Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Social Worker for ASD 3 yr old

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Apr 25 2016, 10:23 pm
Hi! I have a 3.5 year old with ASD. BH she receives a lot of therapy as she needs.
I feel we are lacking and not targeting her lack of emotional regulation, understanding herself and other etc. yes in the ABA, she is being trained to live in her envirement, but I feel like she needs to understand herself and others more with a social worker/play therapist. she is very bright KAH , but doesnt naturally get it, and is easily triggered, doesnt transition well.
somehow we need it make her understand emotions more. hers and others. (outside the context of social interaction)
so, anyone know if there is an agency or how I can find child play therapist that would come to my home, who takes insurance?
we have Oxford. live in NY

thank you

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Apr 25 2016, 10:31 pm
amother wrote:
Hi! I have a 3.5 year old with ASD. BH she receives a lot of therapy as she needs.
I feel we are lacking and not targeting her lack of emotional regulation, understanding herself and other etc. yes in the ABA, she is being trained to live in her envirement, but I feel like she needs to understand herself and others more with a social worker/play therapist. she is very bright KAH , but doesnt naturally get it, and is easily triggered, doesnt transition well.
somehow we need it make her understand emotions more. hers and others. (outside the context of social interaction)
so, anyone know if there is an agency or how I can find child play therapist that would come to my home, who takes insurance?
we have Oxford. live in NY

thank you

You sound like a very in-tune mom. The best approach for building social/emotional skills and self regulation skills in ASD children is the DIR / Floor time model. You should be looking for a Floor time trained therapist. The practitioners who train in this model are usually OT, special educators, or speech therapists ( not typically social workers). There are some agencies that heavily emphasize this model as well. The therapist should be training you in floor time and play skills as well so you can incorporate the techniques throughout your child's day. The parent education model is heavily promoted with DIR/ floor time and is a cornerstone of the approach.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers