Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Interview and...dilemma

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 9:55 pm
So I had a job interview last week and haven't heard back. I don't expect to for another week or so (as per our conversation) but it has given me time to think about the interview.

The person who conducted the interview said some pretty odd things... Some of which are illegal. Like asking about family, pregnancy, and other personal questions.
I'm feeling it's a red flag. Even if I do get the job- does this make sense to not accept it? To keep looking? It's not like I have many offers.

cooksallday

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 10:04 pm
I'd say that's a red flag.. what kind of place of work is it?

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 10:49 pm
I don't want to say as it is kind of a narrow field. But let's just say pregnancy shouldn't impact this field more than most others (it's not working on a nuclear submarine or radiology or nuclear medicine where X rays could be an issue...).

But if the interviewer was doing something so illegal and wrong at the interview, I am worried what working there will be like.

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Apr 12 2016, 8:24 am
Maybe...but my husband was once asked to do an interview for his company and he asked if the person being interviewed was married. This was totally innocent, he didn't realize it was illegal until his boss told him later (and belatedly told him other questions that shouldn't be asked), he was just asking because he thought maybe married people had more stability. So maybe the person asking just didn't know. If you're offered the job, you could ask why these questions were asked.

kollel wife

Post Tue, Apr 12 2016, 10:27 am
It may be illegal, but if it's a frum place or someone familiar with frum lifestyle, they may naturally concerned about multiple pregnancies and needing to take time off.

causemommysaid

Post Tue, Apr 12 2016, 11:38 am
I wouldn't say its a red flag in of itself.

I worked somewhere for 8 years and was very happy there. They asked tons of illegal questions on the interview. It was a small place and they figured they would not get caught. Turns out it was a very nice place to work.

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Apr 12 2016, 11:44 am
kollel wife wrote:
It may be illegal, but if it's a frum place or someone familiar with frum lifestyle, they may naturally concerned about multiple pregnancies and needing to take time off.

But even if concerned I should be afforded the same rights as everyone else. THey don't get to break the law because of concern...

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Apr 12 2016, 11:45 am
amother wrote:
Maybe...but my husband was once asked to do an interview for his company and he asked if the person being interviewed was married. This was totally innocent, he didn't realize it was illegal until his boss told him later (and belatedly told him other questions that shouldn't be asked), he was just asking because he thought maybe married people had more stability. So maybe the person asking just didn't know. If you're offered the job, you could ask why these questions were asked.

I can see why your husband may not have known be a use it isn't his job. But what about if it was the BOSS doing the interviewing?

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Apr 12 2016, 11:47 am
op- you said the interviewer asked a few things that might be illegal/red flags. The examples you gave were family, pregnancy, and other personal stuff. Not hiring a woman because she's pregnant is definitely illegal. How is asking about family a red flag? Maybe the interviewer was just making conversation.

sweetpotato

Post Tue, Apr 12 2016, 12:14 pm
What was the nature of the questions? Is this a large company with an HR department or anyone objective you could contact about your concerns?

Even if you aren't offered the job, if the interviewer asked inappropriate and possibly illegal questions, such as anything related to your health, pregnancy status or family planning, you should let someone in charge at the company know.

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Apr 12 2016, 12:35 pm
sweetpotato wrote:
What was the nature of the questions? Is this a large company with an HR department or anyone objective you could contact about your concerns?

Even if you aren't offered the job, if the interviewer asked inappropriate and possibly illegal questions, such as anything related to your health, pregnancy status or family planning, you should let someone in charge at the company know.

I don't think it is large enough. Likely No HR.

If it was phrased "we will need you here from 8-6. Is that feasible" it would be different than if they asked me about how many kids I have, family things or pregnancy.

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Apr 12 2016, 12:38 pm
amother wrote:
op- you said the interviewer asked a few things that might be illegal/red flags. The examples you gave were family, pregnancy, and other personal stuff. Not hiring a woman because she's pregnant is definitely illegal. How is asking about family a red flag? Maybe the interviewer was just making conversation.

I believe asking anything about family is illegal. Like how many kids, are you married...
Find something else to make conversation. I was once asked about hobbies, a recent book I had read etc- things that talk about ME, not my family...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics