Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Need help with non pickled corn beef

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Apr 27 2016, 11:13 pm
My in-laws bought us meat for Pesach. I'm not sure where they got it, it was packaged, had the hechsher, but no meat name or weight or anything like that. My mil told me that one meat was pickled corn beef, so I baked it accordingly. I didn't add anything to it, just baked it on 325, then poured off the sauce and sliced it. I usually keep half plain and add a sauce of ketchup, brown sugar and orange juice to the rest when I rewarm it.

When I was slicing it I realized that it didn't smell pickled, so I tasted it. Definitely not pickled and not only that, because I didn't add anything to it, it didn't have much of a taste. What can I add to it so that it will taste good? We eat almost all Pesach products, no kitniyos or gebrochts. Thanks.

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Apr 27 2016, 11:19 pm
amother wrote:
My in-laws bought us meat for Pesach. I'm not sure where they got it, it was packaged, had the hechsher, but no meat name or weight or anything like that. My mil told me that one meat was pickled corn beef, so I baked it accordingly. I didn't add anything to it, just baked it on 325, then poured off the sauce and sliced it. I usually keep half plain and add a sauce of ketchup, brown sugar and orange juice to the rest when I rewarm it.

When I was slicing it I realized that it didn't smell pickled, so I tasted it. Definitely not pickled and not only that, because I didn't add anything to it, it didn't have much of a taste. What can I add to it so that it will taste good? We eat almost all Pesach products, no kitniyos or gebrochts. Thanks.

Slice it and put it in sauce to heat up.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 27 2016, 11:23 pm
Refrigerate the roast. Slice it once cold. Combine the liquid from baking the roast with a sauce and put the slices slices in there. Let sit in the sauce in the refrigerator and then reheat all together.
You can do 1 part brown sugar, 2 parts ketchup, orange juice or vinegar, onion and garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Apr 27 2016, 11:31 pm
andrea levy wrote:
Slice it and put it in sauce to heat up.

Thanks. I don't know what kind of sauce to use.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Apr 27 2016, 11:33 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Refrigerate the roast. Slice it once cold. Combine the liquid from baking the roast with a sauce and put the slices slices in there. Let sit in the sauce in the refrigerator and then reheat all together.
You can do 1 part brown sugar, 2 parts ketchup, orange juice or vinegar, onion and garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste.

Thanks, I usually do the brown sugar, ketchup, orange juice sauce for pickled corn beef. Would it be good on non pickled too?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 28 2016, 10:37 am
amother wrote:
Thanks, I usually do the brown sugar, ketchup, orange juice sauce for pickled corn beef. Would it be good on non pickled too?

Yes. I use it for roast beef.
Or you can make a faux teriyaki sauce or homemade duck sauce to drizzle on top.

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Apr 28 2016, 11:43 am
ra_mom wrote:
Yes. I use it for roast beef.
Or you can make a faux teriyaki sauce or homemade duck sauce to drizzle on top.

Thanks so much. I guess I'll go with that one then, it's usually easier to make something I already know they like.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics