Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
4 month baby on airplane is safe?
1  2  Next

Water Stones

Post Wed, Apr 27 2016, 8:41 pm
My husband and me can go to visit my family on July for 7. 5 hours on the airplane. Our baby daughter will be 4 months.

The pediatrican says its ok and advice us how to do it like nursing for take off and landing and basinet and some more.

Did you take an infant baby so young on the long airplane flight? I am reading that too young but we are going because my husband got the tickets for us. But my reading make me a little bit nervous for safety. Thank you!

workaholicmama

Post Wed, Apr 27 2016, 9:39 pm
We did it many times and lived to tell the tale😃 other than trying to feed while takeoff and landing, be prepared to not sleep too much, but otherwise will iyh be fine. (Easier than toddlers or older kids😃)Enjoy!!!

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Apr 27 2016, 11:15 pm
My cousin's 4 month old baby did of sids on an airplane. A cross Atlantic trip. While nursing. Nursing is one if those things that actually lessens the risk if sids, so from this I'd say that since many babies survive flying, breastfed or not, when it's your time, it's your time. The baby likely would have died if sids regardless. Not a reason not to fly and not a reason not to breastfeed. Live your life.

mha3484

Post Wed, Apr 27 2016, 11:24 pm
I get a little worried about germs so with a baby that young I would probably wear the baby in the airport and keep them as far as I can from the other passengers.

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Apr 27 2016, 11:26 pm
amother wrote:
My cousin's 4 month old baby did of sids on an airplane. A cross Atlantic trip. While nursing. Nursing is one if those things that actually lessens the risk if sids, so from this I'd say that since many babies survive flying, breastfed or not, when it's your time, it's your time. The baby likely would have died if sids regardless. Not a reason not to fly and not a reason not to breastfeed. Live your life.

That's a horrible story, for your cousin and her family. I'm not sure why you chose to terrify the OP on one hand, and then tell her it's not a reason not to fly.

Water Stones

Post Wed, Apr 27 2016, 11:42 pm
amother wrote:

Oh no!!! C'V!! Wow! I will read on sids, thank you!

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Apr 27 2016, 11:49 pm
amother wrote:
That's a horrible story, for your cousin and her family. I'm not sure why you chose to terrify the OP on one hand, and then tell her it's not a reason not to fly.

I think it was a totally relevant answer. Babies die of sids in their beds. Do we tell mothers not to use cribs? Give me a break.

Water Stones

Post Thu, Apr 28 2016, 1:32 am
amother wrote:
I think it was a totally relevant answer. Babies die of sids in their beds. Do we tell mothers not to use cribs? Give me a break.

I just did sids reading. Airplane is nothing to do with sids. Nothing. I feel a sad ness to the baby who died on the airplane for sids. It is scarey to have it now on my mind. But I understand the lady told to me her truth. I will pray pray pray. I did not imagine sids. I was thinking safety like airplane "cabin pressure" and dry air and germs. Thank you.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Apr 28 2016, 1:43 am
Babies fly on airplanes all the time. If there was an epidemic of real danger, we'd be hearing about it all over the news.

Bring some hand sanitizer and wipe down the arm rests and tray tables to cut down on the germs. Use a damp washcloth to wipe baby's face, and that will give some humidity.

Before flying, if you're really worried, check with the doctor just to make sure that there are no ear infections starting. Cabin pressure can make them worse. You don't want to go on a trip and have to deal with a place where your baby is not feeling good, your regular doctor is not around, and you need antibiotics.

Don't be afraid to pester your doctor about your concerns. That's what they're there for!

sleepybeauty

Post Thu, Apr 28 2016, 1:46 am
I have flown several times with a baby. Your pediatrician gave you good advice, nursing during take off and landing helps relieve the pressure in the ears.
Enjoy your trip!

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Apr 28 2016, 2:25 am
" 4 month baby on airplane is safe?"

Yes....as long as she isn't the pilot Tongue Out

Raisin

Post Thu, Apr 28 2016, 6:12 am
yes its fine. There is always an increased risk for anyone of picking up something on the plane - in my family when someone has flu its often after a flight. So make sure you have access to good medical care where you are going. With small babies a cold can translate into RSV, but I'm not sure if that is still a risk at 4 month.

sara40

Post Thu, Apr 28 2016, 8:05 am
I traveled to London with 2 yr old and 4 month old few years back. Was not easy but manageable. I nursed baby at takeoff and landing and had a good flight all in all. Main thing is don't panic and enjoy.

littleprincess

Post Thu, Apr 28 2016, 8:34 am
I flew with my daughter when she was 6 DAYS old. She was born a week before pessach and didn't have where to be for Yom tov. Flight was totally fine.
She's 7 years old now and flew many more times

lucky14

Post Thu, Apr 28 2016, 9:19 am
we took mine when he was 2 months old. I tried to get him to suck on his pacifier during take off and landing (I read to make sure it's the whole time the plane is rising and going down- not just the one minute that it takes for it to leave and touch the ground). He slept the whole time, though he was younger and sleeping more then, and it was a shorter flight.
Everything was fine. I also asked my pediatrician and was told it was fine. I don't know what you're reading, but from the reading I did on the subject I felt pretty confident that it would not be a prob taking him on a flight.

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 28 2016, 11:11 am
the only problem babies will have is the same as adults ... the ears might pop as you take off and/or land

for this adults chew gum & babies nurse or suck on a pacifier

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 28 2016, 11:13 am
amother wrote:

sorry for your cousin's loss ...

I will agree there is NO reason whatsoever to scare a new mother ... no different than saying don't have a baby because I know someone who died during childbirth ~ gosharuni

HonesttoGod

Post Thu, Apr 28 2016, 11:15 am
I have flown with a 3 week old on a 12 hour flight.
It may not be ideal germ wise but it is perfectly safe.
Just nurse or give a pacifier during take off and landing, ask for a bassinet (call as soon as you book your tickets and then a couple times closer to the flight to confirm, also get there early to insure you get the bassinet seats).
Baby wraps are easier than strollers at this age in my opinion, my baby ktan was a life saver.

dancingqueen

Post Thu, Apr 28 2016, 2:41 pm
4 months old is a great time to fly. There are risks to everything, but if your pediatrician is ok with it then go for it. It's more ideal safety wise to get the baby a seat and use the car seat.

twogees

Post Thu, Apr 28 2016, 4:08 pm
I flew when my baby was 5.5 months and again now when he was 11.5 months. the younger the baby the better imo... also, the younger, the easier to entertain....this time when we flew, we regretted slightly not getting a seat for him since we could keep him in the car seat and not really have to deal with him jumping out of our hands....
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics