Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Not sure what I should say

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 3:08 pm
A friend of mine told me their friend was looking for an assistant . I said I would like to find out more about the job and the pay and hours. We played phone tag for a few days and finally we made up to meet at 10 on Monday.Sunday he calls in the morning and told me he wants me to come in sometime during the day which I told him I cant but I will call in the afternoon when I am free. I called him and told him a time I am free and never heard from him so I assumed it was still on for Monday at 10.
at 9:58 he called me and asked if I could come in later in the day which I told him it will very hard but he should let me know a time and I will see if it works.
I have yet to hear from him and I cant go later now because I made plans.
He kept telling me he needs work done asap.
I am also angry because I took off work and now I lost a days pay.
What should I do.

myym

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 3:21 pm
He sounds strange. I've worked for strange individuals. I would keep my eyes open for something better.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 3:33 pm
I experienced similar, the most embarrassing part was when I FINALLY had a set time to meet, I was the one that showed up an hour late due to an unforeseen circumstance.I took the job but I should have taken it as a "warning" sign...it turns out that my boss is very nice and all but the business was being run very unprofessionally. When my boss goes away on vacation or travels, I have no notification about it. If they hire someone new, I'm not told about it and I am the one that does payroll!!!! Same situation occurs if someone resigns or is fired, I can find out 3 weeks later...
Yet, I can use this lack of schedule or professionalism to my advantage. I can come and go as I please or need as long as my work gets done. I can bring kids to work and I dont have to even ask before I do so...
There is definitely a disadvantage to an unprofessional environment , yet I live it every day and I got used to it.

brooklyn11211

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 4:17 pm
amother wrote:
A friend of mine told me their friend was looking for an assistant . I said I would like to find out more about the job and the pay and hours. We played phone tag for a few days and finally we made up to meet at 10 on Monday.Sunday he calls in the morning and told me he wants me to come in sometime during the day which I told him I cant but I will call in the afternoon when I am free. I called him and told him a time I am free and never heard from him so I assumed it was still on for Monday at 10.
at 9:58 he called me and asked if I could come in later in the day which I told him it will very hard but he should let me know a time and I will see if it works.
I have yet to hear from him and I cant go later now because I made plans.
He kept telling me he needs work done asap.
I am also angry because I took off work and now I lost a days pay.
What should I do.

Almost every boss give you messages before hiring you what kind of boss he is and how the experience will be its up to you to look out for them and judge accordingly,

this might still be a good opportunity for you but at least you got to see upfront what type he is so if the work relies on being in touch with the boss a lot you know what you are in for,

greenfire

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 4:57 pm
he can't have work done asap without the meeting ... yet he's expecting you to still get the job done yesterday without telling you what it is

doesn't sound like a good match

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 10:31 pm
Op here

So I thought that we made up that he would call me when his accountant was able to come sometime this evening but he never called me back.
I am just so upset because I lost a day's pay I desperately need.

Now if he calls me back what do I say?
I think he thinks I am taking the job when I don't even really know what he wants me to do and I don't know the hours and pay.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics