Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Stove for pesach: time sensitive asap

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Apr 28 2016, 11:23 am
How do you kasher and cover your stove for pesach?
Do you just cover it? Do you kasher it? I mean I'm afraid that water will damage it.
Thanks

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 28 2016, 11:26 am
you don't use water ... you use heat

then again it all depends on the type of oven you have as to what method you use ... but gas & water do not mix

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Apr 28 2016, 12:30 pm
Check the Star-K, OU, and CRC websites. I'm not a rabbi nor have I ever played one on TV, so please don't just do what we do. However, I provide the following info to give you an idea of what you might find on the above-mentioned websites:

Clean it as well as you can. We have sealed burners (NOT a flat top, but a gas stove) with grates on top. We cover the stove top with foil, leaving the stuff that goes under the grates exposed.
We put the oven on self clean and have successfully put the grates in the oven. I don't recommend it because I don't know the materials of your grates. Clean as well as possible, spray with 409 or windex and rinse and you should be safe.
Then, we fill a big pot with water, and let it come to a boil on each of the grates and keep at a boil for a few minutes. The pot should be big enough to cover the grate (it's one at a time).

We pop off the knobs that control each of the burners, clean and windex.
We have a microwave over the oven and cover the fan. I cannot vouch for the safety but we do this because of Pesach.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 28 2016, 1:26 pm
Stove top needs to be washed well and covered with foil once clean. Make holes for burners. But back cannot be covered as it can cause explosion of vents are blocked in any way c"v.
Grates need to be kashered by putting them in clean oven, turning to highest temperature setting, and heating for 1 hour. (check it the grates have rubber feet. If they do you don't want to kasher use them for Pesach as they will be ruined forever and scratch your stove top. If they don't have rubber feet the finish may still get slightly ruined.)
Use as usual.
Good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics