Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
How often is normal to call a teacher at home?

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Apr 05 2016, 3:18 pm
School culture has made it customary for teacher's to give out their home numbers to parents for contact. Over-all, parents are respectful and reasonable. Recently, one parent has been calling very frequently for things that really don't seem important. The child is not a difficult or complex child that should necessitate such frequent contact. Should I lay down the law and set some sort of limits? Should I disallow this parent to call at home, and only via detailed message with the school secretary to screen and discourage silly calls?

Opinions?

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Apr 05 2016, 3:25 pm
Which grade do you teach?

Do you have an answering machine? If so, let the calls go there. My answering machine message is "If you leave a message, we will try to get back to you" indicating that if not, I have the prerogative to not return a call. Once a message is left, you can decide if you should call back or not, but then it's on your terms.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Apr 05 2016, 3:29 pm
amother wrote:
Which grade do you teach?

Do you have an answering machine? If so, let the calls go there. My answering machine message is "If you leave a message, we will try to get back to you" indicating that if not, I have the prerogative to not return a call. Once a message is left, you can decide if you should call back or not, but then it's on your terms.

1st grade. Yes, we have an answering machine, but I feel it isn't respectful to ignore a message. Also, the messages left are usually generic, leaving me with no information about if it is actually important to return the call, or to just let it go.

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Apr 05 2016, 3:36 pm
amother wrote:
1st grade. Yes, we have an answering machine, but I feel it isn't respectful to ignore a message. Also, the messages left are usually generic, leaving me with no information about if it is actually important to return the call, or to just let it go.

For first graders, issues can be really monumental and if the message is generic, you have no way of knowing if you must return the call ASAP or if it can wait a few days.

In that case, whenever you find yourself returning a call for an unimportant issue, I would tell the mother directly that I don't have a problem if you call me at home for something important, and that's why I returned your call... But in this case (and I'd identify to the mother clearly why) it would have been better for you to write a note and send it with your daughter or just leave me a more detailed message on my machine so that I can take care of the issue without NEEDING to call you back. Most normal mothers will get the message.

If she still continues, then I'd speak to the principal and have her explain to the mother that it's not ok to call teachers at home for non-essential issues.

groisamomma

Post Tue, Apr 05 2016, 3:43 pm
Turn your answering machine off. It will ring and ring and the parent will send a note the next day.

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Apr 05 2016, 3:54 pm
I've worked in 2 different schools,
in my first school, the culture there is to call and call and bother and bother until you get what you want/need.
I would spend HOURS each week talking to parents on the phone. Of course the first few times, I was patient and understanding as the parents talked and chewed my ear off, but it started getting out of hand where one specific mother, who was a nervous wreck, would literally call each night to tell me when her daughter couldn't do a homework sheet (this is 5th grade)
when I spoke to my principal about it, she was like well you have a difficult class, this is what happens, which I realized only after I left, is crazy.

then I switched schools, and thank gd, the rules and procedures were set up so that you can be available, but to a point. I emailed every parent at the beginning of the year saying if there is an issue, email me first and then if needed we will speak on the phone.
If an issue arose that needed a few phone calls, we were advised by the principals to make a meeting during school hours. thank gd!

tovasara

Post Wed, Apr 06 2016, 8:54 am
I suggest that you control the situation. Say something like "I see you feel we need to be in touch about your child often these days. I suggest we speak on e.g. Monday at 8:00pm, and Thursday at 8:00pm for 10 minutes each for the next two weeks. after that we can reevaluation whether we need to speak so often about your child".

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Apr 06 2016, 9:13 am
tovasara wrote:
I suggest that you control the situation. Say something like "I see you feel we need to be in touch about your child often these days. I suggest we speak on e.g. Monday at 8:00pm, and Thursday at 8:00pm for 10 minutes each for the next two weeks. after that we can reevaluate whether we need to speak so often about your child".

That's actually an interesting idea. Thanks

causemommysaid

Post Wed, Apr 06 2016, 9:26 am
in my child's school the teachers set the policy.

the morning teacher sent home a note saying the procedure is 1) send a note to school if the issue can be resolved that way 2) call and leave a message with the secretary if you need to reach her during school hours 3) call at home and leave a voicemail if the issue needs more discussion

the afternoon teacher sent home a note saying the best way to reach her is through email and if a phone conversation is needed, she will call the parent.

incidentally, both teachers gave me their cell phone numbers for other reasons throughout the year but I never contact them that way although they have texted me on occasion for quick things.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics