Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
How to make red "chrain" from raw horseradish root
Previous  1  2

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 12:07 pm
I use the chrain recipe in the Balabuste's Choice for Pesach cook book, But I changed it by using part cooked beets and part raw beets and I use vinegar instead of lemon juice...Mine tastes just like the stores and I make so much of it that it lasts us all the way until Shavuos (I freeze any extras)

greenfire

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 12:18 pm
wow ~ sounds fabulous ~ I think I would try the raw version

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 12:44 pm
myself wrote:
Water? I didn't notice any water in the recipe, did I miss something?

Nope, you didn't miss anything Smile There is no official recipe in the family and I previously posted what I had written down as the the non recipe. But I double checked now based on your review. Sometimes asking during the season when it's fresh on one's mind results in clearer recollection. Sorry about that Sad

greenfire

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 12:53 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Nope, you didn't miss anything Smile There is no official recipe in the family and I previously posted what I had written down as the the non recipe. But I double checked now based on your review. Sometimes asking during the season when it's fresh on one's mind results in clearer recollection. Sorry about that Sad

you know it's good when there is no official recipe Tongue Out

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 1:07 pm
greenfire wrote:
you know it's good when there is no official recipe Tongue Out

Yes, for the one making the recipe. But not so much when giving it over Smile

myself

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 3:11 pm
Okay, so am I meant to add water? If yes, how much? Also, does it come out better with vinegar or with lemon juice?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 4:28 pm
myself wrote:
Okay, so am I meant to add water? If yes, how much? Also, does it come out better with vinegar or with lemon juice?
Vinegar is classic for chrain so definitely use that if you prefer. As far as how much water, only as much as you need for it to look wet and juicy like store bought.

greenfire

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 4:31 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Yes, for the one making the recipe. But not so much when giving it over Smile

unless we speak cook language which is why I understood you [and I don't give out a lot of recipes that are in my head]

myself

Post Tue, Apr 12 2016, 4:47 am
ra_mom wrote:
Vinegar is classic for chrain so definitely use that if you prefer. As far as how much water, only as much as you need for it to look wet and juicy like store bought.

Thank ra_mom! So would that be added after the cup of vinegar if it still requires liquid?

abound

Post Tue, Apr 12 2016, 7:08 am
my chrain keeps coming out too sharp. Many times it is sharper than the maror without the beets. Any ideas?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Apr 12 2016, 8:19 am
myself wrote:
Thank ra_mom! So would that be added after the cup of vinegar if it still requires liquid?

Forget the cup. Just use a drop of vinegar and then sugar to taste. Add water rifle needed. This should help with sharpness too.
And if you need to, increase the amount of beets to horseradish.

Last edited by ra_mom on Tue, Apr 12 2016, 8:22 am; edited 1 time in total

lkwdlady

Post Tue, Apr 12 2016, 8:20 am
I use raw beets and always add water to get the right consistency. If chrain is too sharp then add another beet or 2 and more sugar. You might also need more lemon juice. I make this often and even though I have a recipe, you really have to play around with it to get it just right. Also, it doesn't stay as sharp when it sits in the fridge for a few weeks.

abound

Post Tue, Apr 12 2016, 8:26 am
ra_mom wrote:
Forget the cup. Just use a drop of vinegar and then sugar to taste. Add water rifle needed. This should help with sharpness too.
And if you need to, increase the amount of beets to horseradish.

water would help with the sharpness?
I added beets to horseradish already, but maybe I am off, what is the best ratio of beets to horesradish?

Ihatepotatoes

Post Tue, Apr 12 2016, 8:41 am
abound wrote:
my chrain keeps coming out too sharp. Many times it is sharper than the maror without the beets. Any ideas?

leave it out for a bit, that should take away some of the sharpness
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics