grow and teach his potential. However, your particular story does not mean that all children who are late have issues. Most of the time, it's because children reach milestones at different times.

I agree, I just don't think that "the doctor says it's fine" is the best way to know for sure. It wasn't just my doctor, it's well-known that doctors aren't the best at distinguishing late bloomers from actual issues. I have other kids who were just late bloomers, and IME it comes down to a number of factors together. How late and how many different things are lagging? Are they behind but close, or are they not even close (example, a one year old who can't sit up alone vs a one year old who can't stand up alone). Those who work in intervention tend to make the distinction better

Health is a Virture

Post Mon, Apr 04 2016, 11:09 am
why not get her evaluated by a PT? evaluations are usually free if you do through the school system (in America) or your insurance? Often the evaluator can give you suggestions and help you along, and if there is a problem, your child can get the proper help that she needs.

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Apr 04 2016, 11:25 am
mommy3b2c wrote:

Crawling is important for developing hand eye coordination.
It also builds core strength.
It is an important stage.

It's very bizarre, but the pediatricians don't care about it, while if you talk to any OT or PT, they do.
My pediatrician missed some developmental issues in two of my children. By the second one, I had learned already to do my own research and not to "wait and see" as the pediatrician recommended.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Apr 04 2016, 2:28 pm
Maybe find out your family history on both sides.

All my kids walked between 17-19 months with crawling starting at about 10 months or later.

My MIL was a really really late walker, always blame the MIL Wink

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Apr 04 2016, 2:38 pm
amother wrote:
Crawling is important for developing hand eye coordination.
It also builds core strength.
It is an important stage.

It's very bizarre, but the pediatricians don't care about it, while if you talk to any OT or PT, they do.
My pediatrician missed some developmental issues in two of my children. By the second one, I had learned already to do my own research and not to "wait and see" as the pediatrician recommended.

I guess well have to agree to disagree.

Also, in curious what you think should be done when a child crawls at 8 months and then walks at 9 months? Should we keep putting them on the floor and make them crawl?

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Apr 04 2016, 3:28 pm
Op , my kids all walked VERY late. They are all low muscle tone. Some more, some less. My baby now is 15 months and there's no dreaming of standing. Let alone walking.

I was the low muscle tone baby. I can blame myself Smile My top pediatrician told me if I was like that, no need to worry. My kids all catched up BH. One before my baby walked at 23 months!! He did have therapy. I took therapy for some of my kids, not all. He's my smartest kid, and the most physical delayed. Very Happy he is doing so fine now bh.

My earliest walker was 18 months. The latest 23. !! My kids are all fine bh. My boys are real boys, ask my neighbors Wink

My mom always said that I didn't move from the corner where I sat till 17 months! My grandma made crazy my mom to take me to the doctor cuz something is very wrong with me.... Well, come look at me today. I'm running around, always busy , I can't sit still. My blood is always rushing. When I'm in the mood of course Wink

Op , if everything else seems fine, no need to worry. Of course make sure with your pediatrician. He's the professional.

Good luck!

itsme123

Post Mon, Apr 04 2016, 4:09 pm
amother wrote:
Op , my kids all walked VERY late. They are all low muscle tone. Some more, some less. My baby now is 15 months and there's no dreaming of standing. Let alone walking.

I was the low muscle tone baby. I can blame myself Smile My top pediatrician told me if I was like that, no need to worry. My kids all catched up BH. One before my baby walked at 23 months!! He did have therapy. I took therapy for some of my kids, not all. He's my smartest kid, and the most physical delayed. Very Happy he is doing so fine now bh.

My earliest walker was 18 months. The latest 23. !! My kids are all fine bh. My boys are real boys, ask my neighbors Wink

My mom always said that I didn't move from the corner where I sat till 17 months! My grandma made crazy my mom to take me to the doctor cuz something is very wrong with me.... Well, come look at me today. I'm running around, always busy , I can't sit still. My blood is always rushing. When I'm in the mood of course Wink

Op , if everything else seems fine, no need to worry. Of course make sure with your pediatrician. He's the professional.

Good luck!

Not op but need to thank you!!! My 17 month old not walking yet and that's hos only delay I drive myself crazy to bother him with therapy or not... Thanks for calming my nerves!!!

mha3484

Post Mon, Apr 04 2016, 4:12 pm
My baby is not walking at 17 months and he gets PT once a week since the fall. It has been fantastic for him. He is low tone and has made progress with sitting and crawling.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Apr 04 2016, 4:38 pm
itsme123 wrote:
Not op but need to thank you!!! My 17 month old not walking yet and that's hos only delay I drive myself crazy to bother him with therapy or not... Thanks for calming my nerves!!!

Im glad I could calm you Smile however taking therapy is definitely recommended and surely helps to speed up things. Therapy also makes stronger the child. I'm only talking from my experience,with low muscle tone kids.

I'm to lazy to bother with therapy by this baby cuz she's not so extremely floppy. Only quite floppy Wink I'm trying to do the therapy by myself sometimes....I'm experienced Smile

However you decide, don't worry. You can apply and see if your kid is approved. It certainly doesn't hurt.

gp2.0

Post Mon, Apr 04 2016, 4:43 pm
Afaik, as long as the kid is moving around - no matter what form that movement takes - everything is fine.

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Apr 04 2016, 4:51 pm
What can you lose by doing PT ?,

BTW my younger unvaxed kids (same genes), reached all milestones earlier then my older vaxed kids

gp2.0

Post Mon, Apr 04 2016, 4:57 pm
amother wrote:
What can you lose by doing PT ?,

Time and money, with the added bonus of anxiety and frustration over nothing.

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Apr 05 2016, 1:20 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
I guess well have to agree to disagree.

Also, in curious what you think should be done when a child crawls at 8 months and then walks at 9 months? Should we keep putting them on the floor and make them crawl?

If a child goes straight to walking I wouldn't stop her.
But I also wouldn't push it too soon. I wouldn't give her a walker, or encourage walking right away. Each stage is important.
Cruising for a while is also important for developing a fluid movement, before walking. My baby's PT discouraged the walker until she had some nice fluid cruising.

Basically, intervention is important, but there is a "chochma" to it, and a professional should be able to determine if PT is overkill or necessary.
I wouldn't want to "wait and see", and then regret that I waited (as I do with one of my kids, who ended up needing quite a bit of PT - the later you start, the more effort it takes)

Sara89

Post Tue, Apr 05 2016, 6:46 am
My baby is 14 months too and is up to the same. He is getting PT at home once a week for an hour at no cost to us. We got him evaluated after pediatrician recommended at his 9 month visit because he seemed nowhere near ready for crawling. It turns out he is low muscle tone. He is making lots of progress since starting PT. Not that I think he wouldn't be without it but it's definitely helpful to have someone work with him every week and give me "homework suggestions" of activities/exercises to try based on what he is up to...similar to what you are asking. Definitely helping him get stronger and "catch up" sooner. Plus he loves the toys she comes with. I'm in NJ. Feel free to ask me more about the EI process if u r here too.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics