Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Please give me some info about Staten Island

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 9:19 pm
My family just moved from Brooklyn to Staten Island (willowbrook). I am completely new to this community and know almost nothing about it. Please tell me a little bit about it, what you like or dislike, where the best places to shop are, the different types of communities, etc just so that I can get a better picture of the area. Thanks!

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 9:21 pm
Hi welcome Very Happy Very Happy u moved here at the beginning of the year and I absolutely love it, umm not sure where to start , there is the Staten Island mall 8 min from here. what in particular do you want to know?

moramom

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 9:41 pm
hi there! so I grew up in Staten Island and loved every minute of it! Staten Island has developed a lot since I left over 16 years ago but basically their is the yeshiva side, and willowbrook. Willowbrook had mostly young Israel in my days with a growing agudah and sefardi community and of course Rabbi Pollaks following. Everyone was very warm and accepting,non judgementAL...lemme know what else u want to know-glad to help

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 9:46 pm
Moramom. Staten Island has changed and grown emensily even in the past year. There is a new wave of chaasidim who are coming and expanding the boundaries of willowbrook. Ppl are moving past manor to manor heights.

op. Not sure exactly what u are looking for. There are not a lot of food shopping options. U can order from Brooklyn. Use ez kosher.com. You can pick up staples at target stop and shop etc. I like Costco and trader joes and well

What exactly do u want to know? What are your demographics?

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 11:36 pm
Hi! and welcome to the neighborhood! Here is some information that may be helpful. There is an annual publication, put out by a local Chesed organization, called Nachas Unlimited. called the Nachas Unlimited Daily Planner. For a small donation, you should be able to get one, by calling 718-761-8908. It contains a lot of helpful information about the Willowbrook, and Staten Island orthodox Jewish Community. You can also ask them to include you in next year's directory of neighborhood phone numbers & addresses, which is in the booklet. Also, you can pick up copies of the Express Lane local weekly advertising publication, that may guide you to some local shopping. You can pick it up @ local frum stores, or at the corner of Wooley Ave. & Willowbrook Rd. , outside the Young Israel.
Kosher Shopping: We have a small grocery/commission bakery, called Famous Kosher Bakery. They are in the process of moving to a new location, and will reopen on Wednesday at 2234 Victory Blvd.
The building at the corner of Victory Blvd. & Carmel Ave. was bought a couple of years ago, with plans to build a Kosher Supermarket. The community has been frustrated with the long delay in getting the project underway, but word is that work is finally to begin in earnest.
There is another grocery store called Milk & Honey, in New Springville, near the Staten Island Mall, on Nome Ave. which carries a lot of Israeli products.
There is a kosher butcher called Payless, on Richmond Hill Rd., across from the mall. They recently began carrying a line of take-out food, for Shabbos, called Homemade Delights. (Willowbrook used to have a nice take-out store, but they were displaced when the building was bought for the Kosher Supermarket.- Hopefully the planned Supermarket, will carry take-out.)
I'll try to continue in the next day or two, with restaurant info.; kosher food deliveries from Brooklyn; and make-up of the community. If you have specific questions, please ask.
To answer one of your questions: The thing I like most about this community, is that people are very down to earth, not much keeping up with the Joneses. People of the different orthodox persuasions - modern orthodox to black hat - are friendly & accepting of one another. On Shabbos, most people will greet you with a friendly "Good Shabbos".

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 10:10 pm
Hi, I maybe a little late on this post, but I'm curious to know more about SI, as my DH and I are considering making the move. What is rent like? Is it mostly a frum community or is there a more modern crowd? What types of schools are available, and what's there to do? Are there nice parks, and other recreational areas for kids? Thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating