Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Scrawy baby. Please help.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, Apr 22 2016, 10:47 am
My baby was born 7.2. Left the hospital @ 6.11 lbs. Now @ 5 1/2 months her weight is 11.5lbs. Doc is okay with it, & tells me I can continue breastfeeding & dont need to supplement only if baby wants.
I dont stop getting comments from friends & family members how small my baby is.
She really does look scrawy compared to other babies her age, but is basically content & her developmrntal milestones are great.
This is all stressing me out. Should I not be concerned cuz doc is not, or should I be l,cuz my family is driving me crazy???? I know they mean well, but its painful to hear.
This is my 6th baby.
My others were all chubby.
This one is still wearing her 3 month stretchies.

grace413

Post Fri, Apr 22 2016, 10:55 am
Listen to the doctor, ignore the family and enjoy your baby.

mha3484

Post Fri, Apr 22 2016, 10:57 am
Listen to the Dr. My baby was like this and now he is 5 and in the 81st percentile. Around 18 months he just quadrupled.

amazingmommy

Post Fri, Apr 22 2016, 11:03 am
If your doctor is not concerned, I would let it go..
My baby is also a small baby, and was born 7.13.. My baby is gaining, slow but steady.. Some children have such a nature..

N'sMom

Post Fri, Apr 22 2016, 11:15 am
My daughter was like that. My doctor said that as long as she was hitting her developmental milestones and not losing weight everything is fine. Don't worry and trust your dr. And have a chag kasher ve sameach.

mommy3b2c

Post Fri, Apr 22 2016, 11:19 am
My first was also like that. Born huge, and then fell into 3rd percentile. Nine years later, and he is huge. Very tall and unfortunately overweight. Just count your blessings that your child is healthy. Better skinny then fat.

Laiya

Post Fri, Apr 22 2016, 11:59 am
If you're very concerned you can always take her to a GI, no harm.

anonymrs

Post Fri, Apr 22 2016, 12:36 pm
It's really not ok. Have you tried supplementing with formula to see if she can gain weight but isn't getting enough from nursing? Does she eat solids? Does she cry a lot? Spit up a lot? Does she sweat or get red in the face when she nurses? Did she have a heart murmur or anything else unusual at birth?

mummiedearest

Post Fri, Apr 22 2016, 12:40 pm
anonymrs wrote:
It's really not ok. Have you tried supplementing with formula to see if she can gain weight but isn't getting enough from nursing? Does she eat solids? Does she cry a lot? Spit up a lot? Does she sweat or get red in the face when she nurses? Did she have a heart murmur or anything else unusual at birth?

yes, it is ok. babies don't all gain at the same rate. if the child is otherwise happy and healthy, there's no reason to stuff the kid with extra calories.

anonymrs

Post Fri, Apr 22 2016, 12:50 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
yes, it is ok. babies don't all gain at the same rate. if the child is otherwise happy and healthy, there's no reason to stuff the kid with extra calories.

Not really. My kids are petite and they breastfeed. They are sometimes off the charts and that's ok. But for a newborn to be gaining at a rate of 1 pound a month is really not enough. Either they're not eating enough or they're not gaining despite the fact that they are getting enough.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics