Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Sweet and Sour Meatballs and Chicken

Amarante

Post Wed, Apr 06 2016, 3:22 pm
This is a pretty classic Ashkenazi sweet and sour sauce. Add some sour salt or vinegar if you want it less sweet. What makes it somewhat different is that potato is used as the binder for the meatballs which means it could be served for Pesach (minus the noodles unless they are of the Pesachdig variety Very Happy )

I don't particularly like wings so I used a cleaver to halve chicken thighs which I skinned to reduce the fat.

As I recall, my paternal Bubbe made a chicken and meatball dish which for some odd reason was called Chicken Fricassee. I don't recall it having a sweet and sour sauce though.

Sweet and Sour Meatballs and Chicken

Ingredients

Chicken and Sauce

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

1 onion, diced

2 cloves garlic, minced

2 pounds chicken wings

2 (8-ounce) cans tomato sauce

1 can chicken broth

3/4 cup sugar

2 teaspoons kosher salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

Meatballs

1 1/2 pounds ground beef

1 large red potato, peeled and grated

1/4 large onion, grated

1 clove garlic, minced

2 eggs

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

juice of 1 large lemon

Directions

Heat vegetable oil in a 5 quart sauce pan over medium heat. Add diced onion and garlic. Sauté until onions are soft, 5-6 minutes.

Add chicken, tomato sauce, chicken broth, sugar, salt, and pepper. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.

While the chicken is simmering, make the meatballs. In a large bowl, add ground beef, grated red potato, grated onion, garlic, eggs, salt, and pepper. Mix together until just combined.

Form one inch meatballs and drop into the simmering sauce. Simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.

Skim fat from top and discard. Add lemon juice and simmer for an additional 30 minutes. Serve over wide egg noodles. Enjoy!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics