Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
How are there gentiles after the splitting of the sea?
Previous  1  2

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Apr 27 2016, 8:29 am
DrMom wrote:
Yeah, I know. But they are midrashim...

And there's Az Yashir. I don't know if they heard in China but they heard in Moav, Pleshes, Canaan, etc.

greenfire

Post Wed, Apr 27 2016, 9:52 am
are you confused with the mabul ?

god didn't kill out the entire world ... just those who were aiming to enslave the jews once again I.e. paroh & the egyptians

Aylat

Post Wed, Apr 27 2016, 2:56 pm
Amalek. See the rashi in Beshalach. The world was in awe of everything Gd had done for the Jews and Amalek 'karcha baderech' = 'happened on the way' =cooled them off (kar/cold). They are compared to someone who jumped into a hot bath and got burned but cooled it off for everyone else. Their attack, even though unsuccessful, removed the glow of invincibility the Jews had after yetziat Mitzrayim and tarnished the awe the nations had been feeling.

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Apr 27 2016, 6:22 pm
amother wrote:
I have friends who are gentiles. shock They have told me they consider themselves religious because they go to church once a week. They have one family dinner a year for each holiday. That's the extent of their religion. They can go anyplace on sundays and do anything. How is that ignorant?

There is no one Xtianity; the different denominations are much more different even than Orthodox and Reform. For example, Catholicism and Southern Baptists are so different they might not even seem like the same religion. There are those xtian groups that have strict rules to live by like the Jehovah's Witnesses, and ones that don't. Ones that consider religion more of a personal rather than communal thing (the church once a week crowd that includes my family, for example), and ones that don't. And aren't gentiles not supposed to keep Shabbat? So who cares if they can do anything on Sunday (and actually, some have rules about not doing work).

amother wrote:
As a side point, they do believe that the Holocaust happened to us for not accepting Yoshkie.

The vast majority do not and consider anyone who would say that to be horrible people. I'd imagine it only from hardcore traditional Catholics and far-right evangelical fundamentalists.

-- Signed, former xtian that does not appreciate friends and family being slandered

Butterfly

Post Wed, Apr 27 2016, 7:15 pm
amother wrote:
Op have you ever went to an inspiring speech and left on a high with plans of how to do better.... And then been back to where you were by the next day?

Same thing.

Also it could be I'm totally remembering incorrectly.... But I think I remember learning that yisro did not in fact convert but did join beni Yisroel for mattan Torah, give Moshe his advice re mishpatim and then go back to where he came from to keep the mitzvos beni noach. Could be I'm totally mixing it up with something else of course.

AFAIK, Yisro converted to Judaism during the time of kabalat hatorah (there is some conflict about the exact timing) and remained a ger tzedek for the rest of his life.

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Apr 27 2016, 7:46 pm
Butterfly wrote:
AFAIK, Yisro converted to Judaism during the time of kabalat hatorah (there is some conflict about the exact timing) and remained a ger tzedek for the rest of his life.
I remembered learning that Yisro left beni Yisroel. So I looked it up. He did convert but also did leave and not travel thru the midbar to e"y with beni Yisroel.

Raisin

Post Thu, Apr 28 2016, 6:41 am
I'm not sure why people think there are no rules for Christians. A catholic is not allowed to get divorced or use birth control, except for the NFP method. (some other xtian groups also don't allow divorce or bc) For a period of time every year before Easter xtians don't eat certain foods that are considered luxorious. (meat, eggs etc) I just met someone who kept this - I think she was orthodox Xtian. I'm sure there are tons of other rules we don't know about, but just think about it - every single religious catholic who gets divorced is effectively an aguna.

Some xtians also have very strict rules about sunday being a day of rest - its not too long ago now that shops were not allowed to open on Sundays in the UK, except for Jewish shops.

Of course there many many xtians who are lax on many of these observances, just as there are many many Jews who are lax on most torah and mitzvos.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics