Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Sleep training in my room or move to another room?

hardworkingmommy

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 1:14 pm
So lately my 7 month stopped sleeping through the night. He'll wake up every 3 to 4 hours & will only calm down if I nurse him.
I want to teach him how to sleep through the night & I also want to move him into my kids room.
Do I sleep train him 1st in my room & then move him to kids room or sleep train him in kids room (my other kids are light sleepers but will go back to sleep nicely)?

pesek zman

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 1:23 pm
Your room. Though you may need to repeat it to an extent when you switch rooms

mha3484

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 1:43 pm
Where does he sleep? I found my baby needed a real crib with a real mattress to start sleeping 8 hr stretches. My older child sleeps very very deeply so as long as he was asleep first the crying did not wake him.

srbmom

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 2:12 pm
We moved our older DS into our room and trained the baby in the room he'd be sleeping in. I don't think you can expect to train him in one room and then move him after without there being some retraining at that point.

pesek zman

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 2:15 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Where does he sleep? I found my baby needed a real crib with a real mattress to start sleeping 8 hr stretches. My older child sleeps very very deeply so as long as he was asleep first the crying did not wake him.

My baby has slept in a pack n play every night of her 16 month old life, and has been able to maintain 12 hour stretches there. Every baby is different

mha3484

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 2:19 pm
For sure! I have had 3 babies and none have slept well in anything but a crib. I just suggest it to people who want to encourage longer stretches. For some babies it makes a difference.

hardworkingmommy

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 2:21 pm
My baby is sleeping in a crib though when I move him into the other room the crib will be bigger.

srbmom

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 3:34 pm
Also, depending on what "method" you're using to sleep train it may be harder/easier to be in the same room with the baby. Just something to take into consideration.
I think the main thing with sleep-training is routine and consistency. So decide a plan beforehand that you think will work best and try to stick with that

thunderstorm

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 3:42 pm
I have always needed to train the baby in a different room, not my own. I felt that he could smell my milk and would wake up and not cooperate with sleeping straight through because of that...

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 4:16 pm
Other room. That's what worked by all my kids. I've tried in my room and it has never worked. In another room it's never taken me more then 1-2 weeks tops.

In my room - I think they were able to smell me or something even if I blocked them from seeing me, so they would scream till I picked them up since they know I was right there.
Also I was way more likely to pick up the kid sooner since I was in the same room, as opposed to another room where I would have to get up out of bed and go to another room get them plus I didn't hear every little whimper and only would end up going there if it was real full fledged crying.

I'm always nervous about the baby waking up other kids, but in my case after the first night or so, they just get used to it and sleep through it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics