Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Long term risks GD

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 5:15 pm
I had GD with my most recent pregnancy and I heard a lot about the risks during pregnancy and birth and quite a bit about the long term risks to myself, but not much about long term risks for my child. Are there any? Is he going to be more prone to develop diabetes, as I am? Anything else to be concerned about? I plan to bring it up with the pediatrician, but that's two weeks away, and I'm interested in hearing from other GD moms.

fleetwood

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 5:22 pm
I had GD with my first child 13 yrs ago, but not with my 10 yr old. I never had any issues with my sugar after that and neither has my daughter.

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 8:15 pm
If you have GD, you have insulin resistance or prediabetes. That means you are more likely to become diabetic. Since this in large part genetic- your child is also at a greater risk- unless you make diet and lifestyle changes.

There is also some early research that the hormones you pass on to your child through breastmilk can also predispose them to diabetes.

In my experience your ped will probably dismiss it because Western doctors prefer to medicate and diagnose instead of actively preventing disease.

Fleetwood- the reason your sugar is ok is probably because your insulin is overcompensating to keep it lowered. If you'd take a 3hr GTT with corresponding insulin draws you'd see the high-low-high sugar swing.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 8:36 pm
Thank you, burgundy. The GD was entirely diet controlled and 6 week pp test confirmed its gone- though obviously I'm at risk in future pregnancies and I know I'm at risk of type 2 as well. I have actually remained on the diet even though I've had the baby, because I want to minimize future problems. But yes, I'm concerned about my baby and whether he is also at risk. I have 2 older kids, did not have GD with the first, supposedly didn't have it with the second, but he was born large and hypoglycemic, so I suspect I did and the doctor missed it. I guess I need to do more research on this matter. Do you know where I can look?

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 10:26 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you, burgundy. The GD was entirely diet controlled and 6 week pp test confirmed its gone- though obviously I'm at risk in future pregnancies and I know I'm at risk of type 2 as well. I have actually remained on the diet even though I've had the baby, because I want to minimize future problems. But yes, I'm concerned about my baby and whether he is also at risk. I have 2 older kids, did not have GD with the first, supposedly didn't have it with the second, but he was born large and hypoglycemic, so I suspect I did and the doctor missed it. I guess I need to do more research on this matter.

Yes, Drs often miss it because insulin kicks in to lower blood sugar. But elevated insulin levels are extremely unhealthy on many levels. Eventually insulin can't keep up or because of damage to the pancreas (by insulin) your body can't produce enough and glucose levels remain dangerously high.

You probably know- but even though you aren't classified as GD anymore, you definitely are still insulin resistant or prediabetic.

Aside for the genetic predisposition (of which your other children are the same) this child is at a higher risk for diabetes and obesity. Obviously you want to raise them with a lot of health awareness so that they don't face the same issues you do.

I'm with you in this, even though I wasn't classified as GD. My Drs didn't tell me anything about my prediabetic sugar (cause who cares about prevention?) levels and I only found out after extensive bloodwork as I was trying to find out why my milk never came in. Now with diet and exercise, I've been able to reduce my A1c to lower (yet still insulin resistant) numbers. And everybody thinks I'm crazy because I'm trying to raise my daughter on a diet that this not carb centered.

estibesty

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 10:34 pm
I had Gd and I was on meds Bec it wasn't controlled with my diet even thou I was perfect! I am so nervous and I test my ac1 a bunch times since she was born less then 2 yes ago and it been bh perfect! I know my future I'm gonna be big time at risk for diabetes so I excersise and diet now and hopefully I can keep it down! Good luck! I believe the baby is not at all harmed or prone to the diabetes for the future!

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 10:40 pm
estibesty wrote:
I believe the baby is not at all harmed or prone to the diabetes for the future!

Wrong.

http://care.diabetesjournals.o......full

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 10:45 pm
amother wrote:
Do you know where I can look?

For me google is usually the way to go. I'm also lucky to be part of a private Facebook group along with some women who are really well educated in this area.

I guess you'd have to start with a thorough (I'm still learning new things every day!) undertanding of how insulin works, what insulin resistants means and how it affects your body.

Books I'd recommend
"It Starts With Food"
"The Hormone Cure"

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 10:46 pm
estibesty wrote:
I had Gd and I was on meds Bec it wasn't controlled with my diet even thou I was perfect!

Just curious what a perfect diet means to you. Can you share?

rofa

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 11:44 pm
amother wrote:
The GD was entirely diet controlled

If a mother has controlled blood glucose the prognosis for her child is better.

It works like this- during the nine months they are in their mother's womb, they get their blood glucose from her and their blood glucose levels reflect her blood glucose levels. If Mom has high glucose levels, then baby has high glucose levels, and baby's pancreas has to spit out insulin to process it just the way we do. The higher their mother's blood sugar, the higher baby's blood sugar, the more insulin they make, the bigger they get, the more insulin resistant they become EVEN BEFORE BIRTH.

But if blood glucose is under control- the baby doesn't have to deal with that.

miami85

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 12:17 am
amother wrote:
Yes, Drs often miss it because insulin kicks in to lower blood sugar. But elevated insulin levels are extremely unhealthy on many levels. Eventually insulin can't keep up or because of damage to the pancreas (by insulin) your body can't produce enough and glucose levels remain dangerously high.

You probably know- but even though you aren't classified as GD anymore, you definitely are still insulin resistant or prediabetic.

Aside for the genetic predisposition (of which your other children are the same) this child is at a higher risk for diabetes and obesity. Obviously you want to raise them with a lot of health awareness so that they don't face the same issues you do.

I'm with you in this, even though I wasn't classified as GD. My Drs didn't tell me anything about my prediabetic sugar (cause who cares about prevention?) levels and I only found out after extensive bloodwork as I was trying to find out why my milk never came in. Now with diet and exercise, I've been able to reduce my A1c to lower (yet still insulin resistant) numbers. And everybody thinks I'm crazy because I'm trying to raise my daughter on a diet that this not carb centered.

I had GD with my first pregnancy and not with my next 2. I was diet controlled as well, no medication. I've been through several 3 hour tests with each pregnancy.

So far my GD child has the "healthiest" weight of my 3 kids--my other 2 aren't "fat" just more solid and tall. My GD kid--he's 5 now-- is the most Average
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics