Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Help me understand chol hamoed
Previous  1  2

Seas

Post Mon, Apr 25 2016, 7:49 pm
I once heard a shiur explaining the exact definitions however I can't remember it. One thing I do know which can shed light on some issues is that there's no muktzah on ch"m.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Apr 25 2016, 7:52 pm
As far as I know, youre allowed to wash laundry for young children. There's no way their yomtov clothes can stay clean from the first half of yomtov to the 2nd half of yomtov, and no, I dont have 8 or more sets of underwear for them. I also was told that once you already made a load for your kids, youre allowed to throw in your own clothes IF YOU DONT HAVE ANY LEFT for the rest of hyomtov.

MitzadSheini

Post Mon, Apr 25 2016, 7:58 pm
Ok.... Here is some dramatic irony for you.... I have also been told that laundry for small kids is not a problem. However I JUST discovered that my darling dh, trying to be helpful (and forgetting the halacha) has put on a massive load of all the washing. So big that the the machine got stuck and has to be split into two loads. On is washed, one just wet.... And now I have to deal with it all.

Previous comment about washing not being a tircha hereby withdrawn Wink

cnc

Post Mon, Apr 25 2016, 8:17 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
As far as I know, youre allowed to wash laundry for young children. There's no way their yomtov clothes can stay clean from the first half of yomtov to the 2nd half of yomtov, and no, I dont have 8 or more sets of underwear for them. I also was told that once you already made a load for your kids, youre allowed to throw in your own clothes IF YOU DONT HAVE ANY LEFT for the rest of hyomtov.

I was told the same.

Another mom

Post Tue, Apr 26 2016, 5:20 pm
amother wrote:
So your saying that putting my kid on a merry go round is tzorech yom tov whereas washing her socks is not, correct?

If she has enough socks for the whole Pesach you can't wash them (melacha) but if she needs, you can.
Both amusement park and needed clean socks are "Tzorech Hamoed"

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Apr 26 2016, 5:32 pm
What about if the idea of letting laundry pile up until Sunday is extremely distressing to me whereas if I do it chol hamoed my cleaning lady will help me do it?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Apr 26 2016, 5:36 pm
Another mom wrote:
If she has enough socks for the whole Pesach you can't wash them (melacha) but if she needs, you can.
Both amusement park and needed clean socks are "Tzorech Hamoed"

That's what I'm not getting. Going on rides in an amusement park is tzorech yom tov. But washing my daughters favorite socks is not permitted unless we are in a situation where we have no socks. Why is one inherently muter and the other inherently assur?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Apr 26 2016, 6:06 pm
x

Last edited by ra_mom on Tue, Apr 26 2016, 11:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

little_mage

Post Tue, Apr 26 2016, 9:14 pm
I thought that it was better not to do it because it can wait. That being said, we cloth diaper. You bet I'm doing laundry on Chol Hamoed, because I don't have enough diapers to go a week. I like to knit/sew/embroider, and I was taught that unless it's for something you need immediately, you aren't supposed to do those sorts of things on Chol Hamoed either.

marina

Post Tue, Apr 26 2016, 11:40 pm
amother wrote:
That's what I'm not getting. Going on rides in an amusement park is tzorech yom tov. But washing my daughters favorite socks is not permitted unless we are in a situation where we have no socks. Why is one inherently muter and the other inherently assur?

because laundry is considered "work" and amusement parks are not.

If you would like a heter for your personal situation, plse message me and I will pasken for your from the Shulchan Aruch HaMarina. For only four payments of 19.99 each, as seen on TV.

No pressure.

miami85

Post Wed, Apr 27 2016, 12:01 am
In general you are not supposed to do menial tasks so that you get to do fun things and spend time with your family as opposed to mending, sewing and laundry. if its for children and tzarich than you are allowed to wash your clothes

youngishbear

Post Wed, Apr 27 2016, 12:32 am
marina wrote:
because laundry is considered "work" and amusement parks are not.

If you would like a heter for your personal situation, plse message me and I will pasken for your from the Shulchan Aruch HaMarina. For only four payments of 19.99 each, as seen on TV.

No pressure.

And why do amusement parks become work come Saturday?

Does your heter system include the Dumbledore Philosophy DVD as a bonus freebie? (I don't have a TV so forgive me if you mentioned it in the infomercial.)

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Apr 27 2016, 8:38 am
youngishbear wrote:
And why do amusement parks become work come Saturday?

Does your heter system include the Dumbledore Philosophy DVD as a bonus freebie? (I don't have a TV so forgive me if you mentioned it in the infomercial.)

Beard, payos, big kappel. Reliable posek, IMO.
Seriously, OP, it sounds like you're burnt out. I don't know if you'll be able to have any Calgon moments this chol hamoed. And you may need to put away that new Binah or Mishpacha so the baby won't destroy it and you may not even get to it this yom tov. Try to plan some sort of pampering for yourself next week so you can regroup.
And try to enjoy yom tov. It is nice to see our kids having fun.

observer

Post Wed, Apr 27 2016, 10:20 am
I don't even get the question. Who says all melacha is forbidden? It's not shabbos or yom tov. It's chol hamoed. What does that literally mean? The chol of the moed, the regular day, so to speak, of the yom tov. So obviously it doesn't carry the same restrictions as the yom tov days themselves.

That said, these days are still holier than regular days, so we don't do "work" unless we have to. Going to an amusement park is enjoyable. Doing laundry is work. If we have to do work, we do. But it's preferable to avoid doing work and do more enjoyable things.

That doesn't mean that all melacha is prohibited.

goodmorning

Post Wed, Apr 27 2016, 12:01 pm
amother wrote:

In theory, they'd both be muttar l'tzorech hamoed. But as someone pointed out on the previous page, Chazal deliberately forbade doing laundry on Ch"m -- even l'tzorech hamoed - so that people would not come to wait until Ch"m to do laundry and enter into YT (the first days) with dirty clothing, thus not giving proper kavod to YT. By forbidding laundry on Ch"m, Chazal forced everyone to do it before YT begins, and starting YT with clean clothing.

Chazal did not include little children's clothing in this g'zeira, since they get dirtied so quickly.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics