Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
How do you deal with 3 kids in public?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Apr 27 2016, 5:04 pm
I recently had my third baby and haven't yet gone anywhere with all 3 by myself. We either go places when Dh is around or not at all. I'm starting to get depressed from never going anywhere. I just get so anxious thinking about keeping track of everyone when out and about. I have an exuberant toddler who can take off at any second and a spacey preschooler with a tendency to wander off. What do I do if the toddler melts down and has to be dragged off to a quiet corner and dealt with? What if the baby needs to nurse, how do I make sure no one runs/wanders off? It's so anxiety producing, I just feel better staying home. I'm feeling particularly terrible that we haven't done anything for Chol hamoed because of this. Dh does not have off, so it's just me and we're just hanging around the house and all going mad. And I feel like what's wrong with me, I'm not the first person in the world to have 3 kids, nor to have a working spouse, and it can't be that everyone else in my situation just stays home. So how do you do it? I need to figure this out.

mha3484

Post Wed, Apr 27 2016, 5:17 pm
Do they sit in the stroller? I would use a double and wear the baby.

When I was getting used to two we did a lot of indoor play areas that you can sit while the kids play.

SingALong

Post Wed, Apr 27 2016, 5:21 pm
Double stroller. And possibly a platform for preschooler to stand on. Then go to a small park nearby that's fenced in or far from the road. Bring a pumped bottle for newborn or nurse right before leaving.
Pack a bag of snacks/drinks and make sure preschooler uses bathroom right before leaving.
If you have a front porch you can sit out with kids with bubbles and chalk. Unless you live by a busy street.

Leaving for just an hour can do wonders for the kids and yourself. It doesn't need to be a major trip, just fresh air and change of scenery.

mha3484

Post Wed, Apr 27 2016, 5:35 pm
Your children's temperament plays a big role also. My 18 month old is super chill. He is happy in the stroller looking around and taking in the scenery so we do museums, the zoo, the legostore. My older child who is 5 was not like that at all. He wanted to run wild all over every attraction we went to. When he was little we only went places that were enclosed.

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Apr 27 2016, 5:55 pm
Its an adjustment that's for sure. When my baby was a couple months old I started going out to parks for an hour or so to help me adjust to it. My oldest (then not yet 4) is more impulsive all over and my middle one was the dwadler. I still don't like taking them shopping or anywhere I have time pressure without dh but I'm OK going on not to long outings with them. I usually give a treat for good behavior that I can use as a bribe during the outing and try to be as prepared as possible (pack a diaper bag with snacks and what not the night before so its ready to go) being caged up in the house is the worst. A trip out does so much for children and mother.

Hatzlocha!!

flowerpower

Post Wed, Apr 27 2016, 10:52 pm
Double strollers works great. I have gone many times with more than three kids. Just pack beforehand food, wipes, bottle etc....

imaima

Post Thu, Apr 28 2016, 1:15 am
Go out with your friends who have kids similar age, so the kids would hold on to each other and other moms would watch out for your kids.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Apr 28 2016, 1:20 am
imaima wrote:
Go out with your friends who have kids similar age, so the kids would hold on to each other and other moms would watch out for your kids.

On a similar note, I don't have a car, and often need to get a lift to the grocery store. I am always happy to distract and supervise the more wiggly kids, so their mom can get her shopping done at the same time. My kiddo is a teen now, so looking after the younger ones gives me a boost of "little kid energy", and everyone wins. Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics