Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
What's biter in my newborn?!! Help!!!

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Apr 13 2016, 1:34 am
I'm a first time mother and don't know what's bothering my 2 week old baby. Every night from 12 to 3am she cries and cries and it seems like her stomach hurts. She tenses up and kicks away. She's fed and changed and I'm busy trying to get more than one burp. All day she sleeps well and is so calm and only wakes for feedings. What could it be that every night she seems so constipated or gassy?!

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Apr 13 2016, 3:47 am
Mazel tov to your baby! And welcome to motherhood.

I would say it is normal newborn behavior. As long as baby is eating, gaining weight nicely and putting out wet/dirty diapers. It takes a few weeks for them to get into a schedule.

As long as you know her basic needs are met, you can swaddle her, give a pacifier, and either push around in a carriage or shake her gently in the crib. It will take a week or more and slowly her bed time will move down to 2 am, then 1 am, etc.

This has been my experience with all my kids. As hard as it is, its worth it to stay calm. Remember that this stage will pass. And if you ever feel too tired to care for baby properly, your Dh is a partner in this too.

Lots of nachas!

Nicole

Post Wed, Apr 13 2016, 3:53 am
Hi it's almost 4am and I'm up with my newborn too. You're in good company!!!!

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Apr 13 2016, 5:09 am
Thanks all.. So it's not her stomach! She's gaining beautifully and eats well in my opinion.. Nurses 15 minutes every 3 hours... Which foods should I avoid to make her more comfortable?

pickle321

Post Wed, Apr 13 2016, 7:01 am
Maybe you should stay off dairy and see what happens. Is she hungry? My newborns nursed for a lot longer than 15 minutes every three hours.

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Apr 13 2016, 7:22 am
with my baby it lasted a lot more hours per night then that! There were nights that baby, me and husband were all crying- my husband worried there was something wrong, baby crying, and me being so overtired I just wanted all the crying to stop! We were worried maybe he wasn't getting enough to eat, but that turned out not to be the case when he was weighed. It took a couple of months, but all that has stopped.

ask your doc at your next visit of course, but it seems like a typical baby thing.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Apr 13 2016, 9:09 am
It sounds exactly like colic.

You're lucky. My DD screamed bloody murder from 7:45pm to 4:15am, non stop for the first 4 months. I was scared that the neighbors were going to call CPS on me!

I had to walk the floor and bounce her the whole time. I couldn't stand still, I couldn't sit down, everything that gave me an ounce of rest made it worse.

It turned out that she was lactose intolerant. I hated to give up breast feeding, but when we switched to Enfamil Lactofree formula, she slept right through the night! She was a whole new baby. I could pump and add a little milk to her formula, but more than 1/4 of milk added would upset her again.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Apr 13 2016, 9:22 am
Try the miracle blanket.
Really calms my baby down. I swaddle her and rock her in the stroller.
A lot of babies have fussy hour/s

ShirleyTemple

Post Wed, Apr 13 2016, 9:49 am
Mazel tov! Mom of a 5 week old here. If you suspect his/her tummy might be hurting, you can try giving gripe water, bought in the pharmacy. I think it helped calm my baby. Or fennel tea (gripe water contains fennel tea too).
Good luck

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Apr 13 2016, 11:50 am
Mazal tov! I (And my friends and family) have been blessed with a number of children TG and for the first few I followed the philosophy of most of the above that its normal.
I have since discovered in real time experience that it is not necessarily so. Most can be avoided. I would definitely follow your mother instincts if it seems to you to be babies stomach. Think what you eat in late afternoon evening or night for a good clue.
I needed to discover ewhat foods I was eating or drinking that the babies new delicate system couldn't handle. Think processed dairy white flour sugar caffeine. There are known culprits .If its formula it may be ingredients in the formula. Some can't have certain ingredients in processed foods. It takes a few weeks to work its way out of the system totally but makes a huge difference then for baby mommy and home
With some babies I needed to be very precise with their 'sleep window' but yours is still so small and like you said it seems to you to be tummy aches . what it looks like to mommy is a major clue.
Hope things come to a happy medium soon!

L K

Post Wed, Apr 13 2016, 12:02 pm
Mazal tov!

I've had some very colicky babies.
Sometimes gas bothers them a lot but it's easy to take care of. Fennel tea didn't help mine!

Here's what you may want to try to do when the baby starts this inexplicable crying:
Hold his knees and gently but firmly raise his legs and press into his stomach, somewhat to the sides of the belly. Or try folding his legs into the center of the belly and then turn them outward, also holding by the knees. If there is gas it comes out after the first try, or two to three tries. And this gives baby immediate relief.

If it's not gas, warming the babies tummy by wrapping in a nice sweater or blankly may help too.

Hatzlacha!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics