Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
This cake recipe came out amazing. Doesn't taste pesachdi'k.
Previous  1  2

Mevater

Post Mon, Apr 25 2016, 6:28 am
lovemytwins wrote:
I made 6 different cake recipes trying to find one that was really good. This one doesn't taste pesachdi'k, it's fantastic. It flew off the table in one sitting.

Blondies
• 4 eggs
• 1 cup sugar
• 1 cup light brown sugar
• 1 cup oil
• 3 teaspoons vanilla sugar
• 3 teaspoons baking powder
• 1 cup potato starch
• 1 cup chocolate chips
• 1 cup ground walnuts
Mix everything in one bowl. Bake in a greased 9x13 pan on 350 for 40 minutes, should be a bit underdone.

I baked other cakes that were ok, but this one took forever to bake, and even after much longer baking, was wet in the center. Anyone else had that, or did I goof somewhere?

Casaserena

Post Mon, Apr 25 2016, 7:14 am
The blondies came out amazing, except that the chocolate chips sunk to the bottom and became like a chocolate crust. Some of us loved it, some didn't. Is this the way it's supposed to be (doubt it)? How to correct?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 25 2016, 7:54 am
Casaserena wrote:
The blondies came out amazing, except that the chocolate chips sunk to the bottom and became like a chocolate crust. Some of us loved it, some didn't. Is this the way it's supposed to be (doubt it)? How to correct?

Use mini chocolate chips and sprinkle some on top instead of mixing them all in.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 25 2016, 7:59 am
Mevater wrote:
I baked other cakes that were ok, but this one took forever to bake, and even after much longer baking, was wet in the center. Anyone else had that, or did I goof somewhere?

They are meant to be ooey and gooey like molten brownies but even so I make a slightly smaller batter than the recipe above and use the same 9x13 pan so that it's more spread out. Works better for me.

ttbtbm

Post Mon, Apr 25 2016, 8:28 am
ra_mom wrote:
They are meant to be ooey and gooey like molten brownies but even so I make a slightly smaller batter than the recipe above and use the same 9x13 pan so that it's more spread out. Works better for me.

Do you cut down on the ingredients or just don't pour all the batter into the pan?

Mevater

Post Mon, Apr 25 2016, 9:17 am
I tried this recipe and I was unsuccesful. I analyzed it.

The recipe above is very similar to one I made successfully in 2012, posted by OOTBubby

http://www.imamother.com/forum.....uares

1½ cups oil
6 eggs
1½ cups sugar
2 cups brown sugar
2 tsp. vanilla sugar
2 cups potato starch
1½ cup ground almonds
1 (10 oz) bag chocolate chips (I like to use mini chips)

Preheat oven to 350. Line 2 9x13 pans with parchment and set aside.

Combine oil, eggs and sugars. Gradually add potato starch and almonds.

Divide batter between the 2 pans. Sprinkle evenly with chocolate chips.

Bake for 55 minutes to an hour. When cooled cut into squares.

Note: I've made the standard blondie recipe (similar to this, half the ingredients, a little less brown sugar) for many years, and this one came out much, much better. I used hazelnut oil in which I think helped.
________

but the recipe I made in 2012 has proportionately more starch and a longer baking time. Everything in OOTBubby's recipe is 1.5 times the recipe amounts here (This recipe uses 4 eggs, OOTBubby recipe uses 6 eggs), except the amount of starch is more than 1.5 times this recipe, needing less baking time because batter is more liquidy, and yet it says to bake even longer, 55 minutes for OOTBubby's recipe, 40 minutes for this recipe.

Last edited by Mevater on Mon, May 02 2016, 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Elizabeth W

Post Mon, Apr 25 2016, 12:18 pm
im wondering abt a real yummy passover chocolate cake
any ideas for a moist good cake?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 25 2016, 1:27 pm
ttbtbm wrote:
Do you cut down on the ingredients or just don't pour all the batter into the pan?

This is how I make it (tollhouse chocolate chip).
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....art=0
Elizabeth W wrote:
im wondering abt a real yummy passover chocolate cake
any ideas for a moist good cake?

Make the moist chocolate cake from mishpacha a few years ago. Also on the thread linked above.

etky

Post Tue, Apr 26 2016, 5:08 am
I just baked this cake today.
This year I baked ra_mom's version (Tollhouse cake) b/c after analyzing and comparing the recipes I saw that hers had a slightly higher p. starch content relative to the other ingredients and I was aiming for a firmer, less gooey result.
I also noticed that ra_mom's version contained far less baking powder which appealed to me b/c in the past I've had a problem with this cake rising too much and then falling - often a sign of too much baking powder.
I also wanted a cake that would fit nicely into the 9x13 foil pan since in previous years, after one disasterous experience when the batter overflowed the pan, I've had to use a larger pan or two smaller pans to accomodate the batter.
The cake came out wonderfully.
I followed ra_mom's recipe other than adding 1/2 c. of ground walnuts (her recipe doesn't call for nuts). This recipe does not depend on nuts for structure since it has more p. starch but I wanted the nuts for texture and taste.
The only thing I would do differently next time is grind the chocolate chips somewhat (we don't have mini-chips for Pesach here AFAIK). Some, but not all of the chips sunk to the bottom even though I sprinkled them on top of the cake and did not mix them in.
I baked the cake for 45 minutes btw.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics