Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Wide egg Noodles for yerushalmi kugel?

EmpireState

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 1:40 pm
I am trying to use up whatever ingredients I have in the house. I have a package of wide egg noodles. Can I use these to make Yerushalmi Kugel? Obviously it won't be the authentic kind but do you think it would come out OK? If not, other suggestions would be appreciated. No sweet recipes please. we like yerushalmi because the salt and pepper balance the sweetness.

rgr

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 1:50 pm
EmpireState wrote:
I am trying to use up whatever ingredients I have in the house. I have a package of wide egg noodles. Can I use these to make Yerushalmi Kugel? Obviously it won't be the authentic kind but do you think it would come out OK? If not, other suggestions would be appreciated. No sweet recipes please. we like yerushalmi because the salt and pepper balance the sweetness.

Following! I have the exact same thing, wide egg noodles I need to kuggelarize.... that and a box of lasagna to finish up by next week. (We're already having noodle salad for shabbos luch and spaghetti and meatballs next week) I have noodles coming out of my ears!

Faigy86

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 1:56 pm
I would. The flavor won't be as intense because there is more surface to penetrate, and less crevices for the sugar/egg mixture to get in, but I think it will taste fine.

EmpireState

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 9:58 pm
I just made the kugel using my usual recipe. I cut off a piece (for research purposes of course) Very Happy and it tastes really good. Different texture than usual but the same flavor. Thanks!

jump

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 10:00 pm
May I ask what is your yerushalmi kugel recipe?
TIA

EmpireState

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 10:44 pm
I use the recipe in the original kosher by design cookbook. I only use 1/2-1 tsp. pepper. Here is the original recipe:

4 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup (1 stick) margarine
1 cup sugar
1 heaping table spoon freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons salt
12 ounces fine noodles uncooked
2 eggs
4 tablespoons dark brown sugar
3 tablespoons vegetable oil

heavily grease a bundt pan with nonstick spray or margarine. Set aside. Preheat oven to 350.
In a pot, bring the water, margarine, sugar, pepper and salt to a boil. Turn off the heat, add the noodles. Stir. Cover the pot and let stand 12-15 minutes.
In a small bowl, mix the eggs, brown sugar and vegetable oil. Add egg mixture to the noodle mixture. Re-cover the pot, let stand 10-15 minutes.
Pour into the prepared bundt pan, bake 1 1/4-1 1/2 hours, remove from the pan immediately when done.

jump

Post Fri, Apr 15 2016, 12:10 pm
thanks
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes