Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
How much did pesach food cost you?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 7:15 pm
I don't Know why $15,000 is off but I'm shocked at how little people spend. My parents spend way over $15,000 and same thing just married siblings. But growing up of course a yom Tov meal is tongue first and then another meat pllus many sides and dessert. In one meal my mother would make five tongues just for an appetizer and each tongue is $65.

I guess everyone grows up differently. But to me not having huge meals with a lot of meat is not yom tov.

Taking married kids to hotels is over 200,000. And many people spend it.

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 7:21 pm
amother wrote:
I don't Know why $15,000 is off but I'm shocked at how little people spend. My parents spend way over $15,000 and same thing just married siblings. ...

The average American Jew doesn't have this kind of money available to spend. I can understand that you may have grown up in affluent circles and become used to spending this much money. Most of us do the best we can with what we have.

cnc

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 7:27 pm
amother wrote:
The average American Jew doesn't have this kind of money available to spend. I can understand that you may have grown up in affluent circles and become used to spending this much money. Most of us do the best we can with what we have.

Well said.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 7:28 pm
I was not able to make Pesach myself for the past two years, but having hosted large groups in the past (my immediate family, kids and grandkids is over 70 people, though we've never had them all together at once), I can see how one could spend $15,000. If I hosted 30 adults, I would probably have 2 meats for the main course and each could be $100 each for that number of people. Pesach is 8-10 Yom Tov & Shabbos meals. So 2 mains per mail at that cost is $2000 alone. I've bought up to 60 lb. of hand shmura for some years. We get that at cost from our Rov who bakes in very large quantities, for $20/lb. That is $1,200; if someone had to pay full retail for it, it could be any where from $1800 and up. Add in cost of wines which if you like good ones, can be close to $100/bottle (fortunately we like the cheaper stuff). Either nice paper goods or enough help to wash dishes adds a good price. If you buy (rather than bake) cakes and cookes -- those go for over $8 for a small box (I prefer to bake myself). So, it can add up easily.

amother
Green

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 7:30 pm
amother wrote:
I don't Know why $15,000 is off but I'm shocked at how little people spend. My parents spend way over $15,000 and same thing just married siblings. But growing up of course a yom Tov meal is tongue first and then another meat pllus many sides and dessert. In one meal my mother would make five tongues just for an appetizer and each tongue is $65.

I guess everyone grows up differently. But to me not having huge meals with a lot of meat is not yom tov.

I am very happy for you that you grew up this way and are accustomed to it. My sincere bracha is that it should always be as easy as it is now for you to afford it. But - please take this nicely, its intended to be nice. Maybe start to eat a bit less fancy food, or less courses at meals. The bottom may fall out at some point, and it hurts when you land. Signed, someone who also needed to have meat to make it a yom tov, and now struggles for chicken bones.
Try to find simchas hachag is less gashmiustick places if you can. There is a lot more than food and toungue appetizers to a meal.

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 7:31 pm
We spent about $500 for a family of two (mother and DD) with one guest two times. That includes matzah, wine and paper products. It seems an obscene amount to me but I honestly can't think of where I could cut corners any more than I did and have it feel yomtov'dik.. We didn't eat beef just chicken. I don't buy prepared anything. I did "splurge" on some special fruit like mangos and pineapple, but it needs to feel like yom tov.

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 8:30 pm
I would say that probably most people who would host 30 people for the entire y"t would spend around $10,000. They must have had extras and if they can afford it that is fine for them.

finprof

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 8:35 pm
Ok, so I said I planned to spend less than $500 when we first did this poll....we only had guests once and were out for both seders (although we did bring 8 bottles of wine!)... all in all I'd say that we spent about $550.

tichellady

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 8:43 pm
amother wrote:

Even if I had that type of money I wouldn't want to cook that much. No thank you! I have enough on my plate making one make course per meal . And if I ate that way I would feel sick and bloated. So it's not only about money. Different strokes for different folks.

Notsobusy

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 9:29 pm
wifenmother wrote:
Same here. And it isn't cheap.

I don't think most of the initial posters included hand shmura matza plus erev Pesach matza for each kaara. We average 2 lbs. of hand shmura matza per person over 8 days and that adds up too.

Most people I know don't buy erev Pesach matza. Many don't even buy hand shmura matza, they buy machine matza which is much cheaper.

Coffee Addict

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 10:00 pm
I have no idea how much I spend, but probably to much! I don't know how you ladies know exactly how much it costed you?!

So I think roughly 2k. I don't think it's to much though, for my family plus some guests.

anuta

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 10:40 pm
I spent $250 more than usual for food this month, and about $100 on new small appliances for pesach. I was suprized it was so little. But this is on top of my regular food budget which is aboit $350 a week for a family if 7.
I bought no wine ( guests brought some, we are not into alcohol). I got two free five pound boxes of matza with coupons at a local supermarket (Giant). At their pre pesach sale I saved a third if the total receipt amount! On chol hamoed when seders were over they discountrd pesach stuff even further and I savrd over 50% of my receipt! Dark chocolate Elite bars were 65 cents each!

I only shopped at the jewish store for things I couldnt get at Giant, Costco or Trader Joes
I didnt buy huge cases of paper plates at costco because supermarket brand is cheaper and you dont overbuy

zigi

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 10:50 pm
under a thousand 800 or so. and it lasted 3 weeks. still didn't go shopping yet for 9 and one bought their own matza. cleaning supplies did add to the total and new bottles etc klp medicine

Raisin

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 6:03 am
amother wrote:

How do people eat so much food? And on pesach there are at least EIGHT meals like this, spread over one week. Do you all put on tons of weight? How do you even enjoy a meal like this when you just had a similar one 5 hours earlier?

For most of my meals I did a vegetable soup (very cheap) or chicken soup, followed by meat or chicken, sometimes both, one or two sides, a salad, dessert. And that was plenty.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 9:34 am
glutenless wrote:
Most people I know don't buy erev Pesach matza. Many don't even buy hand shmura matza, they buy machine matza which is much cheaper.

Yes, but some people do buy it and that is obviously one of the reasons they spend more.

boysrus

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 9:40 am
Raisin wrote:
How do people eat so much food? And on pesach there are at least EIGHT meals like this, spread over one week. Do you all put on tons of weight? How do you even enjoy a meal like this when you just had a similar one 5 hours earlier?

For most of my meals I did a vegetable soup (very cheap) or chicken soup, followed by meat or chicken, sometimes both, one or two sides, a salad, dessert. And that was plenty.

great post raisin.
I feel the same way.
Starter = light soup or salad
main = 1 protein, 2 or 3 sides (all vegs)
dessert = fruit/sorbet/sponge cake

When people eat huge huge meals over yomtov, in my opinion it starts as 'l'kovod yomtov' but it ends up as more 'l'kovod my tastebuds/appetite/desire for gastronomical delights' than 'lkovod yomtov' - in other words, becoming more completely gashmiyus and not at all ruchniyus........ but that's just my opinion fwiw

amother
Azure

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 9:48 am
amother wrote:

200,000? Maybe some billionaires!

Which hotel, how much does this hotel cost per adult and per child, and how many adults and children are we talking about?

amother
Azure

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 10:05 am
doodlesmom wrote:
Actually naturalmom its $500 pp

I was originally shocked at the high cost but if you think about it, the cost of feeding adults is generally double that of feeding kids.

This group had 7 women helping, so I assume there were roughly 7 couples, and the balance of the 30, were roughly 16 children in varying ages.

That works out mathematically to

Roughly 14 adults each eating $10,000 worth of food, roughly $700 per per adult, roughly $88 daily.

Roughly 16 children eating $5,000 worth of food, roughly $300 per child, roughly $38 daily.

One portion of raw salmon is $4 minimum, and some days of Yom Tov one might have 2 portions of salmon, whats $88 dollars a day?

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 10:05 am
amother wrote:
One such meal is fun and over the top.
But I was once served like that at a weekend shabbos simcha at a hotel. By the second meal I was gagging on the food and couldn't stomach it.

I ate there for second days.. yes I was gagging and couldnt stomach it (im being honest Wink )
nevertheless, this is still how they serve the whole yom tov..

amother
Gray

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 10:17 am
amother wrote:
I am very happy for you that you grew up this way and are accustomed to it. My sincere bracha is that it should always be as easy as it is now for you to afford it. But - please take this nicely, its intended to be nice. Maybe start to eat a bit less fancy food, or less courses at meals. The bottom may fall out at some point, and it hurts when you land. Signed, someone who also needed to have meat to make it a yom tov, and now struggles for chicken bones.
Try to find simchas hachag is less gashmiustick places if you can. There is a lot more than food and toungue appetizers to a meal.

In some ways it is appropriate to spend more on yom tov - pesach and succos then the rest of the year.

It is brought down that men find simchos yom tov through meat and wine. And women through clothing and jewlery (doesn't have to be a gift, can buy herself, R' Yaakov said it can be food as well, like a cake she enjoys). There is definetly a very gashmius aspect to this yom tov.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics