Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Emotional about upsherin

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Apr 12 2016, 1:57 am
I have such mixed emotions about my sons upcoming first haircut. I'm excited about this big milestone. Otoh, I'm getting all emotional about his image change and what that means for him and me. To the point of tears. Hes so excited for his new yarmulke and tzitzis. But He's so little to look in the mirror and see a new face look back! He has to get used to a new person when in reality he's still my baby boy. Anyone else feel like this?

finprof

Post Tue, Apr 12 2016, 2:43 am
Yep, totally normal.

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Apr 12 2016, 2:24 pm
I mlade a pony tail on my son with a very strong band cut that off first before the haircut, and then sprayed it very well. I put it in a bag, and 8 years later I still take it out from time to time just to 'remember my baby' . My son also gets a kick out of looking at it.

greenfire

Post Tue, Apr 12 2016, 2:45 pm
milestones are always emotional ~ but they are also good

mazel tov !!! לחיים

observer

Post Tue, Apr 12 2016, 3:03 pm
amother wrote:
I mlade a pony tail on my son with a very strong band cut that off first before the haircut, and then sprayed it very well. I put it in a bag, and 8 years later I still take it out from time to time just to 'remember my baby' . My son also gets a kick out of looking at it.

sprayed it with what?

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Apr 12 2016, 3:32 pm
Hair spray

justmarried

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 12:47 am
amother wrote:

I also saved the ponytail. It's only 4 years old, but is still in good condition even without hairspray.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 9:28 am
We keep all upshern hair, my boys had beautfull long hair and I was very emotional to cut it off, I made 4 pony tails, for the peyos, top of the head and back of the head and we used the haircut machine so all of the hair are saved nicely.
I also have dh's ponytail from his upshern, still in pretty good condition, and I kept my ponytail from my upshern 😄 the morning after my wedding, I see them once a year when I pesach clean, it stops me from what I am doing and It brings up all the memories.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 9:34 am
All milestones are bittersweet and emotional. Why do you think people cry at weddings?

First steps, first words, potty training, first day at cheder, high school graduation...

Just wait until you see your first grandchild (IYH)!

Enjoy it all, and honor your emotions. Hug

Ruchel

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 2:37 pm
You can give the weight of hair in silver or gold to tzedaka/schools.

I'm the type who laughs and doesn't feel teary at all on milestones. I look forward and they are purely positive to me.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 2:42 pm
Being a mother of 4 boys I know the feeling...the hardest part is adjusting the kids sudden "acting out"...they were so confused that they were just not acting themselves until they got used to it...it's just a phase though..it passes quickly...now some of those upsherin boys are already taller than me and THAT freaks me out, cuz I'm 6 feet tall!

sara40

Post Thu, Apr 28 2016, 8:59 am
I had same fear. Once the hair is off and it's replaced by this new angelic look it's adorable. I couldn't get enough of looking at him and he was SO PROUD. I've had two upsherins by and another one soon. Don't worry, he is your same tummy little boy even with the yarmulke.

musicmom

Post Thu, Apr 28 2016, 2:15 pm
I can totally relate.

I became emotional and took so many pictures that month leading up to it and my son became a little overwhelmed. When we went to a Rebbe to get a bracha and they wanted him to read Hebrew letters and serve him silver platters full of cake and candy and treats he became a lot overwhelmed and started to baby talk. When DH wrapped him in the tallis for the haircut and again to start school he definitely panicked.

Here is what I am going to do differently with the next son: Keep more of my emotional side to myself and read kid books to him about it so he can see the pictures and know what to expect.

Talk about the feelings after you don't have that ponytail anymore and what to expect in advance.

I am glad I took such gorgeous pictures, I felt this is my last chance with long hair! But set a date or two and keep it two a minimum, to ease the transition for him.

Good luck!

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Apr 28 2016, 2:24 pm
Op here. Bh the upsherin was beautiful! Because it was so close to pesach we shaved the hair and went to cheder. No big party at home. It was beautiful and meaningful. I was able to focus on him and not on entertaining. It isn't my first boy so I was ok with no party. He looks gorgeous bh.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers