Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Question about a doctor in CHOP/phila

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Apr 19 2016, 8:51 am
can someone tell me if I was wrong? ds has a complicated case of encopresis/constipation

the doctor met me twice within the last 3 months. I deal with a nurse all other visits. and we go weekly bec he needs to be monitored.

his situatation got much worse. there is no improvement at all. despite putting in so much effort.

I called the office yesterday and said I wanto speak with the dr and not the nurse.knowing how things are running the nurse called me. and I did not get a call from the doctor. I called this morning saying I am frustrated that she didnt call back and if anyone cares to call me

then I get this phone call this morning that the dr has a family and she might have had a problem with one of her kids. all upset at me.

she called me to defend her workers and was upset at me and that she had a conference call till 9 pm and didnt want to call me at that hour. and that her workers are sad now.

I realize that the only way to get her to call me is through being nasty.

I dont even know if its wise to continue using her altogher. if shes that busy and cant give me the time of day and I can only have access to her nurse then what good is she? maybe for others she is but not for me. I dont have anyone else at this point so I might not have a choice but was I that wrong?

what would you do when your child is pooping in his pants in school at 7 yrs of age? and everything you try doesnt help. even the doctors are having a hard time. wouldnt you feel frustrated when your not getting help from tthe so called expert in the field?

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Apr 19 2016, 8:56 am
bh' ds isnt in any danger. I know there is this problem out there. and some people were talking about it here. so I know someone out there will understand me. and my frustration. I feel like crying. why cant this problem be resolved already? its just too painful for me to watch my son having this. my heart goes out.

I am so lost. please dont lecture me I am so hurt from this already. I just feel like this doctor whatever expert she is is not really helping me in the way she can.

I would never have left this message had she called me back. its bec I dont get her calling me back its always this dumb nurse.

are they kidding me? for such a complicated issue and they send me a nurse instead of their top expert? and the nurse did give a nasty comment to my son. that hes tough and trouble maker. I dont know what to say anymore. when I stopped her she pulled back from her comment.

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Apr 19 2016, 8:57 am
I have found in general in CHOP you deal more with NP or PA then the actual dr. Sometimes for appointments I had to be assertive to see the dr. And sometimes I can't get appointments because the dr isn't available and then I make some crazy appointment for when he is and don't even see the dr.

If you aren't happy, no matter how good the dr is, you should find a different dr. It isn't worth the frustration. Can you call your pediatrician and ask if there is someone else they can recommend.

(BTW I had a son that at 7 and older was having dirty accidents due to constipation. Obviously, not as bad as your son because my pediatrician didn't send me to a dr. and had me work on my patience along with some home remedies. According to him it was a physical maturity issue that many boys deal with - but it took a lot of patience to not react and just deal with the mess and smell... good luck)

mha3484

Post Tue, Apr 19 2016, 8:58 am
To be honest that is how a lot of hospital based MD's work. I see a top GI Dr who is based out of a major hospital in my area. There is a nurse assigned to each Dr or sometimes shared between a few and she is the primary go between. If you have an issue you talk to her and she talks to the Dr. I find it frustrating and I have thought about switching to a privately owned practice for it. It may just be how the office is run.

scrltfr

Post Tue, Apr 19 2016, 9:14 am
I've used dr. Grossman at chop and never had an issue as far as getting call backs. Maybe get a second opinion?

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Apr 19 2016, 9:21 am
firstly I have tears now just reading your responses. I so so so appreciate the time you took to answer me. thanks tan amother for telling me your experience. I will have a talk with my pediatrician and see if he can recommend someone else.

I will ask about dr grossman. its sounds like hes great. I just dont know if he deals with this particular issue. so I am waiting for a callback from my pediatrician.

thanks again for your responses! I feel like someone here understands me.

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Apr 19 2016, 9:25 am
tan amother was it constipation. or stool withholding? was he just holding himslef in and then just let it out at home?

btw who is your pediatrician if I may ask? just wondering if its the same as mine and maybe I can tell him to deal with it the same way?I am holding onto any straw I can get. I am so lost. this issue doesnt look like its going away anytime soon. its been this way for like over 2 yrs.

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Apr 19 2016, 9:32 am
I use Dr Shanik in Lakewood. I had spoken to him about it and Dr Braverman.
They both felt that he was so constipated that when his body started going he didn't have control about when it came. I don't think he was holding it in and he wasn't in pain.
Their suggestion was to give lots of fruit juice (apple, grape, etc) and wait it out and let his body mature. When it got very bad they suggested taking something to help, it was over the counter.
b'h he is almost 10 and it seems like a long time ago already.
He had accidents all the time - in school, at friends house, on the bus. I remember once picking him up from a friend and he stunk so bad and I was mortified.
He would also hide his dirty underwear in the laundry pile so I wouldn't see and it would get mixed up in the wash and make the most disgusting messes that were so much bigger then they had to be.
It was definitely a very trying time, I hope you get to the bottom of it soon.

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Apr 19 2016, 11:08 am
It almost sounds like what my son has
The doctor wants to do barium enema to c if he has abnormality in the colon
for how long did it last?
I never thought of just giving my son juices to help with this

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Apr 19 2016, 11:11 am
It's interesting to know that it just resolved itself
It sounds so different from all the cases of this issue
So u didn't even see a GI for this?

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Apr 19 2016, 12:26 pm
No. The pediatrician felt that it was normal so I never went further. Especially because 2 doctors were so sure of themselves.
It felt like like it lasted forever and I don't remember exactly, but it was probably some where between 1 and 2 years. It slowly tapered off.
I would assume that if the doctors are concerned there may be more 2 it. But you could try fruit juices and a mild laxative to see if it works. I think we did use Metamucil powder every so often, but the drs really rathered we didn't.
If there are other underlying issues (like IBS) then additional fiber can make matters worse. But in our case it helped.

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Apr 19 2016, 12:29 pm
Also if your child is acting out at the appointments its possible he is embarrassed about hearing it discussed with a dr. by 7 kids know what is normal and what isn't.

Orchid

Post Tue, Apr 19 2016, 7:24 pm
I don't have advice on this specific issue, but I wanted to let you know, OP, that many times I've had the worst experience with "the Expert" doctor for many varied reasons (either I point blank couldn't get through, they were too arrogant to take my concerns seriously, whatever). If I don't get good care then I leave. I hope you find the right shaliach soon. And refuah shelaima to your son.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics