Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
DC won't drink milk

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Apr 25 2016, 5:35 pm
DC breastfed until about a year. She got formula once in awhile and took it nocely. But she won't drink milk. No matter how many times I offer it or what I put it into (sippy cup, bottle....) she won't drink it. She drinks other stuff, just not milk. What can I do?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Apr 25 2016, 5:47 pm
My kids Dr, a very very well known well liked and experienced Dr in boro park, told me once it's perfectly fine. As long as my child gets calcium from other foods that contain calcium I'm OK. She said that the milk today is not what it used to be.

justforfun87

Post Mon, Apr 25 2016, 5:48 pm
It isn't a big deal. I never gave my kids milk after 1. She can make up for the calcium/protein in other ways such as yogurt, cheese, orange juice, broccoli...etc.

The Happy Wife

Post Mon, Apr 25 2016, 5:49 pm
Some kids just don't like milk. Does she eat other dairy, like cheese and yogurt? As long as she's getting calcium and fat from another source she doesn't need to drink milk.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Apr 25 2016, 6:13 pm
amother wrote:
DC breastfed until about a year. She got formula once in awhile and took it nocely. But she won't drink milk. No matter how many times I offer it or what I put it into (sippy cup, bottle....) she won't drink it. She drinks other stuff, just not milk. What can I do?

Children are not baby cows, cows milk is not something they need. Many children grow up without out cows milk or any milk besides that of a mothers

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Apr 25 2016, 6:49 pm
Nothing to worry about. Dairy is not good for most people anyway.

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Apr 25 2016, 10:16 pm
Thanks all.
She eats yogurts and some hard cheeses and drinks lots of diluted Apple juice.

SRB

Post Mon, Apr 25 2016, 10:48 pm
My DS also won't drink plain cow milk so I disguise it - I make chocolate milk, mix orange juice with it and make smoothies. Today I put in the blender milk, oj, frozen mango, flax seed - he LOVED it! I most often give him almond milk (but not this week).

little_mage

Post Tue, Apr 26 2016, 2:43 am
Neither of my children drink milk. They eat it in cereal, and they adore cheese. My daughter eats plenty of yogurt as well, and while my son eats less, he still eats it. While I don't think dairy is bad, as other posters have stated, there is no need for them to be drinking milk because they're getting what they need from milk from the other dairy that they eat.

Raisin

Post Tue, Apr 26 2016, 3:15 am
amother wrote:
Thanks all.
She eats yogurts and some hard cheeses and drinks lots of diluted Apple juice.

Even if its very diluted, its probably best to get her used to plain water. Fruit juice is mostly empty calories and bad for teeth.

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Apr 26 2016, 7:12 am
What's the big deal? My son is allergic to milk. I make sure to give him cheese, Greek yogurt, 1 cup of oj fortified with calcium and vitamin d, and a supplement. He gets plenty of calcium and vitamin d that way. (Other than 1 cup of oj, he only drinks water. I think that's great!)

piece

Post Wed, Apr 27 2016, 6:57 am
almond milk I think even has more calcium than cows milk.
you can definitely get calcium & Vitamin D from other source of foods.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Apr 27 2016, 7:44 am
DD was lactose intolerant until she was almost 10. She couldn't have dairy of any kind, or she'd be in a non stop tantrum until it wore off, or she passed out, whichever came first.

We did fortified almond and rice milk (never soy!), and I made sure that she got lots of calcium and vitamins from other foods to make up for it. She almost never got juice, either. To this day, she's very good about drinking lots of water, and knows that juice or soda is a once in a month kind of treat, if that. We never keep junk drinks in the house, but I'll let her order one if we're in a restaurant.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Apr 28 2016, 7:10 am
I'm not American so bear it in mind Wink
I consider milk very important (unless you're intolerant - my mom is very intolerant to bananas, are they unhealty?), but yoghurt, chocolate milk, syrup milk, condensed milk, cheese, kiri... is just the same.

The natural crowd here swears by soy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics