Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Program that teaches arithmetic

sourstix

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 5:16 pm
can someone who homeschools and knows of a good program that sells a good rating program that teaches arithmetic? my son has only the concept of number till 15. I need something that has software and books with maybe some incentive but also a program that is geared to young children. that would have songs that would help him remember numbers. he isnt motivated so I need something that has that.

if I am not clear please let me know. ds is behind in school he came to a higher level in school and he needs to catch up. thanks so so much. if anyone can help me I really appreciate it.

Skippy!!

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 5:31 pm
Khan Academy
Starfall

HappytoHS

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 5:36 pm
How old is your son?

I love the videos at educationunboxed.com made by a homeschooling mom using Cuisinaire rods. The rods are a fantastic tool for teaching number sense and just about every arithmetic and mathematical concept right on through algebra. Kids love to play with them and a set of rods costs under $20.

There is also an app based on C-rods called Dragonbox Numbers: http://www.amazon.com/WeWantTo.....mbers . I don't have it (my kids love the actual rods) but it's gotten great reviews and Dragonbox apps in general are excellent.

sourstix

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 7:12 pm
thanks so much for your replies will look into it. cant mention ds age. sorry.

sourstix

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 8:00 pm
thanks I just checked it out the rods isnt for me. maybe starfall has something interesting. but I have to pay. do you know of something that doesnt cost? that has teaching numbers in song version as opposed to rods?

sourstix

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 8:51 pm
can someone recommend a program I can buy? not the ones where you pay a fee for the year and then you have nothing left?

HappytoHS

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 5:25 am
sourstix wrote:
thanks I just checked it out the rods isnt for me. maybe starfall has something interesting. but I have to pay. do you know of something that doesnt cost? that has teaching numbers in song version as opposed to rods?

You can pick a tune you both like, make your own counting song and do lots and lots of counting around the house. Count forks in the drawer, count stairs, count the laundry as you fold it, count the number of steps you take from the house to the car and the car to the store, count your groceries as you check out etc. Make it silly and fun for the two of you but don't do it if it isn't fun for your ds.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics