Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby is VERY fussy while eating - wwyd?

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Apr 25 2016, 9:07 pm
B"H first time mom here - I need advice/tips.

My baby is just over a month B"H

He is eating formula, and when he eats, he gurgles, grunts, and wriggles like crazy.

He eats nicely for the first few minutes (1-1.5 oz) and then gets super squirmy. He cries out for a few minutes at a time a few times during the feeding.

He also doesn't burp. He didn't burp even in the hospital, and they said, "okay, some babies don't burp". Thank G-d he doesn't spit up much, except when I try to get him to eat more when he's really done.

1) What should I do when he squirms while drinking? Take the bottle out or keep feeding? He sucks even when he squirms.

2) Does the squirming mean he's gassy? How can I help him?

Because of the squirming, I take frequent breaks to "burp him" and feedings take so long (45-60 minutes; hospital said it should take 30). I don't mind during the day, but at night, I'm so tired.

Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

yogabird

Post Mon, Apr 25 2016, 10:09 pm
Did you check for tongue tie?

LittleDucky

Post Mon, Apr 25 2016, 10:24 pm
Ask your pediatrician.
Maybe there's something bothering your infant in the formula? Like a milk allergy? I didn't use formulas so don't know this firsthand but it could be something to look into.
What bottle do you use? Each brand is different- with my pumped milk I saw that certain bottles worked better.

mommy best

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 1:35 am
It could be from gulping too fast. Then you should try to get him to burp. Lay him on your lap an pat his back. That might help him burp.
Good luck, With your yummy baby!

mummiedearest

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 8:13 am
I had one kid who did that, and she only burped while being wiggled and bounced. complicated to explain. it took her a good few minutes to get the burp out, too. keep trying until baby's comfy.

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 11:27 pm
yogabird wrote:
Did you check for tongue tie?

I second this.

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 12:42 am
It might be reflux. Ask your pediatrician.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics