Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
How to keep ur soup warm on Friday night?
Previous  1  2

jewishmom4

Post Wed, Apr 06 2016, 1:22 pm
my mom used to boil up before shabbos then wrap in a lg blanket, it was boiling!!!!!

Miri1

Post Wed, Apr 06 2016, 5:47 pm
I learned that as long as you are wrapping it before Shabbos, it can be completely wrapped in a towel (but this is because it isn't increasing in heat, as is the issue with a crock pot).

But for safety reasons, remove the pot from the stovetop, place on a trivet, and then wrap with the towel. Don't use the towel on the stove top, because the flame could be accidentally turned on G-d forbid.

We do this with a large pot of soup, after bringing to a rolling boil, and the soup is nice and hot. You could experiment with a small pot of soup, it may not hold the heat the same way.

Mazel tov on your recent marriage Smile

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Apr 06 2016, 6:06 pm
GrowingUp wrote:
We have a big stone tile that was cut to fit my oven rack perfectly. I heat it up about an hour before shabbos, and add all the pans and pots inside about 20 minutes before I light. DH turns off oven right before he leaves to shul. The stone stays warm and keeps the oven and food warm.

That's a good idea. A piece of soapstone or granite would add thermal mass and slowly release heat. A pizza stone might work too.

pause

Post Wed, Apr 06 2016, 6:13 pm
ra_mom wrote:
We use a plata/electric hotplate.
There have been times when the weather was too hot and we use a thermos, but the soup has to simmer for a while on the stove before pouring into the thermos otherwise it won't stay hot.

When it's too hot, we put the plata on a Shabbas timer to shut off once it's no longer needed.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 06 2016, 6:51 pm
pause wrote:
When it's too hot, we put the plata on a Shabbas timer to shut off once it's no longer needed.

Ours stays on for 4 hours only Smile Forgot to add that.
But there was one summer that was unbearable and having the crockpot plus plata on, even for 4 hours, didn't work so we bought a good thermos.

sky

Post Wed, Apr 06 2016, 7:05 pm
I boil right before shabbos and then wrap tightly in two large towels. It stays very warm
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note