Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Staying in a big chain non-Jewish Hotel over Shabbos?

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Apr 05 2016, 8:55 pm
Can a Shomer Shabbos person stay in a big chain non-Jewish Hotel over Shabbos?

Have people made it work? What do they need to work out in advance?

Any advice will be appreciated.

pesek zman

Post Tue, Apr 05 2016, 9:09 pm
Of course. Why would you think not?

tichellady

Post Tue, Apr 05 2016, 9:13 pm
You need to figure out how to lock your doors if the key is electronic, how to get to your floor if you are on a high floor and how to get in and out of automatic doors. It can be done but it can be stressful. It's best to request a room on a low floor and to get there early to figure out the key/ door situation. We have put all our valuables in the safe, and taped the door open so we didn't need a key ( and put the do not disturb sign up).

cnc

Post Tue, Apr 05 2016, 9:16 pm
Ask your LOL about carrying in the public areas (hallways, from room to room). You may need to make some sort of Eruv.

tichellady

Post Tue, Apr 05 2016, 9:17 pm
For automatic doors we just wait until someone goes in and then follow them so the door is already open. Also you cannot light Shabbat candles so need to figure that out ( as well as havdalah).

esther09

Post Tue, Apr 05 2016, 9:17 pm
Things to work out in advance:

Request a low floor. Find out if stairs are accessible/unlocked. Find out if you can get a non-electronic key. Find alternative entrances of the front doors in the lobby are automatic. Ask if all rooms have refrigerators, if not, request one.

Most hotels do not allow hot plates. Most frum
Jews break the rules... We personally don't, though, and bring salads and deli for shabbos.

Bring snacks, lechem mishna, grape juice, paper plates and cutlery, extra garbage bags, bowls for soup or cereal for breakfast, serving bowls for salad... And extra timers for lights in your room.

Have fun!

tichellady

Post Tue, Apr 05 2016, 9:18 pm
cnc wrote:
Ask your LOL about carrying in the public areas (hallways, from room to room). You may need to make some sort of Eruv.

I have never heard this before. Maybe it's an issue for a motel but for an enclosed hotel how can it be an issue? Hmm.how is it different from an apartment building?

cnc

Post Tue, Apr 05 2016, 9:36 pm
tichellady wrote:
I have never heard this before. Maybe it's an issue for a motel but for an enclosed hotel how can it be an issue? Hmm.how is it different from an apartment building?

I believe an Eruv Chatzeros is done yearly.
(I known that my husband does it with a neighbor in my multi family house so that we can carry in the public hallway on shabbos.)

pesek zman

Post Tue, Apr 05 2016, 9:46 pm
cnc wrote:
I believe an Eruv Chatzeros is done yearly.
(I known that my husband does it with a neighbor in my multi family house so that we can carry in the public hallway on shabbos.)

I've lived in an apartment building for 10 years; never heard of need for Eruv chat zeros

cnc

Post Tue, Apr 05 2016, 9:52 pm
pesek zman wrote:
I've lived in an apartment building for 10 years; never heard of need for Eruv chat zeros

Do you live in a community with an Eruv?
We do, so technically I don't need the Eruv Chatzeros but some of our neighbors don't use the city Eruv which is why they need the Eruv Chatzeros.

Definitely a question for a Rav regarding a hotel. It's also problematic carrying on a cruise ship on shabbos, there are ways to get around it though.

I'm not familiar with all the nitty-gritty details so like I wrote discuss it with your LOR .

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Apr 05 2016, 10:18 pm
I do this all the time, what is the problem?

doctorima

Post Tue, Apr 05 2016, 10:23 pm
Here is a link to a wonderful and very comprehensive list from the Star-K of the various issues that can be involved in staying in hotels on Shabbos (and in general):

http://www.star-k.org/articles.....tels/

pesek zman

Post Tue, Apr 05 2016, 10:25 pm
cnc wrote:
Do you live in a community with an Eruv?
We do, so technically I don't need the Eruv Chatzeros but some of our neighbors don't use the city Eruv which is why they need the Eruv Chatzeros.

Definitely a question for a Rav regarding a hotel. It's also problematic carrying on a cruise ship on shabbos, there are ways to get around it though.

I'm not familiar with all the nitty-gritty details so like I wrote discuss it with your LOR .

Yes our community has an eruv

little_mage

Post Wed, Apr 06 2016, 7:29 am
We've done it. What we often do about the door issue is we talk to the front desk before Shabbat starts, and then when we return, have a hotel employee go let us in. Last time, over Thanksgiving, we were even able to ride the elevator because the worker pushed the buttons for us. We also try to not go in and out to much-mainly once Friday night and then hopefully come back after Shabbat ends on Saturday, although that depends on when Shabbat ends.

Peanut2

Post Wed, Apr 06 2016, 10:25 am
I also have not heard of an issue within the hotel re eruv. It would depend on the size of it I guess.

Ruchel

Post Sat, Apr 09 2016, 4:31 pm
Bring timers, put "don't disturb" so the cleaning lady doesn't mess it up, and hide your key because you can't carry it. I guess if hotel is in an eruv it's different but it's not my default so I wouldn't be able to tell you the halachos. Bring food in your room, be aware you will eat cold and can't light though I hear some do in the bath. Beware of smoke detectors. I was in a hotel that got evacuated over Chanuka. We've done it, I hate it, and the worst time they put us very very high so we couldn't even go out (we had not brought food because planned to eat at Chabad), so we ate nosh.... Big chain doesn't change a thing.

animeme

Post Sat, Apr 09 2016, 10:15 pm
If you have a balcony, be aware that opening and closing the door may turn off and on the climate control system. You can check before Shabbos.

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 11:58 am
I travel with a roll of thick (fabric) masking/adhesive tape. What you do is tape over the hole in the lock several times over, so the door doesn't close. Obviously you need to store valuables in the safe.
Some hotels (esp less expensive places) require you to put the room key in a slot on the wall to keep electricity--just use any thick cards (business cards etc) or request a spare key. I usually prepare an envelope with my name/room number with the key, and leave it downstairs in case I get locked out, speak with the manager before Shabbat to let them know you might need help (ask again if you see reception staff on the new shifts).

Request the room on a lower floor. Unplug a lightbulb in the fridge (or tape the bit that activate the light switch--again making tape comes handy). Check fire escape door and where it leads (they should not be blocked) BEFORE shabbat. For outside automated door to/out of the premise, I usually wait till other guests/staff go through and scurry after them. Leave do not disburb sign (I use bluetac so it doesn't flip over to 'please make up my room' side).

Peanuts

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 10:22 pm
don't leave valuable and tape down the door shouldnt lock
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics