Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Undercharged and going back to pay for it
Previous  1  2

tichellady

Post Fri, Apr 08 2016, 5:41 pm
amother wrote:
I have this problem now with a necklace from macys! I ordered it, it never came so I called and had the order cancelled and refunded. A long time after it was expected it just showed up at my door. I can't return it in the store because when they scan the receipt it already says that the item was returned. Calling customer service hasn't gotten me anywhere either.

Just don't worry about it. You tried. These things happen. You were not trying to cheat

amother
Wheat

Post Fri, Apr 08 2016, 5:45 pm
I once had it with carters. I got a duplicate order but was only charged once. I called customer service and they said I can send it back but I'd have to pay shipping. They also said I can't return it in the store. I'd previously asked a shayla because I was given credit for a coupon I didn't have at a large chain store. That time I was told no need to go back if it's not jews. It was a dollar and not worth the hassle. I used that heter for the duplicate package and donated it to a friend in chinuch.

amother
Teal

Post Fri, Apr 08 2016, 5:50 pm
observer wrote:
I once placed an order at oshkosh online and received with it an extra little girl's skirt that I didn't order and wasn't charged for. I called up and the customer service representative kept sputtering "But if it's not on your invoice, you can't return it" and was not quite sure how to deal with it!

We got packages from Gap to our apartment, addressed to the previous tenant. The first time, I called Gap customer service who said they would mail me a free shipping label to return it to them. I also found the tenant on facebook (very distinct name and profession, so it was definitely him) and messaged him to tell him. I never got the label and never heard back (and found out later dh had just thrown it away).

The 2nd package was a very expensive men's wool coat from Banana. I took it into the store to return, with the invoice, and said it's not mine and can they refund the original purchase. It took forever for them to call customer service, say that the tenant had obviously realized and contacted customer service himself to change his address, then they told me that I can't return it bc it had already been returned(?!) I said I don't want it or need it, and they told me to throw it out (!! really? what a waste)

At that point I took the coat into another Banana, returned it without a receipt and got store credit so I could exchange it for a different size. I mean, I was trying to work with them. I think at that point (and especially with drawn out or faceless situations) corporations that big just don't care. It's more of a hassle for them to deal with the system than to lose those few dollars.

Otoh once my sister was shopping in the same store, and walking out checked her receipt - realized they hadn't charged her for a down coat. She walked back in and showed the manager who profusely thanked her and wrote on the receipt that she gets a permanent 15% discount on all purchases there. But that was an immediately rectifiable situation - I found in my case that with no face to attach to a name, customer service couldn't be bothered to do anythign about it.. I mean throw it out really.

Another mom

Post Sat, Apr 09 2016, 3:13 pm
WhatFor wrote:
One thing no one is mentioning here is the chinuch aspect. I'll never forget my mother announcing she had to return something they didn't charge for when I was somewhere between the ages of eight and eleven. My parents' modeling was the best education for me that we are honest people.

Same here' I wrote a Check and mailed the difference (I don't always check - no pun intended). They wrote me a nice letter back saying it was a new cahier and thank you. Showed it to the kids!!

amother
White

Post Sat, Apr 09 2016, 4:08 pm
Doubt I would. Unless the kids knew!

amother
Aubergine

Post Sat, Apr 09 2016, 5:21 pm
I had this issue with an Israeli store :
I recently went back to a store after almost a year as I hardly go there with a request to add on 11 bottles of grape juice to my order as I remember paying for 1 instead of a case of 12 when I visited last. Originally, right after I realized their mistake, I called the store and tried to pay over the phone but they said they couldn't do that, I would have to go back in person. I told them that I don't frequent the store and it might be a while. When I finally got there and tried to explain to the Arab cashier and her Russian supervisor that I was trying to pay for something that I had taken almost a year ago, they were quite speechless. I had my 7 year son with me so it was a good chinuch lesson as well. I explained to them that as a Jew, I had the commandment not to steal and I was so happy to be able to fulfill this mitzvah of paying for my item. They honestly had no problem doing the transaction and probably have had others do the same in the past.

amother
Blue

Post Sat, Apr 09 2016, 7:55 pm
watergirl wrote:
This. I once got home from Target and found a box of straws and a package of pacifiers that for some reason I didnt pay for - I put them in the shopping cart but they weren't on the receipt. I called Target and told her that I had my credit card and could I pay over the phone - the lady was shocked at my honesty and told me that I dont have to pay.

I was also undercharged from Target, but I went back and they undercharged by a lot. They charged me for it.

cholenteater

Post Sat, Apr 09 2016, 10:18 pm
One time I came home from shopping and found something in the basket of my stroller that my son had put in. I returned it and the cashier was so thankful. Creating a Kiddush Hashem is worth more than the five dollars the item would cost.

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 9:44 am
cholenteater wrote:
One time I came home from shopping and found something in the basket of my stroller that my son had put in. I returned it and the cashier was so thankful. Creating a Kiddush Hashem is worth more than the five dollars the item would cost.

In your case it was your mistake and you would have to rectify it.

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 9:52 am
I recently had a shipment from kohls and stuck with the stuff I had ordered was a baby outfit that I hadn't ordered and a packing slip for someone else.

I took it back to the store and first the customer service lady was telling me I would have to call kohls.com customer service but then the manager came by and I said it wasn't charged to my credit card or anything, just got something I didn't order so he took it and told the person who had been helping me to call kohls.com

heidi

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 9:54 am
amother wrote:
I had this issue with an Israeli store :
I recently went back to a store after almost a year as I hardly go there with a request to add on 11 bottles of grape juice to my order as I remember paying for 1 instead of a case of 12 when I visited last. Originally, right after I realized their mistake, I called the store and tried to pay over the phone but they said they couldn't do that, I would have to go back in person. I told them that I don't frequent the store and it might be a while. When I finally got there and tried to explain to the Arab cashier and her Russian supervisor that I was trying to pay for something that I had taken almost a year ago, they were quite speechless. I had my 7 year son with me so it was a good chinuch lesson as well. I explained to them that as a Jew, I had the commandment not to steal and I was so happy to be able to fulfill this mitzvah of paying for my item. They honestly had no problem doing the transaction and probably have had others do the same in the past.

Ahh, the joy of living in Israel (not being sarcastic for a change)
Went out with the entire family for hamburgers, sat and ate and then got up and left, totally forgetting to pay.
Got home and almost had a heart attack when I realized what had happened.
I called the store immediately and explained and paid via credit card. I asked the man why he seemed so relaxed-- it's a small store and when I identified myself as the woman who had been there an hour ago he could have started screaming at me and asking why I hadn't paid. He answered calmly, "I knew you would call."

Only in Israel.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette