Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
20 month old climbing out of crib HELP

proudema

Post Tue, Apr 05 2016, 9:35 pm
My 20 month old son either climbed out or fell out of his crib which happens to be a porta crib. Any suggestions? He's too young for a toddler bed and I'm hesitant to spend a boatload of money on a full size crib when he'll be ready for a bed in less than a year. Any ideas?? I'm worried about his safety and my sanity!

Goldie613

Post Tue, Apr 05 2016, 10:48 pm
Was this a one time thing? It could just be that he stood on something in the crib (a toy, baby bottle, etc) to give himself a couple more inches of height.

Re injuries - maybe put some padding on the floor near the crib, just in case?

Does your crib have different height settings? If it does, make sure the mattress is on the lowest one, so your little guy will be lower down in the crib, making it harder to climb out.

If all else fails and he's just an early climber, I'd say put a mattress on the floor to cushion any falls and then put a baby gate/fence around part of the room, or at least by the door, so that he can't go wandering through the whole house every time he escapes.

BTW, do you have older kids in the house? Because I know of two cases where little ones didn't climb out, but rather were helped out by older siblings who either wanted to play with the baby or thought the way to be a good older sibling was to help the baby get out.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Apr 06 2016, 3:02 am
Move him to a Pack n'Play. Even the most clever little monkeys can't seem to climb out of them. It's a good investment, because later on you can use them for a time out, or for when you can't watch him every single second and you need to do something that requires all of your attention. You can easily move it from room to room, so he can keep you company in the kitchen without getting under your feet, etc.

AlwaysThinking

Post Wed, Apr 06 2016, 3:19 am
If it becomes a thing then it's time for a toddler bed! Was the crib near any other furniture that he could have used to help him up? Or anything in the crib he could have used? If there's nothing you can take out or move to prevent it from happening - it's time!

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Apr 06 2016, 3:35 am
My 19 month old little monkey was climbing out of pack n plays and his crib on the lowest setting. While it was adorable to hear his little feet pitter patter across the house, it got old fast. I ended up removing the bottom mattress support for the crib, and now his crib mattress rests on the floor. I folded up a beach towel so there is something between the mattress and the floor, which might be pointless, because the floor is very clean. He is much lower hasn't climbed out in months (he's now 24 months).

Iymnok

Post Wed, Apr 06 2016, 4:02 am
Who says he's too young for a toddler bed?
Put one of those child safety things on the doorknob so he stays in his room. DS2 is now two and I just switched him. Everyone else I switched at 18mo or so

proudema

Post Wed, Apr 06 2016, 6:34 am
Thanks for all the helpful advice! Might just do the PAC n play for now, as I have one already.

pesek zman

Post Wed, Apr 06 2016, 6:37 am
Sleep sack

chocolatecake

Post Wed, Apr 06 2016, 7:43 am
My son climbed out of his crib at 19 months. Once he mastered one crib he got them all, didn't matter if it was packnplay, regular crib or porta crib. We bought him a sleep sack but I don't remember it helping much. I was very lucky because after a few weeks he randomly stopped doing it and in those few weeks I had a baby. Then a month or so later he started again and then I just moved him to a regular bed with a bar. I will warn you though that I ended up putting him to sleep with me lying next to him till he falls asleep because that was the easiest way to have him stay in his crib/bed and he is now three and still every night I ly in bed next to him till he falls asleep....

mha3484

Post Wed, Apr 06 2016, 7:46 am
My child climbed out of the pack and play years before the crib. its much easier to get out of.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics