Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
Frum Bathing Suits (double thread merged)
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

greenfire

Post Tue, Jun 05 2007, 11:39 am
gold21 wrote:
green knew you would say something like that! Tongue Out
youre such a "go for it" supportive person....
Tongue Out

choc moose, yeah....like a tankini type thing? I like those too.... Tongue Out

thanks goldy - you mean I do something right ...\

my dd has tankini ... they're cute ... not really anything like a bikini ... more like t-shirt and panties ... just an inch or 2 in betweeny ...

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jun 05 2007, 12:19 pm
supermom wrote:
Gela wrote:
I know women who wear these, don't know if it is from this site:

http://www.wholesomewear.com/page-4.html

I've seen it wit long sleeves too, but cannot find now.

How are these tsnuis even with long sleeves when a persons feet are totally exposed?

The knees are covered. The feet don't have to be covered too, b'h.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jun 05 2007, 12:49 pm
exactly. a tankini. perfect for the girl whose shape is not consistent.

cl

Post Wed, Jun 06 2007, 10:20 am
I have actually seen girls wear these - I was surprised cos we were in a ladies-only swimming session but I guess they r better than swimming in a robe.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Jun 06 2007, 11:21 am
can I ask (and I ask this with complete respectfulness, I dont understand this) : why does one need a tzanua bathing suit? if you are swimming with only women, cant you be in just a bathing suit? and if you are mixed swimming, well, then isnt that o with you that you are mixed swimming?

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jun 06 2007, 11:24 am
it's not safe to swim in a robe.

Mrs. XYZ

Post Wed, Jun 06 2007, 11:45 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
can I ask (and I ask this with complete respectfulness, I dont understand this) : why does one need a tzanua bathing suit? if you are swimming with only women, cant you be in just a bathing suit? and if you are mixed swimming, well, then isnt that o with you that you are mixed swimming?

There is an 'inyan' to try to be as tzniusdik as possible at ALL times. No, its not a halacha, I think according to halacha women would be allowed to swim naked together. Its a chumra, that even the walls of your house should not 'see' you untzniusdik. Would you (I dont mean you) walk around in a bathing suit in your house? some would, some wouldn't, some walk around with hair and feet uncovered, some dont. Tznius is not only halacha, its a feeling, a sensitivity.
So some swim with bikinis, some with bathing suits, some with bathing suits and t-shirts, some with 'shvim kleider', some with robes, and some with robes and tights! (no I'm not on that madreiga yet Tongue Out )

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Jun 06 2007, 11:52 am
Mrs. XYZ wrote:
shabbatiscoming wrote:

There is an 'inyan' to try to be as tzniusdik as possible at ALL times. No, its not a halacha, I think according to halacha women would be allowed to swim naked together. Its a chumra, that even the walls of your house should not 'see' you untzniusdik. Would you (I dont mean you) walk around in a bathing suit in your house? some would, some wouldn't, some walk around with hair and feet uncovered, some dont. Tznius is not only halacha, its a feeling, a sensitivity.
So some swim with bikinis, some with bathing suits, some with bathing suits and t-shirts, some with 'shvim kleider', some with robes, and some with robes and tights! (no I'm not on that madreiga yet Tongue Out )

got it. thanks for the explanation!

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jun 06 2007, 10:33 pm
I remember when I went swimming to friends who had a summer pool, we were all in regular bathing suit, no robe but no two pieces/bikini either.

Motek

Post Thu, Jun 07 2007, 12:06 pm
hadasa wrote:
Isn't there an Inyan in being Tzniusdik even when it's not absolutely required by Halachah?

in a beis ha'merchatz? not that I know of

hair yes, Isha Kimchis

otherwise? there was communal bathing in bath houses in years gone by, separate for men and women, and from what I've read, they were not dressed and this was standard for pious communities

Rambam in Mishna Torah writes about females being aware of a kalla's physical handicaps from seeing her in the bathhouse.

ceo

Post Thu, Jun 14 2007, 3:46 pm
For those who want a frum bathing suit on a budget:

you can buy swimsuit material at fabric. com and sew yourself a long t-shirt to wear as a coverup. This eliminates the problem of being weighed down by a cotton t-shirt. If you don't sew, you can find a seamstress in your area who can do this.

Also, if you search on google for "modest bathing suit," there are people who will custom make bathing modest bathing suits for you. Might be worth doing a search. I don't have the site anymore, but I found someone online who makes suits for around $25-$30,plus the cost of fabric, which isn't unreasonable.

BennysMommy

Post Thu, Jun 14 2007, 4:04 pm
gold21 wrote:
oh.......
I guess im on a different level....
if it was socially acceptable in our circles to wear a bikini, I would be the first one wearing it! (obviously only in front of women)
no no no I dont wear a bikini, I would certainly get very odd looks Wink

same here. would need to lose some weight first though!

roza

Post Thu, Jun 14 2007, 6:05 pm
for 'frum' bathing suit I use long swim shorts, swimming t-shirt and a bra (find it better for support), sport swim cap. no need to spend money on specialized 'modest' bathing suits.
ok, lets jump in girls! 8) Tongue Out

whoami

Post Fri, Jun 15 2007, 1:44 pm
FYI - your hair does not need to b covered when swimming. the rest of your body being uncovered is much more of an ervah than hair.

amother

Post Sun, Jun 17 2007, 1:21 am
I just ordered a suit from Lands End for my 13-year-old daughter, consisting of a long-sleeve ("rash guard" shirt) and capri pants. A bit expensive but very cute, safe, tznius (although pants). My daughter wants to be covered when she swims. She knows she can wear a regular suit and when she was younger, she did. But now that she is BH quite "developed", and BH has internalized tznius very much and takes it very seriously, she feels uncomfortable with the idea of being exposed around other people, even when swimming.

She is going to an overnight camp she went to last year, where they say they will have swimming in a private pool, but last year they ended up in a different pool than planned, and there were men nearby. My daughter was uncomfortable and ended up keeping a shirt over her suit.

I looked at the Aqua Modesta dresses & skirts and they seem good for women who want to be comfortable and "waterproof" for playing at the beach with their kids, even if they themselves might not swim. The skirts are the first I've seen that are longer length. If I could sew better I would just make a cute wraparound skirt for a coverup, with a bit more length than the Lands End swim skirts.

My opinion about whether frum girls/women should wear tznius swimwear is this: Since more and more mainstream companies are offering suits with more coverage -- both for reaons of sun protection AND for modesty (to their standards) -- why not take advantage of it? It seems almost strange to go out in a revealing suit when more covered-up ones are readily available. Where to draw the line is an individual decision, but when faced with a page in a catalog of millions of styles, why should a frum woman choose a skimpy one over a more modest one, all other things being equal?

Also.... is a swimming pool or a public beach really a "bathhouse" halachically speaking? I can understand being naked to bathe, but swimming isn't really the same -- is it? Or is it?

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jun 17 2007, 9:14 am
Quote:
they say they will have swimming in a private pool, but last year they ended up in a different pool than planned, and there were men nearby.

shock shock shock
Another reason why I'm against camps. They're expensive, you can't trust some of them on security and standards....
The same thing happened to me in Mo camp. The swimming was supposed to be apart but finally everyone went together. The kashrus was also problematic.
My parents would never send me where there was a swimming pool because lo aleinu accidents happen not that rarely.... :(The above story was a river. I ended up keeing my skirt and tee shirt although I had a bathing suit under, I went to walk a bit in the water, but that's it.

Quote:

why should a frum woman choose a skimpy one over a more modest one, all other things being equal?

I agree. But not sure swim wear is necessary when no guy around. A regular but modest bathing suit is ok for me.

Motek

Post Sun, Jun 17 2007, 11:43 am
Ruchel wrote:
My parents would never send me where there was a swimming pool because lo aleinu accidents happen not that rarely.... :(The above story was a river.

They think rivers are safer than pools? Why?

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jun 17 2007, 11:55 am
In pools, it has happened that the hair got stuck in the stuff that changes water and the kid drowns Crying
In (small) rivers, there is no such risk and the water isn't very deep or very "powerful".

But later that day, we discovered that the sewers fell in that river. EWWWWW. I was so happy I didn't swim.

Motek

Post Sun, Jun 17 2007, 8:19 pm
I have never heard of people drowning in pools because of getting caught in the filter. And in camps, I've heard of swimming in lakes (a still body of water), not rivers.

anyway, it seems most fitting to post these lyrics here Twisted Evil :

Quote:
Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka-dot Bikini
Brian Hyland
Music
She was afraid to come out of the locker
She was as nervous as she could be
She was afraid to come out of the locker
She was afraid that somebody would see
One, two, three, four, tell the people what she wore

[ It was an itsy bitsy teenie weenie yellow polka-dot bikini
That she wore for the first time today.
An itsy bitsy teentie weenie yellow polka-dot bikini ]
So in the locker she wanted to stay.
Two, three, four, stick around we'll tell you more

She was afraid to come out in the open
And so a blanket around she wore
She was afraid to come out in the open
And so she sat bundled up on the shore
Two, three, four, tell the people what she wore
[ repeat ]

So in the blanket she wanted to stay.
Two, three, four, stick around we'll tell you more

Now she is afraid to come out of the water
And I wonder what she's gonna do
Now she is afraid to come out of the water
And the poor little girl's turning blue
Two, three, four, tell the people what she wore
[ repeat ]

So in the water she wanted to stay.
From the locker to the blanket
From the blanket to the shore
From the shore to the water
Yes there isn't any more.

MommyLuv

Post Sun, Jun 17 2007, 8:34 pm
Motek, lol...that little girl was on to something.

Personally, I can't imagine wearing a bikini, even only among women. Confused

And I don't have a terrible body either Tongue Out , even if I look quite pregnant.
It's basically like wearing a bra and underwear in front of other people....with just a different type of fabric.

A tad too revealing for me. But to each his own!
Wink
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics