Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Help, how do I get my 1 year old to sleep in a crib now

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 8:03 pm
bad habits bad habits I know.
For one year my baby has been sleeping in my bed at night and at first swing then stroller by day.
I have to get her to a solid schedule with either one long nap or 2 shorter naps and I want them both in her crib.
following her cues, she is still on 2 naps a day.
But every single time over the past 2 days that I have put her in the crib to nap she is hysterical. And won't calm down. I can handle cry it out but it doesn't work - fyi she has no tears shes screaming and upset but not hurt. I've let her cry for a while and she didn't lay down once I have a video monitor. She stands waiting.
Ive gone in and held her and tried more. A 10 AM nap becomes 12 pm after all is said and done. I stood over her in the crib held her hands. Stroked her cheek. Finally she fell asleep for about 25/30 minutes.
How in the world do I get us to a place where I put her down, walk out and she naps happily??? Please help!!!

pesek zman

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 8:59 pm
How long are you letting her cry before you say it's not working? At that age, crying for 20-30, even 40 minutes is to be expected. Are you giving it that long?

srbmom

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 9:02 pm
I think it may be easier to try to get her to sleep in her crib first at night and then work on the naps if you want. Crying it out is heart-wrenching and so so difficult, but worth it in the end.

We just trained our baby after having him in our room for almost a year. It took two nights of crying, probably 45 minutes and 25 minutes, and that was it. We did go in periodically to calm him and rub his back, but we did not pick him up. He is still sleeping in a stroller for naps, but he sleeps 2-3 hours so I see no reason to change that for now.

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 9:27 pm
I let her cry (more like scream) a long time def 40 minutes first time and maybe a little shorter after but she's not laying down or even moving from the corner of the crib so I feel like it's not going to matter she's not yet got the concept of going to sleep on her own in the crib.
I would rather keep her in my bed at night and work on the naps. I put her to sleep 2 hours ago in the crib so I have her start the night in the crib and then whenever she wakes up will take her to my bed for rest. She only went in the crib before once I sat with her for a half hour in my arms she was deeply sleeping then she went in crib.

pesek zman

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 9:51 pm
amother wrote:
I let her cry (more like scream) a long time def 40 minutes first time and maybe a little shorter after but she's not laying down or even moving from the corner of the crib so I feel like it's not going to matter she's not yet got the concept of going to sleep on her own in the crib.
I would rather keep her in my bed at night and work on the naps. I put her to sleep 2 hours ago in the crib so I have her start the night in the crib and then whenever she wakes up will take her to my bed for rest. She only went in the crib before once I sat with her for a half hour in my arms she was deeply sleeping then she went in crib.

You are perpetuating bad habits by taking her back to your bed when she wakes. If you want this to work you have to commit to it. Otherwise you'll be posting a year from now with the same problem
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics