Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Stupid phone interveiws!!!

Seraph

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 2:19 am
I just had to let off a little steam at this usual reccurence...
I get contacted about a resume I sent in regarding a job offer (that wouldn't conflict at all with my being pregnant). They already know my qualifications, and decide my qualifications are good enough so they call me up.
They ask me two or three short questions: How old are you? Why do you specifically want this type of job (temporary or work from home)? Etc.
I mention my age, and that because I'm expecting its ideal for me.
And the next second, "Ok, I'll have to think about it. I'll get back in touch with you."

Yea... Right. Rolling Eyes We know that means "Ok, have a nice life, I'm never gonna talk to you again."

If you're gonna be that rude about it, I'm glad I'm not gonna work for you anyhow. Makes me happy I don't know that person. (But one person who I just had a "phone interveiw" with is very good friends with my FIL!!! so its embarassing...)

But hey, at least they didn't make me shlep in for an interveiw, only to be told the first second I get there, "Ok, we'll be in touch with you."

ARGHHH!!! This is soooo frustrating!! Especially when I'm sooo qualified for the job, and its a job that doesn't conflict at all with my being pregnant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chen

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 7:00 am
Where do you live? In the US it is illegal to ask your age, except to verify that you are between the ages of 18 and 70. (Under 18 they can ask for your age because then you have to supply working papers, and there are certain jobs you are not allowed to do and hours you are not allowed to work, depending on exactly how old you are.) It is also illegal to ask if you're pregnant; they are allowed to ask if there is any reason why you would not be able to fulfill the physical demands of the job, to which you can answer yes or no but do not have to specify exactly what your physical or mental challenge is.

your telling them that you're expecting was probably a mistake, especially if you would be working from home and the pg would have no effect on your ability to do the work. frankly, if I had two candidiates identical in evry way except that one was pregnant and one not, I'd go for the one who isn't. the one who is pregnant under the best of circumstances will be out of commission for a few weeks in the near future. even if the other one got pregnant tomorrow, she would still give me a few good months longer than the one who is pregnant now.

incidentally, very few employers will offer you a job on the spot, even if they are not interviewing other candidates, which they probably are, and even if they think you're a cross between Wonder Woman, Florence Nightingale and Mother Theresa. From what you are saying it doesn't sound as if the interviewer was rude--except for asking the illegal question about your age, which s/he may not have known was illegal.

From a resume the employer does not know you are what she wants--it is merely an introduction. Your resume tells her you may possibly be a possibility that warrants further investigation or you are a no way no how. That's why they have an interview process.

Most people interview with at least a few different places before they get a job offer, and many people interview with more than a few. If you're really not what the people want, be glad you didn't have to get dressed up, travel to wherever and spend half your day plus carfare to find that out.

faigie

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 7:08 am
call your FIL up immediately and have him push the issue with his friend to hire you. tell him youre very qualified and you value this job, sohis friend will be satisfied with your work.

Ima'la

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 10:09 am
In E"Y it is very common to ask age, as well as marital status and # of children. (It's usually printed on resumes.) Perhaps being pregnant won't interfere with the job - but won't maternity leave interfere?!

Seraph

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 10:26 am
Ima'la wrote:
In E"Y it is very common to ask age, as well as marital status and # of children. (It's usually printed on resumes.) Perhaps being pregnant won't interfere with the job - but won't maternity leave interfere?!
Some of these jobs are just for two months- and I'm iy'h not planning on giving birth within that time...

cdawnr

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 10:37 am
May I ask...how old are you? Perhaps you are coming off very young and that is affecting their reactions.

A lot of people don't recognize how they come off when speaking to others, and maybe you need to "hone your interview skills" even for phone interviews.

faigie

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 10:37 am
this is when family and friends count.. ask fil to push it!

cdawnr

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 10:40 am
oh yeah, and I absolutely disagree about hiding the fact that you are preg. If I remember correctly from other posts, you are 7 months prgnant (correct me if I am wrong). So that means that an employer could maybe get 2 months out of you before you have the baby and then who knows. I recover and start working from home very quickly after a baby, but not everyone is like that at all.

If you were 4 months pregnant, that's one thing, but if you are in your 3rd trimester that is something else.

Breslov, On a separate note-- you seem to have quite a bit of time on your hands (sorry, but I noticed how often you are able to post). Perhaps during these final months you could volunteer for an organization and gain more work experience from that to express to people.

Seraph

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 10:59 pm
cdawnr wrote:
May I ask...how old are you? Perhaps you are coming off very young and that is affecting their reactions.

A lot of people don't recognize how they come off when speaking to others, and maybe you need to "hone your interview skills" even for phone interviews.

I am very young, but, no, I don't come across as young on the phone or in person- I pass for mid twenties most of the time. So I doubt that is my problem.
To those of you that asked- I'm due beg of sept, so jobs that are looking for june/july or beg of august, or are work from home jobs, aren't conflicting to my being preg...

And yes, I have WAAAAY too much time on my hands. Don't have many organizations around here to volunteer with, but I go to as many shiurim as possible to keep myself busy. Its driving me bonkers that I have this much free time...
And I do have work experience, so that's not the issue...

Seraph

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 10:59 pm
faigie wrote:
this is when family and friends count.. ask fil to push it!

I'm not into that. Because then if the guy still doesn't want to hire me, it makes both me and FIL uncomfortable.

faigie

Post Tue, Jun 05 2007, 6:48 am
.................this is what family is for, to help each other!!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics