Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Are museum/park memberships worth it?
Previous  1  2  3

seeker

Post Tue, Apr 26 2016, 2:32 am
ID NYC is free. I don't think it is for children, though.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Tue, Apr 26 2016, 8:19 am
seeker wrote:
ID NYC is not only veterans but it no longer includes family admissions Sad
If I would have known that was changing, I would have applied sooner. It was so unclear. Apparently last year you could get family memberships using the adult's NYC ID, now only the person on the card gets in free. I guess that's still somewhat helpful but not enough for expensive places like the Zoo and Hall of Science (which I think has reciprocal membership too, so I was really planning to live it up...)

AFAIK, I applied for a NYC ID card as soon as it was available, but it did not include a family membership. In fact, it was not worth it for me to shlep for two hours on the train to the Bronx Zoo to activate a membership at the participating WCS zoos if the membership would not be useful for me, since it would exclude my children.

For the first time in many years, I did not get a Cool Culture card. I contacted them about the possibility of purchasing one, but they said it's only available through participating institutions.

Does anyone have an answer to my question: which (if any) of the ASTC NYC institutions waive the distance criteria?

cnc

Post Tue, Apr 26 2016, 8:34 am
etg wrote:
The Cool Culture pass is only for low-income families, but if you get accepted, it will give you entrance to hundreds of parks and museums. Definitely worth mentioning...

Cool culture card is not only for low income families.
I've gotten it when my child was on head start (not due to low income)

momx6

Post Tue, Apr 26 2016, 8:41 am
As far as I know if you go to the Hall of Science with a New York City ID card then you can get a membership for the Hall of Science for the family. I plan on using this to get into the Franklin Institute because it is more than 90 miles away from Brooklyn.

groisamomma

Post Tue, Apr 26 2016, 10:51 am
Our annual Six Flags and Hurricane Harbor membership pays for itself many, many times over.

ruchelbuckle

Post Tue, Apr 26 2016, 12:18 pm
Amelia: I am not clear on the regulations. I think if you go to a museum that is 90 miles from your membership museum, you should get the reciprocal discount, regardless of why it says on your iD/license. I know that I used to have a membership to Chicago children's museum, even though I didn't live in that area. I would get into my local science museum without any issues--- they oils sky for my iD only to check that I am who I said I am.

Also, note that each museum HS their on policies/--- some will let you in for free, others will let you in half price.

gp2.0

Post Tue, Apr 26 2016, 8:19 pm
We did a liberty science center membership one year. It definitely pays for itself as long as you go twice in one year (easy to do with sukkos and pesach) and it motivates you to go more often because each additional time is free. They also have reciprocal visiting days with local museums (we did the Brooklyn Children's Museum a few times) and we also used it to go to museums out of state that were 90 miles away.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics