Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Bringing Meat into Switzerland. Please help!

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Apr 13 2016, 2:03 pm
I hear there's a restriction in regards to how much meat one is allowed to bring into Switzerland. Does anyone have experience with this? Do they actually weigh how much you have? Is there any leeway? Does cooked meat also fall into this category?

Urgently need to know, so all info is appreciated!

greenfire

Post Wed, Apr 13 2016, 2:47 pm
http://ec.europa.eu/food/anima.....n.htm

call your airlines ... find out what you need to do ... or call switzerland and buy a cow

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Apr 13 2016, 2:52 pm
Yes there is restriction on bringing meat in, I can't remember but it's certain amount per person travelling, generally meant for immediate consumption and basically to avoid reselling because meat is more expensive in Switzerland.

Though it doesn't seem to be strictly enforced at least for the land border (which is usually unmanned ). Like many locals, we get meat in French frontier side and bring to Switzerland but never asked about it.

lili

Post Wed, Apr 13 2016, 3:30 pm
I was stopped at customs recently and they put my cases through the x-ray machine. I had quite a bit of meat but they didn't detect it!!
not sure what the law is though.

jayle

Post Wed, Apr 13 2016, 3:49 pm
You can bring in one kilo per person of meat or chicken, I live here in Switzerland and have never had my cases checked during the numerous times that I have come into the country, but I think if you would bring in a lot more and it was discovered you would get a fine.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 2:20 pm
Swiss bring meat from France, Italy, Germany... my husband never had a problem

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 6:01 pm
I guess I'll just have to take as little as possible and hope for the best. Thanks for all your responses! Is fish also an issue or just meat?

Mrs Bissli

Post Fri, Apr 15 2016, 7:07 am
Fish is not a problem, but you have no problem getting them in Switzerland.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics