Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
How to get my ds to stop coughing!

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Apr 06 2016, 10:31 pm
My ds has a deep cough for a few days. It sounds like bronchitis but he has no fever or other symptoms. His behavior has been a little difficult and he is usually a very easy child. Today we were at the dr. and the dr. said he thinks the lungs are clear. The dr. also said that the cough sounds like bronchitis. Strep test was negative. He is in bed trying to sleep but coughing and crying a little. He is tossing and turning but keeps on coughing. I gave him benadryl but it did not seem to take effect. Anyone have any ideas to help this child??

momX4

Post Wed, Apr 06 2016, 10:37 pm
Bring him into the bathroom with a pillow. Have him relax while the shower is running. Try it for a half hour. Have him sleep with 2 pillows. If you have a humidifier, put it into his bedroom.

If the coughing is really bad talk to your dr about medications that can help him sleep at night.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Apr 06 2016, 10:58 pm
If he said it sounds like bronchitis, was he started on antibiotics? Also, an inhaler with meds should be given to reduce inflammation in the airways. How is the Dr. Treating it?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Apr 06 2016, 11:06 pm
What does the cough sound like? I don't mean to be presumptuous, but if it doesn't go away soon, have it be checked out for pertussis. Lungs are clear, and there are usually absolutely no other symptoms like in a cold. If it is that, antibiotics started soon after onset can be effective. It can be bronchitis, but I do know of pertussis misdiagnosed too many times.

LittleDucky

Post Wed, Apr 06 2016, 11:07 pm
Use a humidifier but make sure it is cleaned regularly- once a week minimum and change the water daily. It helps with the cough that often comes along with allergies or using your heater. That's what my family's pediatrician recommended and it worked wonders! Also use an anti-allergy medication (Allegra, Claritin etc) was recommended...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics