Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Yapsuk for Shabbos pesach

tichellady

Post Wed, Apr 27 2016, 11:44 am
I have a crockpot but I'm not sure if it will work to make the potato kugel mixture on Thursday and leave it in the fridge until Friday afternoon- anyone have experience with this? Friday is yomtov so I don't see how I could make the mixture on Friday because I usually use a food processor

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Apr 27 2016, 12:01 pm
I'll be following this. I made it today, and will not cook all day, just till done. Then I plan to put it in the crockpot erev Shabbos. I made it in a deep pan lined with parchment paper. I'll take off the parchment paper, slice, reline, and cover. My concern is, will it dry out in the crockpot?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 27 2016, 12:13 pm
You can either use a hand grater on yom tov to prepare it before shabbos. Or you can shred erev yom tov and though the potatoes will turn black, they usually turn dark brown anyway as the yapsuk cooks. Red potatoes or similar will not turn that brown btw.

tichellady

Post Wed, Apr 27 2016, 1:02 pm
Thank you. I will make the batter tomorrow and see what happens. Do you cut down on the oil in your recipe because of the meat? My friend told me she uses her regular potato kugel recipe and adds meat but I am thinking of reducing the oil- any thoughts? Also should I reduce the salt because the meat is salty?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 27 2016, 1:47 pm
tichellady wrote:
Thank you. I will make the batter tomorrow and see what happens. Do you cut down on the oil in your recipe because of the meat? My friend told me she uses her regular potato kugel recipe and adds meat but I am thinking of reducing the oil- any thoughts? Also should I reduce the salt because the meat is salty?

Potato kugel cholent is great but real authentic Polish cholent yapsuk is awesome.
realeez taught me how to make it like my aunt, who always just told me I don't know how I do it, just potatoes and onions Wink
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....art=0
Here's a nice potato kugel cholent.
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....84206

tichellady

Post Wed, Apr 27 2016, 4:26 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Potato kugel cholent is great but real authentic Polish cholent yapsuk is awesome.
realeez taught me how to make it like my aunt, who always just told me I don't know how I do it, just potatoes and onions Wink
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....art=0
Here's a nice potato kugel cholent.
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....84206

How do I choose between the two?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 27 2016, 4:54 pm
tichellady wrote:
How do I choose between the two?

Yapsuk becomes very dark brown creamy and delicous. Our fave.

nicole81

Post Wed, Apr 27 2016, 5:15 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Yapsuk becomes very dark brown creamy and delicous. Our fave.

what's the ratio of potatoes to onions?

I made mine last week with potato kugel and it was good, but I'm looking to try something new.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 27 2016, 5:23 pm
nicole81 wrote:
what's the ratio of potatoes to onions?

I made mine last week with potato kugel and it was good, but I'm looking to try something new.

About 1 medium onion (not large) to 3 large russet / idaho potatoes.

saralem

Post Wed, Apr 27 2016, 6:26 pm
Here's what we did one year. We prepared potato kugel mixture and put it into 2 round foil pans (well greased) that exactly fit my crockpot. I froze them raw and they stayed nice and white. Then on Erev Shabbos I put one kugel on the bottom of the crockpot then meat next and the second kugel on top. A bit of oil and water. It was sooooo good.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus