Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Nut free chocolate?

amother

Post Sun, Oct 07 2012, 10:42 am
Sorry, I'm anon because a lot of people know how sad I am about this...
I just found out that I'm seriously allergic to nuts (anaphylactic allergic) and I am a major chocoholic. Every single chocolate bar in the store has an allergy statement! (we keep cholov yisrael) Does anybody know a brand that's OK?

amother

Post Wed, Oct 10 2012, 8:34 am
bump

yOungM0mmy

Post Wed, Oct 10 2012, 8:52 am
Both myself and my son are allergic to nuts and have been fine with Elite plain chocolate with the cows. Also, Hashachar Ha'Oleh does a nut free chocolate spread (which I eat straight out of the container with a spoon) and a nut-free baking chocolate bar.
Enjoy!

Rodent

Post Wed, Oct 10 2012, 9:35 am
We can get parev nut free certified chocolate here by a company called "Sweet William". Not sure if they are available overseas but it may give you something to look out for. Here they are in the health food section of every supermarket, under the Kosher Australia hechsher. They have regular, white (not keen on the white though), with rice crispies, and a tangerine flavoured chocolate.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 10 2012, 11:58 am
Thanks! That Sweet William site looks yummy. I wish it was available in the US.
yOungM0mmy, is all of that company's chocolate spread nut free? (I am so the type to eat it straight with the spoon)

yrs1025

Post Wed, Oct 10 2012, 12:07 pm
http://choclat.com/

They are based in Cleveland, Ohio.

Chocolate Emporium
14486 Cedar Road
Cleveland, Ohio 44121
(216) 382-0140
1-888-CHOCLAT
(216) 382-2161 FAX

amother

Post Wed, Oct 10 2012, 6:51 pm
So, I checked out choclat.com, and I have a kinda not so nice question...is it that good? Cause it is really, really expensive, and if I buy it in bulk to save shipping I'd have a LOT of chocolate. Which would be good, if it was fabulous chocolate, you know?

Mommy3.5

Post Wed, Oct 10 2012, 8:00 pm
Enjoy Life chocolate is really good. It's nut, egg, wheat, gluten, dairy, corn and soy free. There is a milk chocolate nut free brand, but it isn't CY.

I.would not use elite chocolate with a known allergy to nuts, they have a may contain nuts statement, and no chocolate is worth doing for.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 10 2012, 8:44 pm
Thanks, I checked that website, too. What hechsher are they? I see "kosher" but not by who.

Mommy3.5

Post Wed, Oct 10 2012, 9:59 pm
I haven't bought them In a while, but I believe it was crc Chicago rabbinical council. I asked a friend who sadhus it may be OU, but I remember it being crc. I don't have any here at the moment so I cannot check. I remember that it was a good hechsher though.

Mommy3.5

Post Wed, Oct 10 2012, 10:04 pm
Amazon, has an image of the bag, it's crc.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 11 2012, 6:39 pm
Thanks! Amazon sells it? Yay - I can try a bar or two next time I buy something from them. : )

TSmom

Post Thu, Oct 25 2012, 12:48 pm
Enjoy life has an OU on their choc chips. I believe its as well on the choc. bars now. They are SO good. The choc. chunks are addictive! Perfect for decadent cookies. The bars I personally really like the "milk" choc. crispe one. Its pareve.

They are an amazing company and brand. We have been using their products since they bought hashgacha years ago.

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Apr 19 2016, 12:21 am
Bump.
Any chocolate bars that can be used for marble cake recipes that will not have nuts in them? For Pesach of course Very Happy

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Apr 19 2016, 11:30 am
Bump

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Apr 19 2016, 9:24 pm
Whole foods sells a brand called Harrison's original sweet shoppe that is labeled nut free and is for pesach. Here's a photo of them (from a different store's website). I have not contacted the company to confirm details. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Harr.....18018

Also, I cannot recall the brand at the moment, but one of the Passover brands of chocolate chips carried in kosher shops has been labeled nut free in the past. I think it has a few different colors of brown on the bag.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Apr 19 2016, 10:55 pm
My ds is severely allergic too. Although I am super careful I want to bring one point to your attention/ there are two different ways they label that really tell you about the product .
If it says " may contain nuts" then even if nuts are not listed in the ingredients it may contain up to 2% nut ingreds
If it says may contain traces of nuts- them there are no actual nut ingredients but may be made in place or on machine where there may be some residue etc. or not, it's a way to protect themselves in case there ever is a problem. Almost all chocolate is labeled as such.

Although I would never give my son the first type. I have given him from the second type .

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Apr 20 2016, 2:19 am
Make your own chocolate using coconut oil, cocoa & any sweetener you like (I found KLP Agave).

You can find recipes all over. (Can't find mine now). You freeze it in thin sheets & then chunk or you can drop for choc chips.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Apr 20 2016, 2:21 am
Not trying to wind up on a tangent, but regarding food labeling, if nuts (or another "top 8" allergen) is an actual ingredient, it is required to be labeled as such by law in the US.

May contain, may contain traces, made on shared equipment, and all such other warnings or statements and their formulations are completely voluntary and at the discretion of the manufacturer. They can mean something or nothing, entirely dependent on how careful and precise the manufacturer is. The only way to know what the manufacturer's actual practices are is to contact them and ask. I do so (after learning the hard way) and have gotten answers all across the board, many inconsistent with the company's labeling (this is in the voluntary statement category, not the legally mandated ingredients category). Since we're talking chocolate, one company I called has a "may contain tree nuts and peanuts" warning and, in fact, does not have those foods in their facility and never has. They told me that they put the warning on the label in case that changes in the future, so the labels don't have to be reprinted.

As another example, a popular baked goods company told me that their pastries are made in a variety of local bakeries to whom the work is contracted; some of those bakeries put "may contain" warnings on the packaging and others do not; all handle nuts and several other "top 8" allergens and all come in the same branded boxes. In big metro areas, where multiple of these bakeries are supplying goods under the same brand name, one could theoretically purchase two boxes of the "same" baked good and one box could say "may contain tree nuts" and the other has no "may contain" statement, and both were made in places/equipment that also handle tree nuts.

Anyway, it's all frustrating, especially in the world of chocolate. And even more so at pesach.

It doesn't help for Pesach, but another chocolate company with good allergen practices is Pascha; they have a dedicated facility free of the top 8, as well as a longer list of foods that they have posted on their website.
Also, I think the company Equal Exchange produces some of their chocolates in a facility in Peru that is nut-free.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics