Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Assistant teacher salary

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Apr 18 2016, 1:33 pm
how much should assistant teachers be making? just curious, because I do not know if what my DD is being paid is fair. she is college aged now...

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Apr 18 2016, 1:36 pm
amother wrote:
how much should assistant teachers be making? just curious, because I do not know if what my DD is being paid is fair. she is college aged now...

Depends on the school, the age and how long the day is.

When I was doing it about 5 years ago, first year assistants made $12,000/yr for a 5 hour day. There were small yearly raises, but certainly nothing lucrative.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Apr 18 2016, 1:48 pm
I have been a teachers assistant in preschools and special ed schools in 4 different states, all for long hours (8-4:30) and the pay was all very similar, somewhere between $20,000-$22,000. I should mention that this was all in MO schools, which are known to pay better, and none in the East Coast.

I was recently offered a job as a lead preschool teacher in a more religious MO school, and the pay was STILL $22,000.

Why so low? Because I have no degree. I am working on it though, even though I am in my mid 30s.

Bottom line, OP - your DD needs to have that degree in her hand.

Anon because people who know me will link me to this post.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Apr 18 2016, 1:50 pm
thanks for the replies....
so she is in school part time at nights but works during the day. was just curious if she is getting paid the fair amount. I was a bit bothered when she told me how much she was making!

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Apr 18 2016, 3:15 pm
I did the same thing when I came back from seminary. I was in college and worked as an assistant in special education preschool from 8:45-3. The salary was 15,000. This was 3 years ago.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Apr 18 2016, 3:17 pm
amother wrote:
thanks for the replies....
so she is in school part time at nights but works during the day. was just curious if she is getting paid the fair amount. I was a bit bothered when she told me how much she was making!

Is she making more or less than were saying?

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Apr 18 2016, 3:31 pm
An assistant at our preschool quit to become a cashier, for higher pay. It is definitely a stepping-stone job for someone to decide whether or not to become an early-childhood teacher, or to get work experience and (some) pay while in school.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Apr 18 2016, 3:51 pm
so they pay by the hour, and after taxes it comes out to around 12$. she is looking into other schools but this seems to be the going rate

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Apr 18 2016, 4:57 pm
The school I work in now, and the previous school I worked in both pay below 10,000 to assistants. Generally it's a half day job and non-special ed schools. I know the previous school pays about 5-6 thousand for the year, half day and the school I currently work in pays about 8-9. These are Flatbush schools. I know many of the assistants in my current school are in college and are working to have some sort of income with a very low stress job.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Apr 18 2016, 5:37 pm
DD works from 9-4, so it is full time... she goes to night class

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Apr 18 2016, 9:30 pm
my dh works as an assistant rebbe in 2 of the schools in my community (well, the 2nd he only started about 5 weeks ago cuz they had to fire the person he took over for various reasons) and in 1 school he gets 1500 for 8-12 (watches the kids who comes early for an additional 100/month so 1400 before that) and the other job is 600/month for 12:30-3...

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Apr 18 2016, 10:25 pm
I worked 3 years in a daycare as an assistant and was Underpaid. Worked from 8:45-4. Got paid $1250 month, Which included a raise. This boss takes advantage of her teachers/assistant's. It's a really difficult job and these bosses should learn to pay more Confused

flippingout18!

Post Sun, May 08 2016, 3:49 pm
my friend gets paid 16k for the year. very underpaid for the work she does
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics