Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Traumatized 4 yr old DD

amother
Navy

Post Fri, Apr 08 2016, 10:01 am
A few weeks ago we had a bird in our house and DD was very scared. We caught it and got rid of it and explained to her a few times how we got rid of it so she would feel confident that it was gone. It's a few weeks later and she is still acting scared. Noises and shadows scare her, she's been having bad dreams. She isn't as happy and confident as she used to be. She cries in her sleep etc.

I'm not 100% sure that the current fear is from the bird, but it does make sense considering the time frame.

What can we do to ease her fears?

TIA!

observer

Post Fri, Apr 08 2016, 10:25 am
Write a social story with her. Don't have much time now to explain the whole thing, you can google it, but basically it is a story you write with her about what happened. She can help with the wording as well as draw the pictures. Then at the end she can add a page about the bird is gone and can not get back in. He is happy to live in his nest in a tree and we are happy to live in our house with our family. You can read it with her at bedtime every night or as requested. It's very reassuring to kids and works wonderfully.

greenfire

Post Fri, Apr 08 2016, 10:53 am
observer wrote:
Write a social story with her. Don't have much time now to explain the whole thing, you can google it, but basically it is a story you write with her about what happened. She can help with the wording as well as draw the pictures. Then at the end she can add a page about the bird is gone and can not get back in. He is happy to live in his nest in a tree and we are happy to live in our house with our family. You can read it with her at bedtime every night or as requested. It's very reassuring to kids and works wonderfully.

that is the most fabulous idea I have ever heard !!!

amother
Navy

Post Fri, Apr 08 2016, 11:13 am
Thanks.

That sounds like a great idea. probably something I should have done right away. I know she hasn't forgotten about the incident, but should I bring it up on my own, or should I wait until she mentions it again, and then work on the book with her?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics