Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Something to do with cholent meat besides cholent?

seeker

Post Fri, Apr 08 2016, 2:27 pm
I have cholent meat in my freezer, I don't remember whether it was flanken or something else because I didn't label the bag. I may as well use it up before Pesach instead of starting in on my pesachdik meat stash. But we aren't really so into cholent. Any other ideas? Preferably something not too saucy so I can heat it up for shabbos lunch but I'm open to any suggestions.

Faigy86

Post Fri, Apr 08 2016, 2:28 pm
Yapchik?

seeker

Post Fri, Apr 08 2016, 2:32 pm
I don't know what that is but it sounds too Jewish to be our taste...

kb

Post Fri, Apr 08 2016, 2:37 pm
Shredded beef. Fresh and easy has a good recipe

ra_mom

Post Fri, Apr 08 2016, 2:37 pm
It's grated potatoes slow cooked until really creamy. With a layer of meat underneath. Delicous. We save for Pesach.

Last edited by ra_mom on Fri, Apr 08 2016, 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

Faigy86

Post Fri, Apr 08 2016, 2:38 pm
Smile I'm not a chulent lover, but I do like Yapchik sometimes. I've never made it myself, only had it at other people's houses.

It is potato kugel with meat in it (or underneath depending on the recipe). I did a quick search here and see a few varieties, but I'm not sure which would be the best.

If it is cubes, you can do shish kabobs, flanken or with a bone make soups delicious, but I don't know if you want to serve that for your day meal. Mushroom barley, cabbage...

mha3484

Post Fri, Apr 08 2016, 3:10 pm
I make beef stew, bbq shredded beef, beef tacos, "Cholent" with potatoes, chickpeas, lots of middle eastern spices and wheatberries.

mha3484

Post Fri, Apr 08 2016, 3:15 pm
The beef tacos are pretty dry. I use a spice rub and cook the meat in its own juices.

belovedaz

Post Fri, Apr 08 2016, 3:18 pm
I use chulent meat to make pepper steak. Then u can have supter for one night this week

seeker

Post Fri, Apr 08 2016, 3:19 pm
Hm, I guess I can cube it and do shish kebabs. Recipe/method?

ra_mom

Post Fri, Apr 08 2016, 3:45 pm
Stew meat is lean and tough. Needs low and slow cooking. Would be tough and chewy as shish kebabs. I use club steak for kebabs.

seeker

Post Fri, Apr 08 2016, 3:52 pm
Oh well, anyway I realized I don't have skewers for kebabs. So... next idea? Something I can make now, warm up for Shabbos lunch, not cholent?

ra_mom

Post Fri, Apr 08 2016, 3:57 pm
seeker wrote:
Oh well, anyway I realized I don't have skewers for kebabs. So... next idea? Something I can make now, warm up for Shabbos lunch, not cholent?

I would just toss with fresh crushed garlic and generous amounts of salt. Lay over a bed of sliced onions and drizzle with a few spoons of oil. Drizzle a bit over water around the sides of the pan. Cover tightly and bake at 325 until tender. Can't go wrong with well seasoned tender meat.

Last edited by ra_mom on Tue, Oct 24 2017, 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

seeker

Post Fri, Apr 08 2016, 4:09 pm
Sounds good. How long do you think it will need to bake? You said something about slow cooking... I have about 3 hours right now and it's still frozenish. Is this something that could come out good in a crockpot and NOT taste like cholent?

ra_mom

Post Fri, Apr 08 2016, 4:10 pm
seeker wrote:
Sounds good. How long do you think it will need to bake? You said something about slow cooking... I have about 3 hours right now and it's still frozenish. Is this something that could come out good in a crockpot and NOT taste like cholent?

About 2 - 3 hours.
Anything cooked in the crockpot for 20 hours will taste like cholent, sorry Sad

seeker

Post Fri, Apr 08 2016, 4:20 pm
Yeah, that's what I thought, about the crockpot. OK 2-3 hours I can handle, trying to get them to defrost a little faster. Thanks for the advice. Think it matters if I bake at 400 instead of 350? I might need to share the oven

ra_mom

Post Fri, Apr 08 2016, 4:20 pm
seeker wrote:
Yeah, that's what I thought, about the crockpot. OK 2-3 hours I can handle, trying to get them to defrost a little faster. Thanks for the advice. Think it matters if I bake at 400 instead of 350? I might need to share the oven

It comes out more tender at 325 but do what you need to do. I've had to do that too sometimes.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Apr 09 2016, 3:21 pm
Irish stew. DH loves this.

In a pot, on the stove top, sear the meat in a bit of oil. Add a whole can of stout dark beer and a cup or two of water. Let it simmer for a really long time, and don't let the liquid get below one inch. Add more water or beer if you need to. About a half an hour before it's done, when it's starting to get fork tender, add chopped onions, mushrooms, and fresh ground pepper.

Serve with potatoes, rice, or steamed barley, and pour the gravy on top.

seeker

Post Sat, Apr 09 2016, 9:48 pm
I did as ra_mom instructed (for like the zillionth time. Imamother should have awards for these things. She deserves a promotion.) DH loved it, I thought it was decent but not really my taste, the kids didn't even taste it (usually I insist that everyone at least taste a little of everything, but this time they had eaten fish first so I didn't care that much.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics