Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
What do you look for in a Magazine Recipe?

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 1:23 pm
What makes the recipes in the magazines you read good?
For the recipes that you try from Magazines:
Are they easy? Look nice and plated beautifully? Different? Healthy? Kid friendly? ...

So basically, what kind of recipes appeal to you as the reader?

watergirl

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 1:27 pm
Affordable ingredients - not meat. Weeknight-able. Kid friendly. One pot/all in one type. Does not require ingredients that I have to buy specifically for this one recipe.

When I see a recipe in Mishpacha with red meat for a weeknight meal, or if it calls for something that is hard to find kosher unless you live in NY, it turns me off in a big way.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 1:30 pm
Not too many ingredients.
Not too many separate steps.
No ingredients that require a trip to a specialized market.

For me, I think the separate steps is what puts me off the most. If I have to do 2 hours of prep, make three sauces, and use every pan in the house - I'm not going to bother. I don't care how good it is going to taste!

bigsis144

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 1:37 pm
As soon as I see "6 eggs, separated" I skip to the next recipe. I WILL NEVER SEPARATE EGGS.

In general, I don't like getting 12 different pots, pans, plates, spatulas, etc. dirty.

No specialized equipment (spiralizer, julienne peeler, unique molds, etc.) since I don't have room in my kitchen to buy lots of kitchen gadgets.

I'm open to trying new ingredients, but some "sponsored recipes" seem to be aimed at their [wealthy] New York audiences and not more out-of-town locations. If I can FIND kosher butterscotch chips, they're probably $7 a container. I'll just have to dream about it.

I wish I had time/patience to wash and cut up a TON of fresh vegetables/herbs, but I tend to stick to simple salads/soups simply out of temporal necessity.

A picture of a nicely plated/presented dish will pique my interest and make me want to try it, but HA HA HA HA HA if you think I'm doing anything fancier than putting that batter in a Bundt pan or bringing the entire pan of roasted chicken to the table to be served family-style.

mha3484

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 1:39 pm
I am not anti meat but I would like some variety such as recipes that give ideas of how to stretch the meat a bit. A new take on stir fry or meat sauce etc. We all like the empire chicken sausages and they are an affordable protein for our family size but how many times can I serve them with pasta? Gets boring. I would like more creative low cost meat ideas. I have read great ideas about how to utilize cheap cuts of meat in non kosher magazines and would love to see a kosher take on it.

pause

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 1:42 pm
Easy, not too many steps
No weird ingredients
No prepared ingredients like ready-made sauces, ready-made dough, etc.

watergirl

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 1:42 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
As soon as I see "6 eggs, separated" I skip to the next recipe. I WILL NEVER SEPARATE EGGS.

In general, I don't like getting 12 different pots, pans, plates, spatulas, etc. dirty.

No specialized equipment (spiralizer, julienne peeler, unique molds, etc.) since I don't have room in my kitchen to buy lots of kitchen gadgets.

I'm open to trying new ingredients, but some "sponsored recipes" seem to be aimed at their [wealthy] New York audiences and not more out-of-town locations. If I can FIND kosher butterscotch chips, they're probably $7 a container. I'll just have to dream about it.

I wish I had time/patience to wash and cut up a TON of fresh vegetables/herbs, but I tend to stick to simple salads/soups simply out of temporal necessity.

I like a picture of a nicely plated/presented dish, but HA HA HA HA HA if you think I'm doing anything fancier than putting that batter in a Bundt pan or bringing the entire pan of roasted chicken to the table to be served family-style.

Loved the butterscotch chips! I remember when a certain kosher for pesach cookbook came out and everyone rushed to buy it. In my city, not "in town", people used the book as a footstool. Klp cranberry sauce? Where we lived, there was literally a shortage of garlic powder that year and we all shared (didnt know that would happen till after everyone bought the cookbook). It called for all types of meat, and where we lived, there was brisket and chicken. Maybe shoulder. Lamb chops? Ha!
Now I live in a bigger city with ample kosher stuff and can still hardly find the ingredients some of these kosher cook books call for, and like you said, at that price, forget it.

lfab

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 1:48 pm
I look for recipes that are easy/not too many steps, quick to make, uses simple/common ingredients that are not expensive (ie. no roasts or meat other than chicken/turkey or ground beef for a weeknight meal), nothing too exotic so my kids will at least be willing to try it, and at least healthyish.

sky

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 2:22 pm
No margarine
not 50% sugar
Not a thousand steps
Common ingredients
Love if it is healthy - vegetables and proteins and complex carbs without logs of sugar or sauces

OOTBubby

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 3:48 pm
I look to see if the description of the recipe and how it is served matches the gorgeous picture. In most cases it does not and even if you follow the recipe exactly, you will need many more steps, equipment, garnishes, etc. for it to look like the picture.

I also prefer to wait a few weeks before trying a recipe as there are so many corrections after the initial publication. My family and I have been burned too many times by recipes that failed and then had corrections printed later.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 3:51 pm
I have a knack for cooking and creating my own recipes. So just by reading the ingredients and quantities I can "taste" the dish and know if that is a good tasting dish or not.
I like quick and easy recipes that taste good....I also love when dishes incorporate a lot of color such as multicolored pepper, with purple onions etc...

cnc

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 3:53 pm
Not too many steps or pots.
No exotic ingredients that I will have no use for after cooking this dish.
Concise instructions.

pointyshoes

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 4:09 pm
Nothing with ingredients that I can't find in my cupboards
I'll buy max 1-2 new ingredients and only normal things from the local grocery
I'll do 2 or 3 steps if its really worth it but no more

Ema of 5

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 4:19 pm
amother wrote:
What makes the recipes in the magazines you read good?
For the recipes that you try from Magazines:
Are they easy? Look nice and plated beautifully? Different? Healthy? Kid friendly? ...

So basically, what kind of recipes appeal to you as the reader?

I like healthier recipes that are not a patchke to make. they dont have ingredients that I need to buy specifically for that recipe and will never use again. the presentation is nice, but making and putting it together is really very simple. kid friendly is a great bonus, but my kids dont really eat much so its not a must.

PAMOM

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 5:25 pm
I try to watch carbs and live easy ethnic food (Indian,Thai, etc), I love recipes like that (emphasis on easy).

Simple1

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 5:34 pm
Very short ingredient list and very few instructions. But at the same time still interesting enough to want to try. I like nice pictures too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room