Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
What to do for shabbos lunch

Chippies

Post Wed, Apr 27 2016, 8:27 pm
I've never actually cooked on yom tov before. This year will be the first year that we're home for a for shabbos that immediately follows yom tov. I typically make yapsuk on pesach, but I'm trying to figure out what the best way would be to make it. Do I prepare everything erev yom tov and then throw it in the slow cooker on Friday morning (I guess I would leave the slow cooker on low)? Is there a way I could have it cooking before yom tov starts or would it just burn/dry out? What do other people do?

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Apr 27 2016, 8:32 pm
Why not just make something else?

Chippies

Post Wed, Apr 27 2016, 8:41 pm
That's also an option that I'm considering, but I'd still like to know what others do Smile

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Apr 27 2016, 8:46 pm
We usually make an overnight vegetable beef stew - beef, potatoes, squash, carrots, onions, etc, sometimes with chicken soup broth...

It comes out delicious.

ttbtbm

Post Wed, Apr 27 2016, 8:47 pm
I bake mine in a pan before Tom tov. On Friday will put in a 325 oven overnight.

chayamiriam

Post Wed, Apr 27 2016, 9:08 pm
Do u have a receipe for the overnight beef stew sounds wonderful?

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Apr 27 2016, 9:12 pm
I make
Yapchik
Turn crock pot on low before Yom Tov.
I shred potatoes in a food processor on Thursday and soak. On Friday drain the potatoes.
Or you can just peel and cut up some potatoes on Friday.
Mix with chopped onion. Line the crock pot with parchment paper.
Put cholent meat (I use lamb neck) on the bottom.
Top with the potato-onion mix.

Mevater

Post Wed, Apr 27 2016, 10:18 pm
How about if I want to make Yapchik, for Shabbos, which comes out on the 2nd day of Yom Tov, and Erev Yom Tov (the day before Erev Shabbos) Id make the potato kugel mixture, and freeze it, and then the next day, Erev Shabbos, Id put it in the crockpot, either frozen or defrosted?

Chippies

Post Thu, Apr 28 2016, 7:32 am
Quote:
How about if I want to make Yapchik, for Shabbos, which comes out on the 2nd day of Yom Tov, and Erev Yom Tov (the day before Erev Shabbos) Id make the potato kugel mixture, and freeze it, and then the next day, Erev Shabbos, Id put it in the crockpot, either frozen or defrosted?

So this is exactly what I'm trying to figure out. I think I decided to just make the potato kugel mixture and right before yom tov starts and leave it in a bowl in the fridge, but freezing it is another idea. But I plan to leave my slow cooker on low, so I wonder if it would cook enough if the kugel starts out frozen. I think I'll stick to my plan.

mha3484

Post Thu, Apr 28 2016, 7:34 am
I am making pulled beef in the crockpot. I made lamb stew last week.

sky

Post Thu, Apr 28 2016, 7:45 am
I'm leaving my oven at 250 for the last days.

I already put together a cholent in my fridge without the meat and Friday morning will add meat and Khishka and cover tightly and stick in the oven until shabbos morning.

I peeled potatoes and covered in water. Friday morning will hand grate and layer with meat for a yapchik and place in covered pan in oven until shabbos morning. I find yapchik is good fresh (and my family typically doesn't like leftovers).
(I like @RubberyDucky idea of shredding and leaving in water, I may just try that).

I place a sheet pan under the cholent and yapchik in my oven. In the past I've had issues with it overflowing and smoking or even flames. The pan catches the mess and lets me cook the food safely.

We will also have lots of salads and apple kugel.

salamanca

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 8:50 am
I have a question for those who shred/grate their potatoes for the chulent on Pesach, whether you do it in advance and soak them overnight, or do it right before putting up the chulent: do you squeeze the shredded potatoes well before adding them to the crockpot? Also, I don't think you can use a colander on Yom Tov, so if you do it in advance, how do you effectively drain out the water? Thanks!

Oh also, for those who grate in advance, do the potatoes have to be refrigerated or can they remain at room temperature in the water?

hello 1

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 9:02 am
I freeze my yaptzik.
Make potato kugel mixture.
Pour 1/2 in 9x13.
Later boneless flanken or thin meat. Layer the rest imof the kugel. Bake a little over an hr.
Cool and freeze.
On Friday before shabbos I put a cup of water directly on the yaptik, cover tightly with foil and put Imin oven Overnight on 225.
Is delicious!

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 9:10 am
One shabbos we will do yapsuk (maybe the one where erev YT is Friday). And the second shabbos we'll do potato kugel cholent. I expect to cook it on high for 2 hours on Thursday erev YT, then refrigerate, and put it in the crockpot set to low on Friday afternoon, the first day of YT.

salamanca

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 9:19 am
ra_mom wrote:
One shabbos we will do yapsuk (maybe the one where erev YT is Friday). And the second shabbos we'll do potato kugel cholent. I expect to cook it on high for 2 hours on Thursday erev YT, then refrigerate, and put it in the crockpot set to low on Friday afternoon, the first day of YT.

Thanks. I'm not so keen on cooling off and refrigerating an 8 qt crock, so I'll be doing all the cooking on Friday. Can you tell me if you squeeze out the water from the grated potatoes or do you purposely leave in as much as they can hold?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 9:23 am
salamanca wrote:
Thanks. I'm not so keen on cooling off and refrigerating an 8 qt crock, so I'll be doing all the cooking on Friday. Can you tell me if you squeeze out the water from the grated potatoes or do you purposely leave in as much as they can hold?

I don't squeeze out any liquid.

Ome year I did yapsuk by peeling on Thursday, then placing them in a big container of water in the fridge. On Friday everyone had to hand grate a potato until we were done. Smile Then I put it up fresh.

salamanca

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 9:28 am
thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics