Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
A question about the parent body in Orchos Chaim in Lakewood
Previous  1  2

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 3:38 pm
Sorry, I didn't mean for Nikes to be taken as something wrong, just to point out that there is some brand pressure (as I said we are pretty simple - my kids mainly wear Childrens place on sale or Deja Nu and 'cheaper no name' sneakers). but I guess I"m lucky because I have not had requests for shirts with specific emblems (yet). My kids are in middle grades and younger grades and I haven't had any issues or difficulties or concerns with negative influences.

Some parents are richer and some have much higher or different standard of living then ours and I'm fine with that. I grew up in a mixed OOT school. I don't think everyone has to be the same.
My son has one boy in his class where the whole family goes to Israel every year for summer vacation, and another were the family lives in a 2 bedroom yeshiva apartment with 5 kids. Both balances exist in the school. I think you hear about the more with it crowd more because it is more exciting to talk about.
If it would start having a negative impact then it may be an issue for me, but it b'h has not at all.

pgk

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 3:51 pm
Funny because my brother and cousin who send there would definitely be considered more "yeshivish" than I am and I am considered pretty far to the right in flatbush (neither I nor either of them wears leggings;) then again my brothers boys are a bit older so maybe they're not reflective of the newer parent body

estibesty

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 5:05 pm
Do u mean legging tuck in boots instead tights? I do that who cares no one notices. And my kids are in a very yeshivish school. Or do u mean short skirt leggings and flats ? I don't believe a lot of the parent body is wearing legging and flats maymbe a sprinkle but not more then a few

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 8:52 pm
I am another lucky Orchos Chaim parent. I have quite a few boys in the Yeshiva and between all their playdates, get-togethers, and school activities, I have gotten to know many boys and their parents. One is finer than the next. I myself was under the impression that the crowd was fancier and have not found that to be the case. Of course there are a few scattered throughout the school (as there are in EVERY school), but they are wholesome and do not seem to excessively spoil their children. My boys did not ask to go on a midwinter trip, and never ask for specific style clothing. I have not noticed a legging crowd at all.

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 9:12 pm
Yes there are (some) Orchos Chaim mothers who may wear leggings. now SOOOO what???

Interestingly enough, OC is one of the few schools who have such a diverse parent body and look how it's so successful and sought after. sorry just to me this sounds extremely trivial.

What's going to happen if your son *gasp* has a boy in his class whose mother may or may not wear leggings?

Honestly, if your'e asking this question I don't think OC is the right fit for you. They are extremely welcoming of all types and the Hanhalah is the least judgmental. They live and let be. (although they do request that out of respect you dress a certain way when attending Yeshiva functions)

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 9:19 pm
Most boys in Orchas Chaim are watching videos out of school. Many fathers that I know that send there wear jeans out of Lakewood maybe out of fear they don't wear it in Lakewood.

Also if you shop in shloimies or in super stop all the way down the nine you will see many woman in leggings and no socks just boots.

Personally this doesn't bother me let everyone live but if you are asking this question then obviously this school is not for you.

Op why did you apply there in the first place?

amother
White

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 10:19 pm
Goodness, "most of the parents wear jeans" I don't send to OC, but that is just not true to the point of absurd.

Even if the younger crowd is "cooler" which is true of most schools across the board, they take about 10 new families a year , so how many younger families are there in the school?

OP, really move on, its a good school. Enjoy it and may your son give you a lot of nachas.

Notsobusy

Post Tue, Mar 22 2016, 12:19 am
amother wrote:
Most boys in Orchas Chaim are watching videos out of school. Many fathers that I know that send there wear jeans out of Lakewood maybe out of fear they don't wear it in Lakewood.

Also if you shop in shloimies or in super stop all the way down the nine you will see many woman in leggings and no socks just boots.

Personally this doesn't bother me let everyone live but if you are asking this question then obviously this school is not for you.

Op why did you apply there in the first place?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with wearing leggings with boots. The only problem I can see with leggings is when people where them with flats or sneakers and their ankles are not covered. For me that would be a problem, because we hold that the ankles have to be covered. Not everyone holds like that, so it's not a problem for everyone.

As far as movies, I know many kids, in many schools in Lakewood who watch secular movies. The only people I know who don't let their kids watch secular movies are really, really yeshivish or chassidish.

I don't think I know anyone who wears jeans outside of Lakewood and not in Lakewood.

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Mar 22 2016, 12:57 am
[spoil]Many fathers that I know that send there wear jeans out of Lakewood maybe out of fear they don't wear it in Lakewood.[/spoil]

You must be thinking of another school. Haven't seen even 1 father in jeans, and have multiple boys in YOC for quite a few years now.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Mar 22 2016, 9:41 am
amother wrote:

Pardon my ignorance, but how would you know if they are or are not wearing socks, if they are wearing boots?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Mar 22 2016, 12:05 pm
I didn't mean the tall boots I meant the booties they are now in style. So yes you can totally see the leg.

DrMom

Post Wed, Mar 23 2016, 4:01 am
amother wrote:
I didn't mean the tall boots I meant the booties they are now in style. So yes you can totally see the leg.

OP, if you are in agreement with Forestgreen's way of thinking, then you shouldn't send your children to this school, as you clearly hold very specific and inflexible definitions of tzniut.

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Mar 23 2016, 5:57 am
amother wrote:
I didn't mean the tall boots I meant the booties they are now in style

. So yes you can totally see the leg.

Assuming you aren't a troll, Are you actually scrutinizing other woman's legs that closely?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Apr 07 2016, 11:57 pm
I am the OP. Thank you for the replies. And by the way, I actually do not have an issue with someone wearing leggings. While I usually wont wear them, every once in a while I do. I just wanted to know how common that is in the school, and do I need to be terrified of being seen wearing them.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics